cetme vs FAL!

furyfour

yea more rifle questions from me.

A local shop has a Cetme for about $530...
I know they are made with spanish parts, is there much quality difference between that and the FAL which seem to go for around $700-800 locally.

Cheers and thanks again!

Evin

Bogie

I personally don't think there's a lot of difference for most folks! As long as you make sure that everything is reliable, you should be okay for most shooting! Biggest thing to watch out for are magazines!

rogertc1

I have both.
The CETME because they are from Century arms may require some tweeking. Maybe a lot. Do a search and read up on them. Newer ones were made with used parts and the earier ones were made with brand new parts kits. Cost back them was $450
Got my CETME in 2000.
The FAL/L1A1they function best and there are many more metric parts out there. Remember that a FAL is metric and L1A1 is english. An english can take either metric or english mags and a metric can only take metric mags.
I just got my L1A1 this year that is a old Century sportster or a FrankenFAL. I lucked out as mine is all english parts and not a mix like some were / are. Easier to work on than the CETME. It cost me $500 and came with lots of extra mags and even origional stock / grip.
All in all they are fine battle rifles.
Good luck

ROG

Destructo6

I'd base my choice on build quality.

I saw some CETMEs at the last Tucson gunshow that were put together very poorly. Specifically, the area where the receiver side channels meet the trunion up front were not welded closed. Instead, they welded at the front of the trunion/receiver. It was ugly.

I think it's easier to build a FAL right, which is not to say it can't be done wrong.

kristop64089

I just purchased a fine example of a Cetme...this is an exception to the rule.

Before you buy any Cetme you need to be able to break the gun down and check for the following(take tools)
- the charging handle needs play in it when in pright position(1/8" or so)
- The Buttstock should come off fairly easy.
- the bolt gap should be .05"-.20"
- the bolt head dimenision should be 1.835"(front to back)
If this stuff checks out, you may be good to go.

Mine is perfect, but I will be selling(can't find any 7.62 NATO) I prefer the look of the FAL's, and at the end of the day, they are a better built gun. YMMV

How much you want for your's (and would you be willing to make a FFL transfer, in about a month?) I might be interested

Supposedly Cetme have better triggers than commercial HK-91's. I've heard a number of Century Cetmes had misaligned sights.
In General, Cetme/G3's are the more durable and reliable rifle. I would rather have one than a Century FAL/L1 especially at that price difference (forget some cobble job 800. FAL, save a little more and get a DSA some say better than FN's, and I'd take over the HK91 or PTR-91). FAL's have an adjustable gas system. Some Cetmes or G3's had a weaver mount integral upper. Both of these were wholesaling approx 300. in 2004 or 05. At least mags are still cheap. a hundered bucks would probably get you a 4 foot tall stack of either.

You getting the one with wood furnature? I like the looks of it. Jump on it, I would. If everything is together right, it will go on forever like an AK.

kristop64089

Unfortunately It is spoken for, I got a premium out of it(Think upwards of $700).

I have my AK,AR,SKS, so this wouldn't see the range time it deserved. And 20 round mags, with ammo at .50 a pop....adds up quick, too quick. So I opted to sell.

I really lucked out with mine, and i love their looks. I wish things would promote it's stay, but I have enough "safe queens". Really cool guns tho.

100_0800.jpg

100_0799.jpg

Anthony712

I have a cetme sport made overseas and it seems to have no problem. They can also use the HK G3 Magazines if you are using a clone I use HK magazines for they are cheaper. Correct me if I am wrong but I heard that ones made in Europe and one made in US are significantly different in quality. I heard that the European ones...especailly those made in Germany are far superior to US made ones. I heard the expression that ones made in the US are made by "monkeys". I may be wrong about that but it just what I hear. Otherwise, the one I have works just fine with almost no problems and I have heard of them to be very reliable. For more information visit http://www.cruffler.com/review-july-00.html .

rogertc1

USA CETME's are parts guns reassembled by the Century Arms monkeys with a US recieve that apry in quality. If you must go with a CETME find an older one one with great wood and the stainless reveiver, fatter than the stamped ones.

good luck.

ziggy222

i bought my century cetme at dunhams sporting goods 4yrs ago.it works flawlessly.the open v type site is'nt very good but the peep sight is right on the money.it only jams with junk spanish ammo.its amazing how bad it mangles the casings after firing.it shreds the brass.its more accurate than i can shoot with open sites.i'm shopping for a mount that can handle the shock of the 308 without moving.