Charter Arm

ramp_tech

I saw a Charter Arm "Patriot" with a 4" barrel today in my local place, it was love at first sight. The price was reasonable ($319+tax) and I just loved the way it's handle--

Now here comes the question, what do you think of CHARTER ARM's product? Are they reliable and rugged like Ruger? or Are we talking about "Heritage" grade?

Thank you for your inputs!

knight0334

They aren't Ruger rugged, but they are above Heritage for sure. I'd put Charter right around Taurus in durability and quality, maybe slightly higher or lower per individual gun.

skydiver3346

Charter Arms?

Well, If I got one, it would be one the older version Charter Arms. I own a couple of the pathfinders (.22 and .22mag) and three .38 special undercover models. All are the older models (7-10 years old). Why? Because they were made much better back then than now (in my humble opinion). All steel construction, etc.

hardluk1

The newest guns are fine . They may not have the fancy outword finish as some but typical have a better cyclinder to barrel fit than any except dan wesson and do shoot well . The single action trigger is good but the double action trigger pull is heavy . Cut about 3/16" off the main spring and it will shoot much better for both trigger pulls. Most new guns now adays triggers are crap anyhow. The DA trigger does smooth up with rounds shot down range to. You will notice that the grips have more angle than say s&w and that helps to make for better control. AND for the price???. I bought a 38 snubby ultra lite for carry .My old gun is a taurus 85 and my wife can shot the 8 oz lighter charter easier than the taurus.

only1najeep

I own 2 Charter Arms offduty undercovers (one is DAO and the other is DA/SA) I bought the first one for my wife and found it to be a quality product. I am a ruger fan with alot of experince with the Ruger SP101 and the Charter is much smaller, and I enjoy both. From what I've been told during the 90's Charter Arms was made by a different company and there quality was poor, I belive it was the models marked CHARCO. I'm not 100% sure, a quick search on google and you will find a site that will tell you the whole story. I have not ever run across one that I could look at to tell. I'm sure that you will like Charter Arms.

Chesster

I like my CAs pre-Charco. I would consider current mfg items on a case by case basis and have to handle it first.

sheepman

The two that I had we OK, not S&W or Ruger but OK. Would take a Charter over Heritage or Taurus. Good luck: Bill

32 Magnum

Member In Memoriam
Here's some info that I posted on another forum back in 2008- it is still valid

The very first Charter Arms Corporation production began in 1964 in BRIDGEPORT CONN - earliest pieces - mostly Undercover model will have either NO address on the right side of the barrel or will have BRIDGEPORT.
Around 1970, address was changed to STRATFORD CONN - all pieces made after mid 1970 will be marked with that address on the right side of the barrel and all will have CHARTER ARMS CORP. as the first line. Around 1991, Charter Arms Corp. ceased operations. This was the end of the FIRST GENERATION.
Around early 1992, the company was re-organized under new leadership and became known as Charter Arms Company - CHARCO, and was located in ANSONIA CONN. All second generation pieces will be marked on the right side of the barrel with that name and address in two lines. This is the SECOND generation and apparently the period which caused the most damage to the Charter name and reputation.
In 2000, the company was again reorganized as CHARTER 2000 and relocated to SHELTON CONN. All pieces made during this THIRD generation will be marked with the SHELTON address. Early production of this generation seems to have been spotty and reputation still lagged. About a year and a half ago, the company re-reorganized under the direction of MKS Marketing and seems now to be if not flourishing at least it is progressing in quality and market share.
From the limited data set that I have been able to assemble so far the following serialization seems to be valid: (NOTE: model name and caliber will be stamped on left side of barrel on all pieces)
FIRST GENERATION
0001 - <4000 Bridgeport 1964 - ? CHARTER ARMS CORP. right side of barrel marking only
~4000 - <300,000 ? - ~1970 CHARTER ARMS CORP. over BRIDGEPORT CONN .marking
~300,000 - <1,080,000 - ~1970 to 1991 - CHARTER ARMS CORP. over STRATFORD CONN. marking

SECOND GENERATION
>1,100,000 - ??? 1992 - 2000? CHARCO over ANSONIA CONN- marking

THIRD GENERATION
000001 - to date 2000 - 2008 CHARTER ARMS 2000 over SHELTON CONN marking.

I would appreciate any data that owners of CA Corp. or CHARCO or Charter 2000 can supply to flesh out the data base. Serial numbers and barrel addresses are welcome as is any data detailing firm production dates associated with serial numbers. Thanks.
Jim Hauff
Contributing Editor to "The Blue Book of Gun Values" by S. Fjestad

PetahW

I own the prototype dual-cylinder 4" Target Pathfinder Combo (.22LR/.22Mag), now cataloged, sent to me last September by the Charter Arms owner in exchange for a problematic new Pathfinder maggie sent back under warranty last April.

