Chain Fire Video

Logan5579

Looks to me like he was missing a cap on the cylinder that chainfired. I'm a believer that in most cases chainfires come from the rear of the cylinder because an ill fitting cap popped off under recoil or just fell off on its own. I'm not saying it can't come from the front of the cylinder, just that I see it as far less likely than a missing cap. Cool video though, you can hear the very slight delay as the second chamber goes. Looks like he didn't damage the gun though.

deerslayer303

Yeah I saw the missing cap. I was figuring that it had blown off when that cylinder went off. But he just may have forgotten to cap that one :eek:. I don't see a chain fire happening from the front either. In my case there IS no way fire is getting past the over ball lube (beez and Tallow), the ball, the wad, then to the powder. I don't always lube over the ball, but even getting past a good fitting ball I think is very unlikely. I know we've discussed this about fifty eleven times, but still it was nice to see a video of it actually happening. And yeah it doesn't look like he even scratched the pistol. ANOTHER reason for SOFT lead balls huh?

Doc Hoy

Only chain fire I ever had....

.....was due, I believe, to a cap that I had pinched. The balls were all lubed as DS 303 said.

Was a .36 cal 1851 Pattern Sheriff brass frame. Nice shooter before the event.

The chain fire loosened the arbor. I don't shoot it any more. The serial number is 666.

No it ain't. I was just kiddin about 666.

MJN77

FWIW, I have been shooting C&B revolvers for almost twenty years, (I'm talking tens of thousands of rounds) have pinched every cap I have ever put on a gun, do not put wads under the balls and have had exactly one chain fire because I used under sized round balls.

deerslayer303

MJN, seems with all the inconsistencies in percussion caps now days, a pinch is probably always needed. I'm going to try some aftermarket nipples and see what happens.

maillemaker

I find it hard to believe that with an interference fit ball that shaves lead that you are going to get fire through the front of the cylinder openings.

But I am equally amazed that there is enough fire coming out the cone to make its way through all the convolutions to get down the cone of a neighboring cylinder!

I wonder if it is possible if the shock of recoil can set off a percussion cap?

Steve

Hawg

I find it hard to believe that with an interference fit ball that shaves lead that you are going to get fire through the front of the cylinder openings.

It can happen.

g.willikers

I've had a couple, but there's never been any damage.
Just a big surprise.
Probably caused by a primer coming off, during recoil.
A tight fitting bullet seems to prevent a chain fire from the front.
Dry auto gasket paper wads under the bullet, for insurance, seems to do the job.