Chamber/Throat ?

unclekuster

Man, I could spend all day here, you people are awesome !!!

I bin putting a "Build" together, for some time now...no hurries, yet ! got everything (I think) except the barrel.

I've bin carrying one AR (Brand Name) around plinking with my dog and have decided to switch to a different gun (Brand Name) due to weight. Switching optics, can't afford new just now. But I'm thinking towards my build.

Working up a load for second gun, check head space and length of cartridge, find bullet jump is phenomenally long for what I am used to in my Bolt guns. so curiously checking first gun for same find longer jump. (More than 1/4 inch) But I was getting what I thought was reasonable accuracy. It's bin a while since I put it on paper, but I'm sure it is less than an inch at eighty to a hundred paces. WSR, Benchmark and Hornady 55g FMJ BT-w/c and LC range find brass is what those were. I'm aiming for the best accuracy I can get, not longevity.

Now to the real ?????

Is this throat space necessary in an AR ?
if so, why ? (I'm not sure why, but that big of a jump buggs me)
When I order the barrel for my build, can I specify tighter tolerances ?
Would that help me increase my accuracy ? (maybe my technique is wrong?)
Heavy'r bullet maybe ?
And lastly,(for now) will chrome lining throw off accuracy enough to worry about ?

I understand there are other factors for accuracy, the reloading part is what I have to work with at the moment that I can change. Not sure I am even asking the right questions. Just trying to educate myself before I commit more $$$$. I just hope someday, I can pay it forward and help someone else like you guy's have already helped me !

Ske1etor

I'm guessing that you're running a 5.56 marked barrel. The long throat length in the 5.56 is basically just for protection against over pressure caused by the projectile touching the lands before exiting the case.

If you're only shooting .233, I'd run a .223 chambered barrel, if you shoot both .223 and 5.56 and want better accuracy, go with a .223 Wylde chambered barrel.

unclekuster

Yes, both of these barrels are 5.56 and 1/9 twist. A I don't plan on changing either any time soon. But for my Build, a 20 caliber barrel is what I am looking forward to. I understand the pressure issue I think, but the way I see it, the 55g boat tails are completely clearing the brass before ever touching lands. Just seems like an awfully big jump to me. If I'm gonna order a special barrel, I want to have the kinks work'd out on E-paper before spending green paper.

bfoosh006

Weatherby's have a long throat also... that helps keep the pressures down.

BTW... here are some various .223 with 80gr COAL measurements..

http://www.radomski.us/njhp/cart_tech.htm

You can see by the freebore that there is a lot of difference.

Bottom line if it shoots good , don't think twice about it.

OOPS .... That info is pretty old , so don't take it verbatim.