CFE-223 dirty?

FrankenMauser

I'm running (or testing) CFE-223 in 6x45mm with bullets ranging from 55 gr to 90 gr.

So far, I am very much unimpressed. The powder seems consistent enough and there's not a sign of copper fouling during use or cleaning*, but it is DIRTY.

Before putting any of those loads together, I knew that CFE-223 was likely a little slow for the job - even with the heavier bullets. But I really didn't expect it to be this filthy. Everything is covered in grimy soot.

Is the filth typical of the powder, or is it just a byproduct of my (mis)use?

*(So far, that rifle has only seen CFE-223 since new. That's the only powder that has been though the barrel, since shot number one.)

FrankenMauser

I agree that it's not really the right powder for the job.
But, I was hoping for a little more feedback on general dirtiness. I know quite a few members have tried CFE-223 in at least .223 Rem / 5.56x45mm.

skizzums

i have run a couple pounds through an AR, no special notice of "dirtyness". i did find it more accurate with heavier bullets, so maybe it likes higher pressures like he said. many people really love CFE-223 in 308 for some reason

Jim243

I have used it for 223/5.56 and find it no more dirty than H-335. I run it at almost max charge for both CFE-223 or H-335 and find cleaning about the same but without all the copper.

Stay safe and well.
Jim

Rimfire5

For a 1:8 twist Les Baer with 69 thru 77 grain bullets, I find it cleaner than Reloader 15 and Varget, but not much different than VV N140.

I find no significant coppering with the Les Baer barrel.

Wyoredman

You may need to try "magnum" type primers. They ignite CFE-223 a lot better. You get a more consistent burn and velocities improve some as well. I do think that CFE-223 performs as advertised. It does get the copper out. For that I love it.

Mike38

CFE223 does make the bore look "different" (for lack of a better word) than other powders. To me, it makes the bore look darker. But it's very easy to clean. I don't know what's in the stuff, but it does what's claimed.

FrankenMauser

You may need to try "magnum" type primers. They ignite CFE-223 a lot better. You get a more consistent burn and velocities improve some as well. I do think that CFE-223 performs as advertised. It does get the copper out. For that I love it.
I'm running CCI #41 primers, so they should be up to the task.
I'll probably be moving on to a different powder, anyway, but the CCI #41 should be sufficient for the CFE223 load(s).

CFE223 does make the bore look "different" (for lack of a better word) than other powders. To me, it makes the bore look darker. But it's very easy to clean. I don't know what's in the stuff, but it does what's claimed.
The primary "decoppering" agent is reported to be Bismuth, which is a dark grey color when in powder form. I'm sure it has some influence on what we're seeing.