Change in taste...

hoytinak

Yall ever go through a change in the taste of looks on your firearms? I recently decided I wanted to take some of the plastic out of my safe and replace it with some original wood. Starting off with my Mini-14, which do yall like better? I also put the original front site and mag release back on it too. As I'm getting older I think I'm liking the looks of the original better myself. :cool:

Plastic:

Wood:

johnsorrick

Stick with the original wood stock, it looks so much better. I've got a Ruger Mini 14 as well with the original stock and I love that gun so much. One quick question though, do happen to know of a site I can go to to order original parts? The screw on the side of my stock broke and came out and I can't seem to find a place that sells screws, pins etc. All I can find are other parts that I don't need.

SR420

hoytinak Yall ever go through a change in the taste of looks on your firearms?

You betcha!

I have systematically removed all of the traditional wood stocks from my
collection and replaced them with modern aluminum and synthetic stocks.

I do this not for looks, but for enhanced functionality and performance.

Mod-1_T-1.jpg

Last edited:

dm1333

In the past few months I bought a new walnut stock for a Stevens 311, kept the original walnut that came on a 1977 10/22, put money down on a Franchi 48AL, drooled over a Franchi Rennaisance (that will be my grad school graduation or retiring from the USCG present to myself), bought a sporterized 1903 with nice wood and even polished all of my wood furniture last night.:D

Citizen Carrier

I quickly discovered hand-rubbing linseed and/or tung oil into a synthetic stock to be a singularly disappointing and unrewarding experience. :D

9 times out of 10, I prefer wood. My interest in firearms is not a utilitarian thing. There is an aesthetic aspect to it. Pride of ownership. that kind of thing.

My customized Polytech M14S currently wears a bedded "Big Red Birch" stock from Fred's, but I am seriously considering having it fit with an oversized fiberglass McMillan national match stock in conjunction with a heavy barrel fitting and gas system unitizing.

kristop64089

I almost always prefer wood to plastic. This is why I have never understood the attraction to Arsenal firearms. Reliable or not, they just don't "do it" for me. I f I wanted an accurate AK, I'd use a 30-30;)

Seriously, looks much better OEM

L_Killkenny

Wood for me. I do have a synthetic stock on my 22-250 but I painted that anyway. BTW, the wood thing goes for hand guns also. I can't stand the looks of Houge grips on a revolver, YUCK!!

LK

As far as being more user friendly, I would have chosen to keep it surrounded by all the plastic you had on it originally.

As far as a classic, clean, look...that's obvious. Wood furniture has more personality.

That's easy anyway. Plastic has no personality...:D

ndking1126

I definitely go through changes in preference on look. I am a firm believe in "form fits fucntion", though. If I'm not using the weapon for tactical purposes, there's no reason to make it look like a tactical weapon.

Same reason I hate air scoops that are put on car hoods that don't actually push air into the engine... it just doesn't make sense. Actualy decreases airodynamic and therefore hurts performance and gas mileage.

Skans

I'm the odd man out here. I have an AC556 (full-auto mini-14) that I removed out of it's wood/steel factory folding stock and placed it in a SCAR-QCB aluminum stock.

I did this for several reasons: 1) I kept buring my hand on the gas block and desperately wanted to add a forward grip; 2) the metal butstock hurt my shoulder and was a little too short; 3) the SCAR stock lets me add holo-sites and other accessories easily on the rails; 4) I can put just about whatever kind of buttstock I want - currently have an ACE folder on it. The gun looks great and functions much better - win win, except for the $500 I had to pay for the stock.

csmsss

I find that different firearms look better to me in different livery. Tactical-style firearms typically look better to me in synthetic stocks and so forth, and more traditionally styled firearms look better to me in wood.

LateNightFlight

I find that different firearms look better to me in different livery. Tactical-style firearms typically look better to me in synthetic stocks and so forth, and more traditionally styled firearms look better to me in wood.

Exactly. I can't imagine a classic lever style gun bolted to plastic, or an AR decked out with glossy laminate. But some guns, like the Mini 14, can go either way. The Mini is bifurnishable.