Charles Daly - Winter Project

Big George

Yesterday and old Marine buddy and I went to work on a new Charles Daly that I had just purchased. I had owned a Charles Daly over a year ago and it was full of sharp edges and ill fitting parts. I sold it after about 800 rounds and some new parts to keep it running.

While at a gun show several weeks ago I saw a new CD, and was really impressed with the exterior which appeared to have been dehorned considerably. I noticed that the trigger still wobbled about, and the firing pin stop and barrel bushing were loose as a goose. But, for $309. , it was a bargain.

My buddy and I went to work replacing the firing pin stop, extractor, and barrel bushing with new EGW parts. These three items required some honing and/or tweaking to fit.

A McCormick trigger, hammer, and sear proved to be "drop-in" parts. A full length guide rod and recoil spring, and sear spring from EGW completed the job.

Next we took the gun to the range where the new 3.5 lb crisp trigger released over 150 rounds of varying loads and bullets with incredible accuracy.

I have slightly over $400. in the gun , it is a joy to behold, and should give me many years of good service...Not bad for an afternoons work!

BigG

Congratulations and good luck with yer new pistol Big George!

BigG (not Big George!!) :D

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson
If you have to shoot a man, shoot him in the guts, it may not kill him... sometimes they die slow, but it'll paralyze his brain and arm and the fight is all but over Wild Bill Hickok
Remember: When you attempt to rationalize two inconsistent positions, you risk drowning as your own sewage backs up.
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG

bk40

Congrats on your success! Replacing parts, fitting and tweaking on a 1911 is a great enjoyment for me, plus you know your weapon much more intimately.

ak9

Thanks for the info. I have been considering doing the same thing. Which model did you get, if I may ask? CD looks like a diamond in the rough to me.

[This message has been edited by ak9 (edited January 12, 2000).]

Big George

My new CD is a government model....Warning, in MHO the early Charles Daly with serial #s starting with the letter "A" are troublesome. This new CD serial # starts with "CD0046XX" it is a much improved model. Interesting that the new ones are bringing lower prices than the old ones. Don't pay over $315 plus shipping for one. I did a little better on mine. www.jcarmory.com is listing a new CD for $315.

chink

mine doesn't even have a letter in the serial number it is 7692xx

I got it last march. paid 375 to after all the fees and everything. to get in into the state. anyway, does anyone know shoots pretty good, but the blueing is coming off on parts of the gun.

i'm looking into doing much of that for my CD also. how hard is it for a amatuer gun nut like me?

------------------
It ain't mah fault. did I do dat?

Big George

There are easy jobs to do when upgrading a 1911A1. In the case of my Charles Daly, the McCormick trgger, sear and hammer dropped right in. The EGW full length guide rod is drop in.

The barrel bushing is a bit of a job and takes some time enlarging the bushing to fit the barrel. Before you order a bushing measure the ouside diameter of the barrel. The ejector needs to be tuned...We used Layne Simpsons guideline for this. The firing pin stop can be done using files or, in my case, I used some knife sharpening stones to hone the stop to a tight fit.

It's really interesting and fun. After we finished the beer was cold and good! The next day we shot the CD and were amazed by it's perfect functioning and tack driving ability. Of course, after the shoot,the beer was cold and good also!

ak9

I saw a CD at the show the other day, but is was a compact and had a made in Turkey on the frame. I had been told they were being made in the Phillipines. I assume that you have the full size guvmit. Know anything about the compact?

rblack

I have the CD 1911 with the 4" barrel, I don't know if they call this the compact or not because they also make one with a 3 1/2" barrel. I also had a full size some time back and both of mine are made in the Phillipines. The 4" barreled one has a lot better fit and finish than the older full size. It is also very accurate and the trigger pull is better than the older model. Rod Black