CETME, worth it?

Young.Gun.612

So I've decided to sell off a bunch of stuff I don't need/use that are just collecting dust in order to fund a rifle purchase. Been looking at cetmes in the 600-800 range. Are they worth the nearly 1000 dollar price tag? or would I be better off getting a wasr 10th and pocketing the rest?

tulsamal

I have a nice one with the wood stock. And it has worked every time I've pulled the trigger. But no way is it worth 1k. $700 or so seems fair.

Gregg

Young.Gun.612

I said 600-800, 800 being as I said "nearly a grand". Been looking on gunbroker. Just recently got the wild hair going, so I'll be looking locally probably this weekend.

meatgrinder42

Cetmes are picky about magazines, don't expect to just grab any magazine and it will run.G3 Mags fit but need a little modification to work right. Other than that the later ones are supposed to be excellent. CAI used some real monkey work in the past on the older ones and people were having issues with their bolt gaps opening up by .05-.08 after a few hundred rounds.

mo84

I bought a CETME from Dunhams and ended up getting my money back after about 3 months. The very first shot with factory ammo jamed to the point I could not unjam it no matter how hard I tried. They sent it back and a month later I go to the range and the very first round of another name brand bullet jamed just as bad, they send it in again and a month or so later I get it, fill a bucket with sand, put it in the closet and bam, first round jamed again. I had to contact the district manager and he wanted me to send it in again. I explained how two times was enough for a $750 gun to not work. they returned my money without much hesitation. the 3 times I did shoot it were pretty cool, maybe test fire it before buying it if you can. the CETME Dunhams was selling was from Century Arms. If I could find one that works well, I would get one again because I really like the look.

Attachments

• CETME.jpg
    CETME.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 51

viciouskitty

All of the century cetmes can have issues. Mostly with ground down bolts and out of spec bolt gaps. I got one for 800 i got suckered, but it was also during the Obama gun buying craze when prices went nuts. I have replaced a few parts over the 3 or so years i had it, mostly maintenance. My gun had an out of spec bolt gap, all i did was replace some rollers and the bolt head. It is in spec now mine is the older model with wood stock, the sights are not canted and it functions with any mags including the G3 magazines. I have over 50 of them!! In the beginning i had a few misfeeds with steel cased ammo but it turned out that once i cleaned all the gunk of the flutes the gun ran great! And it hasn't jammed since its been over 2 years.
The gun is not benchrest accurate about 3-4 moa with cheap ammo and iron sights at 100 yards keep in mind I'm not the greatest bench shooter. But i can pop steel silhouettes with ease out to 200 yards. I have yet to try to reach out farther i will soon. A good price would be around 600 bucks now since thats what seems to be the going price now a days.

Young.Gun.612

Yikes!

I really like the look of it too, aside from the AK its about the only battle rifle I think looks good with wood furniture. And shooting .308 doesn't sound too bad. I know it doesnt have the aftermarket support that the AR platform does, but I want something in .308 that's not an AR. And being on a budget sucks.

Last edited:

viciouskitty

If you get one for around 600 i would say go for it. The magazines are 99 cents on cheaper than dirt!! Later on you could add optics and replacement parts are readily available and you can stock up on em as you get more money. The gun was designed to be easily maintainable and mostly anyone who is at least slightly mechanically inclined can work on em. I can work on mine and believe me I'm not that good at working on stuff.

Gehrhard

Old, front-heavy, gun. Cool, but... Save the money. An AK? Try higher quality than you've been considering instead if u really need another.

Young.Gun.612

So basically what I'm hearing is it could be prone to issues. Take it to a Smith before shooting have them give it a good once over to make sure everythings in good working order?

What parts are most prone to needing replaced?

az_imuth

Not long after these first hit the market, there was a period when they were made with cast stainless steel receivers and new parts kits with wood stocks. This is what I received when I ordered mine and I've had zero problems with it. When all the talk about ground bolts came about I became worried and checked mine out. The bolt gap was perfect and nothing had been ground. If you want a CETME there are some goods ones out there to be had. Just be careful because the stories you hear about all of the crappy ones are very likely true.

The only negatives to owning a well-built CETME are that they eat ammo like candy, and the ones with muzzle brakes are extremely LOUD.

5.56RifleGuy

I bought one from a guy used for $350. I really like mine. The controls on it are a little difficult to reach but apparently there is a way to legally put the paddle mag release back in legally. That is supposed to help a lot. You can get a lot of different parts to change the feel of the rifle. When I can I will be buying a wide angle grip for mine. The rifle has barely any felt recoil. That is pretty neat for a 308.

I think if you get one, you will be happy with it.

meatgrinder42

Not long after these first hit the market, there was a period when they were made with cast stainless steel receivers and new parts kits with wood stocks.

I had heard that they were going back to the cast SS receivers, don't know if they did though. They do look better with the wood furniture though, hands down.

They aren't bad rifles by any means, you just gotta be careful about buying one. I would highly advise a new one because then you have warranty behind it just as a fall back.

Young.Gun.612

Haven't actually gone into the store to look at it, but according to their website a LGS in the area has a used PTR 91 for $750. Assuming its in good condition, are these that much better to spend on one used what I would pay for a NIB CETME?

meatgrinder42

You'll have better luck with the 91. They are known for quality. Just be careful, some gun shops like to label CETMES as a 91 since they're a clone. If it says Century be leary. 750 is awful cheap for a 91...