Change handguns again? Geeze...

FM12

OK, here's the story. Im really trying to simplify my life in the area of handguns. Im a career LEO (30 years, firearms instructor) and a certified (at least by my family) handgun FIEND! I LOVE 'em! At one time, I was traveling in my duty vehicle with the following: S&W 5904(9MM), Sig 228(9MM), Sig 226 (40 S&W) (worn on duty), Charter Arms (38), S&W m66 (357), Browning HP (9MM), an Auto Ordnance .45 auto, S&W M 36 (38) and maybe one or two I've left out. So's, I get to thinking, TOO many different style pistols here, need to settle with ONE caliber and one style handgun, or more than one with the same opoerating style. Well, the SIG 226 is my duty gun issued to me by the state, so got to pretty much stick with that style, at least for duty. Then, I start selling my 9mm stuff, going to all 40 S&W caliber. Sell the 9MM pistols, and buy a SIG CPO 2022, for duty & off duty use. I've decided I'm going to really practice with this set up and settle down with the SIG family. BUT...I HATE the d/a on the SIGS, just cant seem to get use to it, and dont really shoot that well with them. So, what's a handgun lovedr to do? I'm now thinking about a CZ in .40 S&W. I REALLY like them, and could carry it at least 0ff duty. What's the call here, fellow handgun lovers? Should I buy one and give the Checz pistol a trial run? I had one back in 1985, but sold it to buy a 9MM sig. This is a really expensive habit. HELP, would like to hear from the CZ crowd.

FS2K

You want advice on Handguns?!?!

You qualify as a certified honest to goodness Handgun Guru FM12~

I know I could learn a whole bunch from you. :) I have no experience with CZ's so I am unable to to offer you any first hand advice, however, after reading your post one thing stuck out to me; the fact that you don't really like SIG's. You are required to carry one for work so there's not much that can be done about that, but I see no reason why you shouldn't look into getting a .40 SW CZ for your off duty carry since it seems (at least to me) that you like it. I like your idea about streamlining your collection. At the very least it will simplify things.

In the end, when all is said and done you are experienced with the SIG platform even if you don't particulary like them. You are capable of making the weapon work for you. But as far as your "personal" sidearm goes I think it would be a good idea for you to get something you really enjoy shooting. I know I tend to shoot the guns I enjoy shooting better than guns that I don't. Maybe it's because of the extra trigger time they get or whatever, but I know that I tend to be a lot smoother and more accurate with the guns I favor. I say give the CZ a try. It's not like you are bound to have to keep it, and can always sell it later if it doesn't turn out to be what you wanted.

Good Luck with your choice FM, sorry I couldn't be more of a help.

SeaMariner

Second the above... I find CZ75's pleasant to shoot (for a 9mm which I'm not a fan of the snappiness of 9mm round... me being small and all)..

FM12

Thanks, fellows...It occurred to me that you fight (shoot) as you train and ther's no realy time to be thinking: Which gun am I wearing and which one of these 13 mags will work in a reload? How do I put this on safe, is it up and locked or downm & decocked, or what? As my favorite author wrote: "Simplify, simplify, simplify"! Also trying to do the same with my reloading stuff...work all handgun calibers into one powder, and use it also for shotgun. Sure is costly, though. Seems I buy guns on the high side and sell on the low! Do you love this forum, or what?!

FM12

Thanks, Stranger..excellent posts on your thread, & somethings to think about...might check on the Tanfoglios also. Also...how about the IMI Baby Eagles. Are they similar?

Thanks for weighing on this, keep the posts coming, both pro and con for the CZs and now for the Tanfoglios. Man, I LOVE this forum. Now, I'm off to gunbroker.com ( I can tell right now this AIN'T going to be cheap) FM12

FS2K

Great points FM

In the real world time is a luxury you just don't have. I can totally relate to the buy high and sell low thing Bro, which is why I try not to sell any of my stuff anymore! LOL!:D

And yes, this here is the coolest forum on the NET.

FM12

Thanks FS2K, it's kinda like having a new buch of buddies each time you read a thread or post. I'm about to lose a crop from spending so much time here! FM12

kerank

It's kinda like having a bunch of people with the same "unhealthy" addiction. Only no one is trying to cure you! After I count the number of guns I have, and think to myself "This is ridiculous"....I come here, and most have as many or more than me, and I justfiy my next purchase. :D

In the past I have been a Glock-only kinda guy, but recently got a CZ P-01, which lead to another (75B), which lead to my desire for a third that I'm still looking for. I found out the secret that is CZ. Glocks have mostly been in the safe since.

Oh...wait.... I mean.... CZs are bad, terrible guns. No one should buy any. Leave them on the dealer's shelves. At least, until I get my fill ;). You guys are driving the price of these things up!!

FM12

KERANK: Is there a forum for those of us that are addicted to forums? Ha! I guess the good news is that I spend WAY less time now on ebay, but the bad news is I can make up for thgat time by one purchase off gunbroker.com!! Thanks for your imput about the cz pistols...maybe I can find someonw who needs to sell "Low". I just really don't see a downside except they are not real plentiful @ my local (those within 100 miles) gunshops.

I know what you mean about "the one you're looking for". I recently answered on the smith & wesson forum"What is your favorite S&W gun?" by statingthat I had 2 favorites: The one I was carring at the time(out of 4 revolvers and one semi=auto) and the next one I buy!

I guess you can have too many, though, the original point of this thread. I've got more fishing rod/reel combos, but cant defend my family with them!

And, back to forums, this is the first website for me in the a.m. and the last one at nite. Man I LOVE this forum!! FM12

RevolverLover

I HATE the d/a on the SIGS, just cant seem to get use to it, and dont really shoot that well with them.

So do you hate just the D/A system on SIGS or hate SIGS all together? If you just hate the D/A trigger system, you might want to check out SIGS DAK trigger. Granted its a new trigger you would have to get used too, but they would have that familiar feel.

And I don't understand why your thinking about carrying a CZ off-duty if you said that your duty issue is a SIG and you want to keep thinks simple. :confused:

FM12

Revolverlover...Yeah, but seems nothing is simple anymore...thanks for the input re: dak, could give it a try, but dont know anything about them. like the sigs in general, been carrying one since 1990, never failed...I loves me some revolvers too, may just ask the boss if I can just go back to an L frame until retirement, or my 2.5 66.

RevolverLover

If you like shooting DA revolvers then I would really recommend you check out a SIG with the DAK trigger because it feels like a well broken in DA revolver trigger.

FM12

How much is the conversion, if you know, and does the pistol become d/a only or still d/a-s/a? I guess the DAk can be retro-fitted to existing guns, then?

RevolverLover

How much is the conversion, if you know, and does the pistol become d/a only or still d/a-s/a? I guess the DAk can be retro-fitted to existing guns, then?

The conversion is $199.95, which includes parts/labor but they will only do it to late-model frames. The DAK is a 6.5lb DAO trigger.

Ac1d0v3r1d3

IMI baby eagle

I have both a CZ75b in 9mm and a IMI baby eagle in 40s&w. The CZ is nice since you can carry is clocked and locked. But my Beagle has a decocker. I believe that there was an earlier model that had a frame mounted safety without a decocker, but they might be hard to find.
Personally i like the baby eagle better, i like the sights more and the ergonomics are better for me, grip width and safety placement and such.

BTW, what is this DAk trigger you speak of?

SeaMariner

IMI Baby Eagles

They are the Jericho 941 with a new name... pretty much the same weapon, internally speaking... Which, btw, if anyone ever gets their grubby hands on a Jericho, with both the 9mm and 41 AE parts (barrels and such), I will cough up dough for such.