challenge: powder for .38 special, .40, AND 9mm?

dyl

Like the title says - here's a challenge for you all (y'all) w/ some experience - is there a powder / powders that could fit the bill for 38 special (snubbies mostly) 40 S&W and 9mm?

More info: will likely be using plated bullets and Lee Pro Autodisk
I don't plan on loading very hot, this is just for range ammo.

cpaspr

Unique, Bullseye, Clays will hypothetically work in all three.

That said, I've personally loaded Unique in both 9mm and .38, Clays in .38 and .40. My dad used to load Bullseye under a 173gr LSWC .38 Special. I might have as well, but it would have been about 30 years ago if I did, and so I can't swear to it.

I generally try to save the Bullseye for the little cases like .380 but I'm not averse to loading it in 9mm. Only loaded Unique in the 9mm last time because I had more of Unique on hand than Bullseye.

Hammerhead

Universal is excellent in all three. Meters pretty well too.

I love Clays for target loads in the .38 and .44 specials, but I think it's too fast for a general purpose powder in the 9mm and .40.

Universal is just impressing the heck out of me in the .40 and 10mm for accuracy and low recoil.

HP-38/W231 would be my second choice for your three cartridges.

Hammerhead

After re-reading your OP, I think I would rate HP-38 aka W231 as my first choice since you are using a Lee disk powder measure. HP-38 is a finer, flattened spherical powder with a graphite coating, should be perfect for your Lee measure. It's the same powder as Winchester W231.

Universal meter fine in my Redding 10X, but not in my friend's disk measure.

Unique doesn't meter well in either. You might want to do a search on 'Unique metering'. Most would agree it doesn't do well. Not knocking the powder, it's probably the best 'all around' powder, just not the best through a volume measure.

Last edited:

Sevens

I would suggest Universal -- but I currently use Power Pistol in all three.

Power Pistol is not at it's best in the tame .38 Special, but it certainly does work. I use it with 158 grain bullets in .38 Special. Power Pistol is supreme in 9mm & .40 cal.

Look at Universal as the modern replacement for Unique.

dyl

Muchas gracias to every one of you. I've learned a lot from your replies. It'll be great to be able to use just one powder. That'll keep me satisfied until the bug of curiosity bites me and it itches again.

Much appreciated.

Scorch

Unique will handle anything from .32ACP to any of the 45s, possibly beyond. It is the most versatile powder I have.

scsov509

I used to be a diehard Unique guy, but now I prefer Universal in place of Unique. So I'd say Universal or Power Pistol for these calibers as well as a whole lot more, though Unique is certainly good as well. :cool:

Sevens

a little side rant -- not preaching, just spreading the word

Muchas gracias to every one of you. I've learned a lot from your replies. It'll be great to be able to use just one powder. That'll keep me satisfied until the bug of curiosity bites me and it itches again.

Much appreciated.
Duly noted -- now for some BETTER advice.

Box of factory ammo... pick a caliber... just looking for an average expenditure here... let's say, $17.50? $20?
Now... pound of powder, depending on where you buy it... $18 to $24?

If you continue to handload and build your own ammo you are going to find that find the right powder will serve you so much better than using one that "works good enough." Especially when you start to work on some true magnum loads. So many folks roll their first magnum loads with a fast burning target powder. They do it because it's what they have on hand... it's what they've always used... they were able to find some data for it...

What they end up making are crappy rounds that run an absurdly high pressure all the while returning crappy velocity at that high pressure. They leave themselves no room for error as the pressure peaks so quickly and the pressure curve looks not like a hill, but the craggy peak of a mountain.

.38, 9mm and .40 cal can safely and assuredly be loaded well with the same single powder. But I just want to throw the idea out there that if you get in to the habit of picking the RIGHT powder and not simply using something you have on hand, you'll set yourself up to make much better ammo.

You'll also have a heckuva lot more flexibility at your load bench. When you keep a large stock with a lot of options, you'll have different things to try with new bullets or entirely new calibers. And also -- you won't be using up your whole supply of XXXXX simply because you've been loading it across a half dozen calibers!

It's a good idea to be able to buy your powder in 4 or 8 pound jugs to save money... and using one powder across 3 or 4 rounds helps you to be able to do that. So I'm not saying you need to pick a different powder for each different round. Heck, I use Alliant 2400 in .30 Carb, .327 Federal, .357 Mag and .44 Mag, so it's not like I don't consolidate in some places.

But I'm just passing along the idea that if you are one of the new reloaders or cheap reloaders or novice reloaders who end up making .357 Magnum loads out of Bullseye or Titegroup because that's what you've always used... then here's your early tip to not be so cheap!

Spend the twenty bucks. Buy a new powder. Heck... buy two new powders. Open up your eyes to the benefits of keeping a powder cache and selection of options at your bench!