Cezch Mauser VZ24. Anyone got one?

Jason Demond

Czech Mauser VZ24. Anyone got one?

I just ordered on from Century Arms, I got the one in VG shape. Did andyone get one from them and if so what kind of shape was it in? BTW this is my first time ordering on my C&R.

Last edited:

stinger

Mine is not from Century directly, but I got it from Big 5 Sporting Goods. I think that they get theirs from Century, but I am not certain.

The rifle is a beautiful shooter, although not great to look at, the blueing is mostly gone. It was full of cosmoline (grease) and was a bear to clean. The bore took about a million hours worth of work to make it shine, but the results are well worth the work.

I am able to get 2" groups at 100 yards and I know that the rifle is capable of so much better than that. I just wish that I was :)

I think you will enjoy your new purchase. Ammo is dirt cheap, although not incredibly accurate. I believe it was designed for 198 gr bullets and most of the milsurp is around 150 or so. S&B makes some pretty good 8X57JS that shoots rather well in my rifle.

Enjoy,

Stinger

Foxy

I have a VZ24. I bought it from a friend who had bought it from J&G. I enjoy shooting it greatly - ammunition is dirt cheap, and it's fun (if a bit painful after a while) to blast away with it.

It's been at least three years since my friend bought this thing, and it still oozes cosmoline from the stock after it's been out in the sun long enough, though. That's my only complaint with it.

Badger Arms

I take a rag to the range and just wipe the oil off the stock when it gets warm.... Let me tell you, IT GETS WARM! :D

I'll have to say, there is no way you can go wrong with one of these. Even a 'shot-out' bore will still have a solid receiver that is worth more than the asking price if you ask me. A rebarrel and new sporter stock will give you a gun for less than a Savage that outstrips anything on the market today in workmanship, hands down. If I had more room in the safe, I'd buy 10 more of them.

Were I still a CZ-24 virgin, I'd buy one and about 10 of them 70 round bandoleers. Go to the range with a rag and a few extra targets. Burn up the ammo. You'll have to watch "Old Yeller" to get the smile off your face.

PLEASE stop by this web site and enter data from your CZ Rifles.

Jason Demond

Thank you for the replys!
I paid Century 89.87 for the VZ24 in VG condition. I can't wait to try it out! I see that Aim Surplus has 1970's belt of 250 rounds of 8mm on sale for 24.95. Anyone know if that is corrosive? Aim also has the non-belted 8mm in a 900 round tin for 65.00. It's all Yugoslavian.

Jason Demond

I got it today. The gun is about 85% and is all original, I am very pleased with Century Arms. Odd thing is that there is no Military Crest or date on it. There are no marks on the gun that would make me think anything has been removed. The serial number is AR prefix 189XX. Anyone know what I have, or the year it was made?

jdege

I have one - inherited it from my grandfather.

His brother brought it back from WWII. Matching serial numbers, no import marks, etc.

When I got it, it was clean, no rust, 98% finish. Only problem was the leather sling had dry-rotted.

I've taken it out a couple of times, just 'cause.

Works fine.

Took a nephew out to the range with it, for his first time, a couple of years ago, and he seems to have picked up the bug.

sleeping dog

The only thing I don't like about my VZ24 is the side-mounted rear sling swivel. If the swivel is swung rearwards, the recoil tends to push it into my face. And then I wonder what moron designed this thing.

On the other hand, it could be the shooter's fault. :)

It's fairly accurate, and the Turk ammo is dirt cheap.

Regards.

Jason Demond

I have since learned what I have. Mine was a contract rifle made in 1939 and sent to Romania. It originally bore the royal crest of King Carol and was removed later, probably after WW II by the Communists who deposed the King. Whoever removed the crest did such a good job I couldn't even tell.

Hen

:D The code (ar) means your rifle was made by Mauser-Werke AG,Berlin.Most military and some commercial ammo is highly corrosive.I treat all military ammo as corrosive.Flush your barrel out with soap and water or i use windex at the range while its still hot then do the regular cleaning thing at home.
The sling swivel on the wrist of the rifle has bit me also a time or 10.I try to make sure the swivel is flipped forward before i shoot.Enjoy your rifle and shoot well,Hen

Chief Jones

I've got one that I picked out just for the receiver--it now has a 270 Wilson Barrel, Timney trigger & B&C synthetic stock. Drops every whitetail it's shot at in it's tracks...