Chamber inserts/adapters for rifles

TruthTellers

There's a company in Alaska called MCA Sports/Ace Bullets that makes adapters/inserts for rifles to shoot shorter cartridges like .22 rimfire or .32 ACP, .32S&W Long/.32 H&R magnum from rifles with similar bore diameters.

I'm just wondering if any here have ever tried shooting with these adapters or inserts and what were your results? I'd like to know group sizes and at what distance.

Blindstitch

I have a 32 acp in 30-30 adapter but for the price of that ammo I learned to reload some really light cowboy loads that only cost 13-14 cents a piece.

Can't say I ever used the insert.

taylorce1

I had an insert to shoot .22 LR from my .223 single shot H&R. I couldn't get any real accuracy out of the adapter. If I hit something I was aiming at at 50 yards smaller than a 12X12 square plate it was pure luck. Plus it was a PITA to not loose as I had an ejector on the rifle. I did far better when I shot .22 WMR ammo out of it, but .22 WMR got way more expensive than .223 to reload and in some cases to buy, I just spent 28 cents a round on my last brick of .22 WMR ammo!

Gunplummer

What is $25 nowdays? My experience is limited to the adapters for the M-1 to .308. They had a tendency to extract the adapter along with the case every once and a while.

Creek Henry

I got a 32 (acp, HR mag) adapter for an old 7.65 mauser i inherited. It is pretty accurate but SLOW to,reload. I got inspired to just get some used cases and reload them with pistol bullets and 8.5gr of clays. They work good too and it makes for a great, if heavy, rabbit gun.

I looked imto having a brass bushing permanently installed into the breach of that old gun to shoot 327 and HR bullets but the cost is prohibative as it is all custom work.

But the insert worked fine by itself.

tahunua001

I got adapters to shoot 7.62 tokarev out of 303 brit and 7.62x54R rifles. they are single feed only. they won't chamber from a magazine, don't even try. they are also a huge PITA to extract the smaller shell from. I built a shell extractor but it takes about as much time and effort as loading a muzzle loader. it wasn't really worth the effort for me.

Gunplummer

Yeah, I am curious too. I did a quick, hokey job on a T-99 Arisaka but chambered the barrel and made a special bolt. The ammo I had miked about .310 on the bullet right at the end of the neck. At 25 yards they were all over the place and I had a scope on it. Maybe a bad barrel? I used the same ammo in a handgun I had and it was really accurate for surplus. I talked to a guy that makes barrels for the PPSH and he said he uses .308 barrels.

Quite a few years ago Savage Arms made a adapter called (The Fortender) so's to adapt a single shot or double barrel 12 or 20 gauge to shoot 410 shot shells. The adapter tube was held in place by neoprene O-rings front & rear. The adapter worked but didn't sell well. Biggest problem with these newly lathed adapters today. Most have to be removed from there barrel to discard its empty cartridge. If your into single shot shooting and don't mind fiddling with the adapter for 5 minutes afterwards >so to unload it. Then it's worth trying.

Drm50

I had a Marbels auxiliary cartridge to fie 32acp in 30/30. At 25' it shot pretty good. Like a lot of other guys I found it made more sense to load up some
100gr 1/2 jackets to plink with. Even though it worked pretty slick and shot
decent, I was still a PIA in a lever gun. Would be worthless unless sighted for
the 32s anyway. Sighted in, the 100gr shoots squirrel at 50yds.

TruthTellers

^ That's exactly what I'm looking for. My only concern right now is the bullet diameter for .32 handguns is .312-.313 and the .308 barrels are meant for .308 bullets, obviously I don't want those .32 bullets to get stuck halfway down the bore.

Lucas McCain

I have seen a 32acp adapter for my nieghbors grandfathers model 1894 Winchester and it was made by Winchester and came with the gun when he bought it about 1920. It has the Winchester label on it. They used it for putting down the animals when they butchered. Also used it on his trap line. More fur friendly. Work flawlessly!
I ordered one out of a outdoor life magazine for my pre war 30 WCF rifle. First time I tried it it split the adapter. Sent it back to the place I ordered it from and they replaced it. Tried it again with same results and I gave up on it. My chamber was larger than the adapter I guess.

SIGSHR

I bought some that allowed me to fire 32ACP in 7.5MM French, 303 British, 30-40 Krag, 30/06, 7.92 Mauser, etc. Unfortunately that company is out of business. They allow one to engage in "gallery shooting" and to get the feel of a milsurp rifle when going to an outdoor range is not that easy. Rather like firing 38 WCs out of a 357 Magnum. I still recall the looks I got when I told the range officer I was firing 32 ACPs-and took my Spandau Ge98 out of the case.

ThomasT

My biggest concern would be getting a bullet stuck in the barrel. A 32acp uses 2grs or less powder and expecting that to push an oversized bullet from a .308 bore is risky IMHO. But I guess it works for some.

I do load light loads in my 30-30. I use 4-5grs of Bullseye with a .310 lead round ball. They are accurate as long as you don't get past 20 yards or so. I also cast 32 caliber lead bullets for my 32 caliber revolvers and intend to load some of these in the 30-30 case. They should be even more accurate.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I think any .32 ACP load that would reliably function an auto pistol would get the bullet out the rifle barrel with no problem.

FWIW, very light loads can be a problem in another way. The old M1903 single heat treat receivers have been known to blow with "plinking" loads of 8-10 grains of Bullseye and a round ball.

BTW, those pistol cartridge adapters have been around since the early 1900's, so those who consider them something new are just a bit (100 years or so) late.

Jim