Charleston, SC street shooting & theoretical tactic question

old_yout

"A 13-year-old girl has died after a gunman riding in sports utility vehicle opened fire on a group of teens walking downtown."

First off, this is just tragic. According to the news story she was among a group of kids just walking down the street.

On one of the streets I've walked down hundreds of times and will walk down again in the future. That's where I'm going with this. I'm assuming there's nothing I could possibly have done if I were on the street when that happened or even in the fired upon group.
Or could I?
I can legally carry when I'm there. I figure I wouldn't be able to fire on the SUV once it passed me but what if they continued firing as they drove? Could I fire at the rear window if I could see the shooter? I'm fairly sure I couldn't chase it, but what would happen if I did if it were still shooting? Charleston is such a crowded place I would be so frightened that I might do just as much damage as the shooter if I missed.

I'm thinking this is a case wherein I should just take cover and wait until it's over. But it's happening on streets so familiar to me and I'd just feel terrible walking on them after the fact knowing that I might have been able to do something. Although, I guess if I feel as though I can live with having shot someone, having to live with not having shot someone is just the other side of the coin.
Anyway,
any thoughts?
S

Last edited:

45King

That's a no-win situation; sometimes, even if you are properly equipped and ready, there's still nothing you can do except take cover and make mental notes (I always try to have a pen and a few business cards on me in case I need to make notes.)

It's not a good idea to shoot at a moving vehicle on crowded city streets. It's a double not-good idea in Charleston, where the streets are so narrow and crowded with pedestrian traffic.

KSFreeman

Fire at a vehicle that has passed you?:eek: Yikes!

Remember Problem #2 and Rule #4! As well, remember the first and only rule of fighting--DON'T.

dinosaur

Put yourself in the shoes of a police officer. What would he or she do? Except for the fact they have a radio and are supposed to be more observant than the regular citizen, all you could do is be a good witness and maybe render first aid.

El Rojo

If they don't stop, don't shoot, take cover. If they stop, shoot. You must make sure if you decide to shoot, you have to aim well and not have any "flyers". If you hit someone or something you are not supposed to in the firefight, you are going to get in trouble. All of this has to be weighed in about three seconds time. Sometimes there just might not be anything you can do. Be aware of your surroundings and try your best to avoid trouble. Whatever you do, don't chase the vehicle and if they are fleeing, don't bother. Now if you see them coming back and you don't have any cover or you see others that don't have cover, you might want to consider it. It just all depends. If you have good cover or if you can find it, I would hole up and get on the cell phone. It is just a bad situation.

Most law enforcement agencies don't permit shooting at moving vehicles. The reason is that handguns generally won't penetrate the glass and will deflect with the possibility of injuring a bystander. Now, if said aggressor vehicle was attempting to ram the officer, an exception is made.

Unless a life is endangered, better to be a good witness who will testify in court.

(Alas, poor Charleston! You too have succumbed to the vices of the inner city. Your ancient streets no longer reverberate exclusively with the clopping of horses' hooves as they vie with gunfire.)