Chambers Militia Musket

ligonierbill

It has been awhile since I exercised my meager skills, but I finished this musket yesterday. My third Chambers kit, and they always have top line components. This one has a 10 gauge smoothbore barrel. It will probably serve more with shot than ball, but I have 0.760 roundballs just for fun. A working man's firearm, nothing fancy. I will be especially interested to see what kind of pattern I get with the old shotshell load of 1 1/4 oz over 3 1/2 drams of FFg.

Attachments

• Militia Musket (1).jpg
    Militia Musket (1).jpg
    653.7 KB · Views: 69

ligonierbill

Thank you. Just don't look too close. When I can, I attend the annual Contemporary Longrifle Association show in Lexington, KY. Always a dose of humility to see the work makers bring. But I believe my musket will kill a turkey if I can get him close enough. Just over a week away in Ohio, and a week later in Pennsylvania!

ligonierbill

Tested her today, two shots only. First a patched 0.760 round ball over 100 gr. FFg and an over powder wad. That ball weighs an ounce and a half. Instant ignition; love those Chambers locks. I have read that the standard British paper cartridge was 115, but a bit was used to prime. Seemed healthy, but I will try to get a chrono reading later.

The second shot was an ounce and a half of #6 over 90 gr, an over powder wad, a cushion wad with an over shot card. The old blackpowder 10 ga shotshell load was an ounce and a quarter over 3 1/2 drams, about 95 gr.

Now I need to look at point of impact and shot pattern. Good fun!