changing the factory grip

vertigo7

I bought a Hogue grip to put on my Taurus 617 snubby. Would some kind soul tell me how to remove the factory grip without butchering it? I want to keep it in good condition if I ever decide to sell the gun. I removed the screw on the bottom keeping the grip in place, but the grip refuses to budge an inch. I thought I'd better ask how to do this properly before I got creative in trying to remove it. :D

Thanks,

vertigo7

Stoic

Vertigo,

Wiggle the grip loose. The rubber grip clinches onto the metal frame and is held on tight. If it still will not budge, then add a bit of penetrating oil to the edges of the grip.:)

vertigo7

Stoic,

The old grips came off with a little persistant wiggling. The new grips, marked "Taurus small frame revolver" don't fit. Doh! Old grips went back on, new grips going back to the store tomorrow. Thanks for your help, I'll be ready when the proper grips show up.

vertigo7

22lovr

Ya found out the hard way......

Vertigo:
The model 617 is what Taurus calls a "compact" frame, as compared to the model 605, which is called a "small frame."
The fastening screw for the 617, being right on the butt of the handle, is a wrestling match to get the one-piece grip off, while the fastening screws on the 605/M85 are in the middle of the frame and come off in two pieces. Whereas the grips for the M85 in .38 spcl will interchange with the 605 in .357 mag, not so with the 617.

By the way, in my search for a small .357, I am also checking out the 617 steel model and the 605. Is yours the steel 7-shot model? How do you like it? I really like the small size/large capacity of the 617.

Nice choice......................

snubby

Finding a substitute grip for the 617 has been tough. I agree that the "ribber" grips that come standard on the titanium model make shooting the revolver very comfortable, but they hinder concealed carry due to outer garments sticking to the rubber grip (if worn IWB or Mexican style and covered by an untucked shirt, the shirt "catches" and prints with certain movements). A nice set of wood grips would be helpful. Anybody out there with a good suggestion on wood grips for the 617?

vertigo7

22lovr - yes, I have the 7-shot steel version of the 617. It was sitting side-by-side with a 605 in the case. The shop wanted a mere 10 bucks more for the 617, and with room for 2 extra rounds over the 605 in a package just as compact, it was a no-brainer. The 617 came home with me.

The titanium version would probably be better suited to carry due to weight, but I picked the steel version specifically because there was a little more weight, thinking to better manage recoil from full-power .357 rounds. I plan for the 617 to be my 'everywhere' carry gun as soon as I can find a good ankle holster for it. Any suggestions, folks? :confused:

I wanted to change the factory grip because it's just slightly too small for me to feel comfortable with. When rapid-firing several .357 rounds, my pinky tends to slide off the end of the grip. The knuckle of my index finger rides a little too high and smacks the back of the triggerguard (ouch!). When I switched out the factory grip for the other one I bought, I had a solid grip all around, and it kept my knuckle a little further from the triggerguard, because the other grip was a little thicker and it spread my hand out better when holding the gun in a firing grasp. Alas, though it fit me perfectly, it did not fit the 617 as 22lovr noted above.

And to echo Snubby's comments, some nice walnut or rosewood grips would look great, but I'd gladly accept rubber grips too. Suggestions anybody?

vertigo7

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
As noted above, you'll be looking for Taurus "medium frame" grips. I'm pretty sure Hogue makes them (in a monogrip style that attaches with a stirrup/screw setup like the "ribber" grips currently on the gun...)

22lovr

Have you checked out Taurus' website?

Vertigo7: I ordered rosewood grips for my Mod 85 Ultralite direct from Taurus' 800 # after checking what I wanted off their website. ($40 and very-very nice quality/fit) They have a rather extensive line of grips for all their pistols. Have you checked them out yet? Don't know what you'd find but it might be worth a look-see.