Chain shot

Hammer1

In my distant memory...

Recall a discussion about something called chain shot used in Civil War cannons where lead balls smaller than bore size were connected together by wire or chain. When fired, the lead balls separated some and caused the stretched wire or chain to be a deadly item. May have been just a story and not real.

Also recall some shotgun shells being made similarly, but then my memory plays tricks on me.

Does anyone remember such shotgun shells ?

Perhaps they were loaded with buckshot. If so, the shortness of the chain or wire could keep a tight pattern for quite a distance. A long chain or wire could cause other damage.

Lawyer Daggit

12 guage loads I do not know about. But you are correct, Canon shot was often loaded like this and was mainly used on ships to attack their rigging and sails.

Dfariswheel

Like most of the "gimmick" shotgun ammo sold by internet "fly by night" companies, the "chain" shot is actually LESS effective.

The wire prevents the shot from penetrating deeply.

To date, NOTHING is as effective in a shotgun as standard buckshot.
Save your money.

MortalWombat

Recall a discussion about something called chain shot used in Civil War cannons where lead balls smaller than bore size were connected together by wire or chain. When fired, the lead balls separated some and caused the stretched wire or chain to be a deadly item. May have been just a story and not real.

They were used primarily on ships, used at close range to cut through the rigging and masts of enemy ships. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain-shot

cohoskip

In the "old days" steel balls, chain and assorted and sundry other items were sometimes loaded into the cannons. It was called cannister.

In Korea we had cannister shells for the 105mm howitzers. They were loaded with steel balls - like a giant shotgun shell. Used only when being overrun by the enemy.

Scorch

In the "old days" steel balls, chain and assorted and sundry other items were sometimes loaded into the cannons. It was called cannister.
Actually, it was called carronade (comes from French for debris, junk, carrion (dead bodies)). Cannister shot is contained in a cannister, hence the name.