changing barrel on remington 870

Pahoo

As peetzakilla is indicating, extremely easy. in fact, one of the easiest. As far as HD barrels go, might suggest a 20" smooth bore slug barrel. You get the same choke with sights. Check out Cabelas as they have them listed for $149.00 as well as the 18" barrel. A local dealer quoted me $165.00 and earlier this week, saw them at Dicks' for $129.99. They carry the code of ICRS-12/20. Frankly, I don't think you would have a problem finding a used one as some folks have upgraded to fully rifled barrels. You could also find a used shotshell barrel and have a smith cut it to the legal length. I repeat, "Legal Lenth". ..... :eek:

Be Safe !!!

epic4444

ya ill keep it legal...thats why i want the 18...i dont plan on using slug really...just some buck or birdshot...once i find which i like after testing at the range...but i mite get a 20 ill have to check them out...but with the 3 inch choke i can use both 2 3/4 inch shells and the 3 inch shell rite?

rantingredneck

ya ill keep it legal...thats why i want the 18...i dont plan on using slug really...just some buck or birdshot...once i find which i like after testing at the range...but i mite get a 20 ill have to check them out...but with the 3 inch choke i can use both 2 3/4 inch shells and the 3 inch shell rite?

Couple things.......

The 20" smoothbore "slug" barrel works great for buckshot too. It simply gives you sights which gives more flexibility to use slugs. You can get it with either the fixed improved cylinder choke or with the Remchoke system which gives you even more flexibility.

If the receiver of your 870 is magnum capable and the chamber (not choke) of your barrel is 3" you can use either 2.75" or 3" shells.

The choke is the constriction of the bore at the muzzle, not the chamber of the gun.

And yes, as others have already indicated, changing barrels is about as easy as changing your underwear.

Last edited:

Pahoo

epic4444
As stated before, I would recommend the 20" smooth bore slug barrel w/rifled sights. Now, If you still want to stick with the 18", I just saw that Midway is selling a Mosberg made 18.5" for the Rem 870 and selling for $99.99. Best price I've seen so far. Go to Midway and take a look. ;)

Be Safe !!!

Cumminspwrd02

I recomend the 20 inch slug barrel too. I got mine at Cabelas a while back, can't remember what i paid for it though. I wanna say about $140 for it. It has the rifle sights on it too. My choice to go for the 20 inch vs the 18 was that I also installed an extended mag tube. Now i have a total of 7 in the tube, with the longer tube the 18 inch barrel would have been a little shorter than the mag tube. The 20 inch is justa touch longer than the mag tube.

porrpk

+1 on the 20 inch

extended mag tube works much better with 20 inch.

the extra two inches won't make much of a difference in maneuverability, but IMO makes a decent improvement on patterning of buckshot and gameloads.