changing stocks on a 870

UltimaSE

I've been thinking about getting a speedfeed III stock for my remington 870. I know I know I've done a search already and I'm pretty much sold on the stock.

What I wanted to ask was if it is possible for me to do the swap from the old wood stock and forearm to the speedfeed stock and forearm myself. The smiths down here are running very behind and I would probably expect a month down time to just have them touch it. The 870 in question is a remington magnum express, no real idea how old, but it looks like it's been through a bit. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
UltimaSE

SKN

Easy to do

Remove the butt pad from the stock and then use a long screw driver to separate the stock from the receiver. You might have to add a couple of spacers to the gap between the stock and receiver when installing the Speedfeed.

The foreend is most easily removed and installed by using a special wrench to undo the nut attaching it to the action bars. You should be able to jury rig something once you eyeball the nut or perhaps you can stop by your local gun shop and borrow it for the 2 minutes it'll take to accomplish the task. You also could buy the wrench from Brownells.

UltimaSE

Does the buttpad just slip off? This 870 is rather old and it looks like the buttpad is glued onto the stock. Is there some secret or something right in front of my face that I'm missing here?

Thanks again,
UltimaSE

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Once you have the old stock off, take a minute and lightly lube the rear of the receiver where we never do under normal use.

The forend nut may be loosened and removed by using needlenose pliers in the notches. Place the tip of each plier in the notch, spread the handles and twist lightly.

While you've that apart, go ahead and lube all the metal before reassembly.

HTH...

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
Ultima, the butt pad is usually held on by two screws. Look for two slits in the pad, usually a half inch from either end. The screws need a large phillips head or cross-tip screwdriver to un-screw. Be care full, I've stripped these screws before and it's a pain to get'em out afterwards. Remington seems to use soft screws.

These wood screws use the thin piece of plastic as a stop, the threads are in the wood.

Giz

9mmMike

This is an easy job if the pump handle nut is not too tight. I would suggest getting the wrench for this. I see them all the time on ebay for cheap.
If that pump handle nut is tight, take your time and use some penetrating lubricants. If you twist on it too much, you can tweak the slide rails. Ask me how I know this! ;) You can straighten them but it takes a long time. Ask me how I know this as well! ;)
The advice on the screws is good. Use a large phillips. There should be small holes in the butt pad that look too small to push the driver through. It will go through. Use a drop of oil if you must. I spun the heads out of one of mine and wound up drilling a big hole through the middle of the pad so I could insert a long flat head screwdriver. I unscrewed the stock bolt with the boogered-up pad still in place, the brail (sp?) method.
I still have that butt stock hanging around with the ragged recoil pad still on it.

UltimaSE

Thank you guys I did got the speedfeed stock yesteday and replaced it. The needlenose pliers idea from dave Mmc worked perfectly. Quick and easy, the only problem I encountered was getting the ring out of the wood from the forearms. After that it was a simple replacement.

Thanks again guys
UltimaSE