Cerakote color pattern suggestions for rifle stock

USAF Ret

I am taking one of my rifles to get a cerakote job done at the local custom shop. Single color cerakote - rifle, stock, scope, etc. is $275. Any patterns over 1 color starts running pretty costly. I think he said three colors on the stock, like a camo pattern, doubles the price. With another build going, just can't afford that.

They have a titanium color I am doing the action and scope. It is like a darker SS color. Kind of stuck on the stock color. I am thinking a dark green. Any suggestions or folks that have pics is appreciated to get some ideas.

taylorce1

What rifle, and what's the material of the stock? I'll use Cerakote on the metal of a barreled action, but unless it's a aluminum or magnesium chassis I probably wouldn't use it on the stock.

For factory synthetic stocks, good old Krylon is cheap and easy to apply. It also holds up pretty well, and its easy to repair when damaged. I've even hydrodipped a stock, it's okay but the stock turned out way more green than the prairie sagebrush pattern should have been.

Nmir8Ar.jpg

gwpercle

Down here on the Bayou ... Scotch Camo Duct Tape (910-CMO-C) which is Duck Blind Swamp Green Camouflage ... works well . A 10 yard roll will do two pumps and a single shot for $20.00 . If you don't like it ... it's easy to remove .
You want the Scotch Brand ... it's better than that Donald Duck brand tape ... holds up much longer .

Duct Tape and WD40 ... you can fix anything with this stuff!
Gary

USAF Ret

Thanks all. They are doing to complete rifle, stock, scope, barrel and action. talked to the guy doing it and he started throwing out some good ideas and wants to do the sponge technique with three colors, but only charging for two. I told him besides wanting OD green as a base on one and SIG bronze on the other, have at it.

USAF Ret

What rifle, and what's the material of the stock? I'll use Cerakote on the metal of a barreled action, but unless it's a aluminum or magnesium chassis I probably wouldn't use it on the stock.

For factory synthetic stocks, good old Krylon is cheap and easy to apply. It also holds up pretty well, and its easy to repair when damaged. I've even hydrodipped a stock, it's okay but the stock turned out way more green than the prairie sagebrush pattern should have been.

Nmir8Ar.jpg
Brother, that looks good. I like the colors. They look natural to me, on the stock.

USAF Ret

Back from the shop. Turned our pretty darn good. Top rifle is a Ruger American Predator 6.5 CM in a Magpul Hunter stock (most accurate rifle I own). Bottom rifle is a CVA Cascade in 7mm-08.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Cerakote 1.jpg
    Cerakote 1.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 84
  • Cerakote 2.jpg
    Cerakote 2.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 83
  • Cerakote 3.jpg
    Cerakote 3.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 81

Nathan

I don’t know your relationship ship with that shop, but $275 and $550 seem pretty pricey for that work. For $550, you are pretty close to a new stock in color pattern of your choice.

I think I’ve seen $150 for single color, but forget where..

USAF Ret

I don’t know your relationship ship with that shop, but $275 and $550 seem pretty pricey for that work. For $550, you are pretty close to a new stock in color pattern of your choice.

I think I’ve seen $150 for single color, but forget where..
It was $275 each with four colors.

44 AMP

Staff
What color is your wallet??? Mine is black, with very little green on the inside, and tis important to me to keep as much green on the inside as I can.

To ME, there is no paint job you can put on a rifle that is worth $275 PER COLOR...:eek:

My biggest personal issue with really well done camo is that while it not only hides things from others, it also, potentially hides them from me!. :D

Which is why I won't have a camo wallet. Guns are bigger, and rarely get so far away that you cannot recognize and find your own, BUT...:rolleyes:

taylorce1

$275 per rifle is real reasonable, considering scopes and mounts were done as well. Like any good paint job, prep work is the most labor intensive part. The guy I uses is $150 for a single color of a barreled action.

Cerakote is a great way to personalize a firearm. I like the 7-08 rifles camo job the best. However, your shop did a great job on both.

USAF Ret

$275 per rifle is real reasonable, considering scopes and mounts were done as well. Like any good paint job, prep work is the most labor intensive part. The guy I uses is $150 for a single color of a barreled action.

Cerakote is a great way to personalize a firearm. I like the 7-08 rifles camo job the best. However, your shop did a great job on both.
And his friend saves him from the crowd! Just as they were about to burn him on a cerakote stake.

I thought it was a good deal. Plus, they polished both of my bolts while they had them broken down.

You know, I was liking the 6.5 better, but I am with you. The brush job looks almost like a tiger stripe pattern.

USAF Ret

What color is your wallet??? Mine is black, with very little green on the inside, and tis important to me to keep as much green on the inside as I can.

To ME, there is no paint job you can put on a rifle that is worth $275 PER COLOR...:eek:

My biggest personal issue with really well done camo is that while it not only hides things from others, it also, potentially hides them from me!. :D

Which is why I won't have a camo wallet. Guns are bigger, and rarely get so far away that you cannot recognize and find your own, BUT...:rolleyes:
Yeah, not $275 per color. Four colors each. Each rifle cost $275 to cerakote the stock, action and scope in four colors. Plus, all original handwork with the sponge and brushing.

May not be worth that to other folks, but I am satisfied.

603Country

Don’t put the rifle down in tall grass and walk away. I quit buying green ATVs and switched to red so I could find the darn thing.