Charter Arms .357 Magnum Pug 2.2" Bbl. SS

Chesster

I don't think these would be high volume shooters. I would prefer to put my money on a Smith 60 or a Ruger SP101 for a smaller .357. Personally, I liked the older Charter Arms guns, especially the Stainless Undercover 38 and the 3" Bulldog 44, but never cared for the Charco or Charter 2000 guns.

LarryH

From personal experience, i would not trust my life to a Charter 2000 handgun. Save your money and buy a Ruger SP101 or a J frame S&W.

akr

Thanks! I may have to pay a big restocking fee (darn it!!!!!!!!!!!), but I canceled my order and ordered a 3" SP-101 in .357 magnum. I only plan to shoot 38+P's through it but ordered .357 just in case. . :)

Last edited:

Chesster

AKR, you will never wear that Ruger out. Plus, you could always use the empty gun as a club without hurting it if needed. :D
I have never had a problem with any Ruger revolver and only got rid of one when I was sick of running ammo through it. Back in the 1970s when I started serious shooting of handguns, of the Colt, Smith and Ruger, the Ruger was by far the most durable. I still have a 4" and 2.75" Speed 6s from the 70s that are still going strong.

chrisf8657

akr,

You made the right choice.
I had a Mag pug (Charter 2000, bought it in mid-2006) as my first revolver. Biggest piece of sh1t that ever existed.
I have a SP101 and a S&W Model 60, both are great guns, but that SP101 is heavy and DURABLE, and it feels like it's built RIGHT, unlike that piece of junk charter.

If you want me to tell you the problems with the charter let me know ;)

You'll be mighty happy with the SP101.

Doyle

I've heard several comments that there is a generation of older Charters (made at a different location) that are quite well build. Unfortunately, I don't know remember which years (or the location).

Chesster

In Stratford Connecticut, Douglas McClennahan, a young gun designer who had previously worked for Colt, High Standard, and Sturm, Ruger founded Charter Arms in 1964 to produce affordable high-quality, reliable handguns. His first pistol was a lightweight, five-shot revolver called "The Undercover" chambered for .38 Special. McClennahan's innovation was to eschew the side plate designs used by other revolver makers for a one-piece frame, giving the new revolver a strength that allowed it to safely shoot hot loads. McClennahan also reduced the number of moving parts used in the gun and created a safety device for the firing pin.

At just 16 ounces, the new gun was the smallest, lightest steel-framed revolver in the world with the fewest moving parts. A unique hammer block system gave gun owners protection against unintentional discharges. The Undercover's high quality, light weight, and reasonable price made it popular with gun enthusiasts and law officers. It became the basis of Charter's success, and the platform upon which a comprehensive line of affordable, reliable firearms was built, including the .44 Bulldog. With the tough frame, the .44 Special that weighed less than 22 ounces became famed as the most powerful snub-nosed handgun in existence. In 1981, stainless revolvers were introduced.

The company went bankrupt in the 1990s, but the Charter design and mark was resurrected for the 21st Century by Charter 2000 in Sheldon, which was founded by the Ecker family of professional craftsmen. The new company capitalized on the fame of the old Charter Arms revolvers, which had fewer critical moving parts and a simpler design that allowed for trouble-free operation.