Charles Daly Field

GodblessAmerica

I'm looking for some opinions. I bought a Charles Daly 24 in. synthetic semi auto this spring for Turkey hunting. Unfortunately I didn't get to go, so in the box it still sits. I know that it's not the best available but I bought it because it was cheap and an auto, fulfilling my want for both a minimal use Turkey hunter and home defense weapon. I went to overview a trap and skeet range today to decide if it would help me get used to the gun by shooting it in that environment (don't have anywhere else to shoot it). Do you think it will hold up to using it on the range regurlarly? Should I just trade / sell it off and get a better multi purpose shotgun? Cost isn't a problem on a replacement I just want a really good one for all three purposes. Is that achievable? Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Go shoot it and see how you do with it. While a Daly isn't top line, a few thousand rounds fired at clays shouldn't reduce it to rubble. and any defensive weapon has to be fired and fired often.

Go have fun with your shotgun. If fit and form are good, you'll have lots of fun on the road to expertise.

imq707s

I have a friend who bought one of the cheaper versions of the Charles Daily Auto shotgun and he has trouble with it not wanting to eject some of the lighter game loads. Other than that, he's had really good luck with it. I would take it to the range and run as many rounds through it as you can just to make sure you don't have any problems.

GodblessAmerica

Charles Daly

Thanks for the help. You're right in that it needs to be shot to prove it out. I guess I was comparing the Daly quality level to my unfired Python! I heard the same thing about the 2 3/4" shells not always cycling the action, but thought about them for the range, because many of the regulars use 20 Ga. so they don't get beat up so bad, esp. by the synthetics. Probably not apples to apples comparison either so I'm gonna take it with 3" target loads the first time and see what happens. Has anyone seen / heard anything about the "managed recoil" ammo new this year? Thanks again!

Loam&LtGrn

I recently bought a Charles Daly "Field Tactical" or vice versa 3", while I thinks its a little light (synthetic stock) for the 3", I've yet to have a problem shooting 2 3/4"... :cool:

Plus is was an offer I couldn't refuse... :D