Charles Daly HI Power

MosinM38

Ok... Question for all of you ;)

What about Charles Daly HI-Powers? That is your opinions?

I have heard from differant people that they are POS and Fantastic guns...
Question #1
Now what I have gathered is that the EARLY HI-Powers weren't as good as the current production ones.. Is that true?

Question #2.
I have heard that the CD is prone to hammer bite... I assume that is a normal HP problem? I doubt it is the gun itself but I don't know.

My uncle had a brand of 1911 (Clone. Cant remember what company :( ) It BTS out of his hand. BUT.. he got another company later (After swearing not to own another 1911 again ;) ) and it hadn't happened again.

Also... What other HP's are there that are any good? Clonewise... A original Browning is almost out of the question... a .40 would be nice but comparing 9MM to .40 Ammo the 9MM wins out. Adjustable sites would be nice.

Many thanks with this guys!! Browning HI-powers are bueatiful guns and I was wondering before convincing dad he needs one. ;) (Hey I cant help that his gun collection has grown almost 50% in the past 4 years).

ohen cepel

I would get a Browning or new FN. Not that much more than a Daly and I think the quality is a bit better, also, no issues with repairs or parts if needed.

HP's can "bite", it's more the shooter than the gun though. Can be fixed if needed.

I would stick with 9mm for a HP. I don't think the .40 redesign works well on it, too beefy for me.

MosinM38

Hmmm. Really? I have been watching GunBroker pretty closely and the cheapest FN or Browning was $550.

Dad can get a CD for $299 (From a FFL dealership catalog). I dunno. I guess possibly having higher quality will be better...

I am curious because I have had good luck with "Cheap" guns. Everybody hates Charter Arms Explorer 2's.... Me and dad have 2 and both work beautifully. Plus a couple others that people have cursed before ;)

I will watch for a Browning or FN... If None can be found and a CD shows up..eh.. I dunno... Anyway. Thanks for the tip :D

DonR101395

Have you thought about an FM? They are made in Argentina under license from FN with FN tooling. They aren't a clone, but they aren't as pretty as a Belgian either. They use a paint on military finish. You can find them on gunbroker for under $400. I bought one in June for $325NIB delivered.

HorseSoldier

Now what I have gathered is that the EARLY HI-Powers weren't as good as the current production ones.. Is that true?

To an extent, I suppose that is true. Like most long-lived firearms designs, FN introduced various (relatively minor) modification to Dieudionne Saive's initial P-35 production model. Some of those were aimed at streamlining production (like the external extractor), some were aimed at increasing reliability and/or durability.

But, my 1962 vintage P-35 shoots pretty much as well my 2005 production Mark IIIS (hates aluminum cased Blazer ammo, but it's not my only pistol that does). I think it is one of those things where you're not really going to notice much difference except if you're using the gun for competition or otherwise clocking very high round counts.

I have heard that the CD is prone to hammer bite... I assume that is a normal HP problem? I doubt it is the gun itself but I don't know.

Like ohen cepel said, hammer bite tends to be an unfortunate aspect of the pistol's ergonomics for some shooters, based on their grip, hand size and who knows what else. I have very big hands, and have yet to be bit by a High Power. Other people have it happen to them pretty regularly, and spend money getting hammers modified or replaced, etc. -- it can be fixed if you find it to be an issue.

Also... What other HP's are there that are any good? Clonewise... A original Browning is almost out of the question... a .40 would be nice but comparing 9MM to .40 Ammo the 9MM wins out. Adjustable sites would be nice.

Bud's Gun Store online has Browning rollmarked (FN made) High Powers for a bit under $600 which is about the best price I've found reliably for new High Powers. If that's outside the price range, but a $300 Charles Daly is in the price range, I'd say get the CD.

balin

My CD shoots very well. Very accurate, tight well put together. The finish is nothing to brag about a little to the dull side. The only problem that I had was it did not like to shot hollow points from the mag it came with. Picked up a couple Mec-Gars and have had no problems since.

rellascout

Older Hi-Powers are great guns. The only real difference is that they will not take a heavy diet of +P ammo.

I have a very nice 1972 Hi-power and is it my finest 9mm.

MosinM38

ok Thanks for the replys!!!

There is usually a gunshow around late october aways from here. Might nose around for a Browning or FN. If that fails than a CD it is... Planning on getting it by April though... When Nov 08 comes the new electee (Depending on who it is) may not like them ;)

Cliff47

Should you decide on an FM Hi-Power, look for one of the Pre-M90 models with the distinctive 'step' at the muzzle end of the slide. These are the truest FMs of the bunch. They all come with the spur hammer (which can bite), and can be picked up for a reasonable price. I stumbled upon one in a local gun shop for $200, and it followed me home.

As far as the Charles Daly, mine has a gritty trigger pull, and I still can't get used to the sights. I guess it is part of the collection as a variant of the FEG line of pistols.