CETME rifles

zot

these are HK contract rifles out of S.O.G. , wood forearm and wood stock. are the rifles built on Hesse receivers? are these
well made guns that shoot reliably? the prices are down, allways
wanted a G3 type rifle.any info would be appreciated, thanks:)

Smiley

The CETME is made from old CETME rilfe parts on an american receiver. Run away from Hesse as fast as you can. Century is a decent recevier. CETMEs are great guns for the price.

Things to watch out for are misalinged sights that are canted over to the left too much. Bascially the factory or a smith has to fix this.

Mags are super cheap. Recoil is so little for a .308. It is a heavy rifle. surplus ammo is cheap. good accuracy. all CETMEs will have nicks and scratches though.

A friend of mine has one and I have been doing a lot of research on them cause I want one too. they defenitly need to be broken in and well lubed. You will also probably need some elbow grease to take it apart the first few times.

A good rifle that has some faults. Not the prettiest or precisly fitted, but a good rifle non the less i think.

zot

I wonder if these are hesse receiver's, the retail is $ 369. I'll call
and ask what receiver it is, I've had some soft AK receivers that where POS's,also L1A1's are down below $400, AK's under $300
that are pistol grip, look pre-ban, I'll post tuesday what receiver the CETME's are, thanks for your post ,I've the same reasons
for liking the CETME's, they can be as accurate as the high priced HK's, lets share info on this rifle on board, thanks ,later:)

Destructo6

Other things you have to watch out for is a poorly converted gripframe and a canted front sight.

Telltale on the gripframe is one that move vertically or fore/aft more than a hair. The problem is that if it drops too low, the ejector (part of the trigger pack) will not hit the cartridge case and you'll experience many, and sometimes sporadic, failures. Normally, the ejector completely fills the ejector grove in the bolthead.

With the sights, you're on your own.

Rome

I LOVE my CETME

BTW, it's pronouced "set-mae" from what I've been told.

I read everything I could about these rifles before I bought one. I got the Century SS receiver, btw, and NOT the Hesse receiver.

If you'd like to know what I thought of the CETME at the range this past weekend, here's a range report I filed at another forum:

Gawd Almighty.....what a wonderful rifle! And here I was vacillating back and forth about buying one or not! Sometimes I'm surprised to see just how dumb I can be. Let me put things into perfect perspective:

If you love to shoot, you'll love the CETME, period!

It is, without a doubt, the easiest handling, more powerful rifle I've fired that has no recoil! I'm not talking 'bout those .223 round pea shooters here. I'm talking about NATO .308, big caliber shooters. This thing spits the rounds out as fast as you can pull the trigger. And I mean we tried to jamb it up but simply could not. Three of us all loaded separate 20 round mags and tried to out fire the previous guy. There were literally four or five casings in the air at one time! But, this rifle just went on firing as if it did it all day long. Even after 60 rounds, it was easy to handle although you could feel the heat starting to build in the forearm. The town dump is a mile away and one of the club members stopped by on the way home looking for the "machine gun" at the range. We sat there with these big grins on our faces. Simply awesome fire power here in the CETME!!! We didn't start this way, however. We are responsible, ya know.

When I got to the range, I took my time as I usually do, and loaded two rounds and lit up "El Chopo" for the first time. I ended up with a big grin on my face! I could tell that it was just a great piece of machinery.

Now, whenever I get a new milsurp, the first thing I do is one or two rounds at first, just to make sure all the pieces stay on the rifle and nothing is falling off. It also protects me from slamfires. So after two rounds, I inserted five and once again fired them off. I also don't try to hit anything, just make sure the mechanics work. Well, for the heck of it we set up a bowling pin at 50 yards. I took a bead with the next five rounds and hit it twice on the first two shots of five. I missed the next two and hit it again on the fifth. Excellent. Obviously the sites aren't off at all except for a little elevation experimentation. I'm also getting used to those "paddle" sites. I have no idea how to arrange those things so I started at "1" figuring that was good for 100 yards. Once I realized the mechanics were ok, I decided that I'd site it in the next time I take it out to the range. Today would be just to get the first 100 rounds through the barrel and exercise the action and get things heated up.

Seeing all the brass glinting in the sun was enough to make a grown man cry! After all of the old battle rifles I've fired with the thousands of rounds, this rifle raised the bar by a lot.

I bought the CETME as a "period" at the end of my semi-auto battle rifle collection. It represents one foot in the old, with a big caliber and wood furniture, and one foot in the future with select fire (originally of course, not now) and a pistol grip. Future "assault rifles" with select fire will tone down the caliber and eliminate the wood altogether. So, the CETME represents the old and the new all at once. The Semi-Auto era only lasted 25 or so years, ya know. It was a very short time with lots of experiments in gas and mechanical mechanisms. The CETME took that leap forward.

If you can afford one, buy one. IF you can't afford one, save up for one. It is really the quintessential semi-auto rifle even though it's been neutered from full auto. Technically there wasn't one single FTF, jamb, or any type of failure at all. It was perfect in every way, including hitting the target. I was using Portuguese ammo which was clean as a whistle, and three different shooters tried their darndest to slow this rifle down. Forget it. Ammoman.com, here I come!

Feel free to ask me any questions via email or here. I'd love to answer them.

Here's a picture of my buddy going through his 20:

Dave%20and%20cetme%20small.jpg