Charles Daly 1911&HP questions

kittyhawk

Hi all, has anyone out there in cyberland and any dealings with the Charles Daly Pistols IE, the 1911 Field and the Hp 9mm, I cannot locate any around me in NE Houston, Any info would help.

Dave

azredhawk44

I have a Charles Daly 1911 Empire. I bought it used and had it re-parkoted by arizona expert arms (azexarms.com). They did a great job on it and it came out looking brand new.

It is very accurate and reliable. It is not a suitable platform for experimental 1911 calibers such as .45super or .460rowland, however.

If you get one and respect it for what it was built to do, it will not let you down, IMHO.

Capt. Charlie

Moderator Emeritus
Seems people either love 'em or hate 'em, no middle ground. I have the 1911 Field EMS and I'm very happy with mine. In the beginning though, I did have some feed issues that were easily corrected by dumping the factory mags (really crappy mags, suggest you do the same right off) and getting Chip McCormick match grade mags. I had a few rounds that would not fully seat, and I replaced the 16# factory recoil spring with a Wilson 18 pounder, which did the trick. The Daly's do seem to need a break in period. But some folks here say they've had bad experiences with Daly. Methinks the quality control thing is somewhat hit or miss.

edwardyoung

I've had a couple that I had no problems with. I sold them because I could get more out of them than I paid. I currently have a Colt Officer's ACP that doesn't do anything better than they did, it just says Colt when I show it to people. I also got a great deal on it. If you aren't affected by the insults hurled at you by your fellow forum members, get the CD. If you are, save a step and find a used Springfield or Kimber or Colt for another $100.

AMT8951

I have an Rock Island Arms Mid-Size that built by Armscor, the same folks that make the Daly guns. Great gun, especially when you consider what I paid for it. Don't get me wrong, it's not a Kimber or a Colt, but it is a good solid shooter and a good place to start for a custom gun. I had some reliability issues when I bought the gun, but a new set of Wolff springs and some decent mags fixed that right up.

ria1.jpg

JR47

My wife bought a Charles Daly Field Grade 1911 nearly five years ago. Other than a factory Mec Gar mag that was lousy, the weapon has been reliable and about as accurate as any other entry-level 1911 out there. She loves it.:)

Ranger325

I bought a CD HP several months ago and haven't had any problems. I is a great value -$$ - and I'm happy, but I have to agree with the previous post that is seems to be a 'love 'em or hate 'em' pistol. ;)

You may also want to check Mr Camp's High Power's and Handguns site. This has been discussed in their forum as well.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/index.html