CETME C308

PlatinumCore16

So a while back, I had looked into getting into a semi auto 308. Didn't have a great reason at the time, still don't. But I found a real nice one on Armslist and figured I'd go after it. To make the accountant happy, I decided on selling a few firearms that I currently had but weren't all that happy with. A 770 in 30-06 and a 12ga. single shot that I never used. The 770 I had put a few rounds through but I knew that it was (more or less)useless to me without a better scope so decided to ditch it instead of spend more money on it.

Long story short, the one on Armslist dissappeared in record time and I missed it, but found one locally instead. I'll have it this weekend and I'm excited to clean it out and get out to the range with it.

smee78

Congrats on your new addition. I had one years ago and sold it off for some reason. Do you know who made yours? I had put OD green hand guards and stock on it and it shot well. A few years ago I replaced its position with a Springfield SAR-3.

PlatinumCore16

@smee78 it's a Century Arms, so PTR made the receiver, and all the rest of the parts are surplus. I like the look of the Alpine green, so next year sometime, I'll probably do that and an MLOK or other style tactical fore arm so I can put a foregrip on it. Century welded rails on the top of the receivers, so I'm gonna grab an inexpensive scope for it.

joeb

Clean it religiously and check the bolt gap, etc. They're fine rifles when they're in spec. and properly maintained.
I've built three 'C's and love them.

smee78

One of the reasons I ask who made it was because I recall on some of the guns Century made they had ground down the bolt face to get it to lock up properly due to it not being assembled/welded correctly. May want to give it a quick look and be sure to keep an eye on the rollers, if shot enough they can wear out.

joeb

If the bolt is ground it needs to be tossed and another installed. MFA has all the info on specs. 1.835" pops into my mind for some reason...been some years since I went thru this. An out of spec cetme can become a labor of love, but worth it in the end.
A ground head gives a false gap reading and can lead to more serious issues. Safety first as always.

armoredman

I had a Century CETME years ago, horrible pile of junk. I have heard there were some good ones, but mine had all the issues including the ground bolt, and when I tried to send it back very shortly after I bought it, Century told me the warranty had expired while it was sitting on the distributor's shelf. Won't do that again.

PlatinumCore16

Yup, I've read many a similar story. I'm actually trading up the one I bought for one in flat dark earth. Partly because of the color, partly because the gentleman selling it has a bunch of other stuff for it, mags, cheek riser, fore grip. So I'll be sure to look into all of the specs on this next one as well. When I took it out shooting it is wayyy too much fun lol. One thing that I didn't remember reading about was that it threw the empty cases over 30ft away. But holy cow: easy recoil, and a real want to just keep slamming that trigger. The trigger is super gritty and unpredictable though, which I vaguely remember reading about.

PlatinumCore16

PTR made the barrel as well – CAI finally made a decent rifle by not making the rifle.
I apologize I never responded to this, than you for the correction. After reading all the old CETME stories from the first round CAI attempted to build them, I would have to agree with you.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

PlatinumCore16

Also wanted to give an update: the original C308 I wanted disappeared from the internet, but it reappeared and I made sure I got ahold of the owner ASAP. So I'm going to sell the one I bought and get this one instead:
0c466a035ee1dcb81015db367811892a.jpg

dean1818

Those are so heavy.

from reviews, I had a love affair a few years ago with the PTR91..... picked up one at the gun show....... put it back down. At 55, I can still heft around a heavier rifle, but dont really want to

The reloading bit with beatup brass, also was a turnoff for me

hodaka

I've reloaded plenty of HK and PTR brass but they are usually hard to find as they are usually thrown into the next county. My C308 is less vigorous for some reason.

PlatinumCore16

I've reloaded plenty of HK and PTR brass but they are usually hard to find as they are usually thrown into the next county. My C308 is less vigorous for some reason.
Haha this was fun to find out my first trip to the range. Couldn't find the brass, so I asked the range officer if he saw where it went: "Go down 6 tables or so and thats where most of it went." Made me chuckle

Model12Win

The best part of the G3 platform rifles is purposely launching brass at the old cantankerous white pharts several lanes over scoping in their deer rifles!! :D