His secretary told me it would have a special serial number, and it does - of the type ending in all zeroes (4 in my case) that most factories reserve for special occasions !

It's marked, as posted above, for the latest generation - and except for caliber, and extra cylinder, looks like the Patriot in the OP.

ChicagoTex

I'd rate Charter below Taurus (and for the record, I refuse to buy Taurus).

Read a lot of stories about folks buying em, liking how they felt brand new, and then finding they'd loosened up to the point of being garbage within a couple hundred rounds.

Charter used to be alright back in the day, but that was back in the day.

Ozzieman

I am a Charter Arms fan, for the 44 bull dog. There little 38’s are also good guns for the price. I would place there quality control WAY above Taurus. Strength, less.
But I would caution you on the gun you’re looking at. Charters are on the light side and shooting 357’s out of that gun will be less than fun, depending on your experience level.
I would not be afraid to buy one,
But I would suggest you save your money and get the Ruger. You will be happier in the long run.

mec

attachment.php

I shot this new pathfinder saturday. The owner did not oil it or oil it Enough. It started out with a very heavy stagy double action pull and would completely lock up after a few cylinder fulls. We oiled it and things smoothed out considerably though it would occasionally skip a chamber and I had one round of winchester western that took two double action strikes to set it off.

Point of impact was about 18 inches low at 25 yards and six inches to the right. The bullets did hit the target without tipping or keyholing. Spent case ejection required considerable force.

Last edited:

doh_312

I got a Patriot for carry purposes. Took it to the range three seperate times to get used to it before carry. The third trip out the cylinder kind of separated from the fram but did not come completely off. After 'fixing' that the hammer would not stay cocked when cocking with the thumb, and the the trigger would only cock the hammer but not fire or drop the hammer. It was the weirdest thing I've experienced with a firearm. After a dozen or so dry fires (with out the trigger actually dropping the hammer) I smacked the gun on the side with my hand and viola! She started fring again.

I did have problems with the no fire on a few rounds, put em back in and they'd fire the second time though. I decided the Patriot is not going to be a carry firearm.

mec

fortunately, the guy who bought the pathfinder only wanted something to practice double action. He's going to adjust the sight picture and hope for the best.

SwampYankee

Point of impact was about 18 inches low at 25 yards and six inches to the right.

Check the barrel. Had the same thing happen with a Police Undercover, turned out the barrel was cut wrong. The sights are physically out of line with the frame. They are fixed, cannot be adjusted. Once you look for it, it should be obvious. Sent mine back to Charter and the owner said, "Wow. How'd that even leave the factory?!".

I have bitched about Charter continuously, feel free to do a search if you want to compare problems, a lot of yours sound the same as mine.

FYI, Charter subcontracts many of their parts. They assemble them, but they don't make most of the parts. QC is a huge problem.

mec

He did notice the barrel had visible misalignment. He plans to "adjust" the point of impact with a file. If I were to try that, I would just ugly things up but he does pretty file work. I don't think you can alter these fixed sights enough to get them very close. The front sight is very wide so he may be able to shave it with a degree of success. I don't know how much he'll be able to rains point of impact before he runs out of sight though.

I've seen very mixed opinions about these revolvers on several internet boards. Some people who present themselves as experts or at least elite enthusiasts say good things but negative reports are very common about the entire line.

SwampYankee

I spent $300 on mine, managed to get it for dealer cost. I wish I had spent another $100 and picked up an SP101. In the meantime, I have managed to grab a nice .38 Speed Six. It's bigger and heavier but an infinitely better gun.

I thought about filing the sight. It needed to have half the height taken off in addition to being filed on the side. It was easier to send it back to the factory. It took them a month to fix, I pick it up on Friday, I'll see if they replaced the barrel.

It should not be that hard to CNC a .38 special barrel correctly, the first time. It's a computer, it only needs to be programmed correctly. Once. They're subcontractors cannot manage that and they don't notice when they get shipped crap.

The really sad part is that these are not complicated guns. A modicum of quality control could build a reputation that could command substantial market share. I love Ruger but they are not cheap. Shave $100 off the price and your would have a winner. Charter Arms could compete with Ruger favorably if they just paid attention. They do not. :confused:

hardluk1

mec, just change 22 ammo first, try several brands . That alone can make a different point of aim. Also pay more attention to how you site your revolver. Dominant eye being used? I bought a 38 ultra lite titannium,130z, and yes it kicks more but for what i wanted as a ccw gun it does a good job and is accurate as heck.