Century Arms Galil

kittyhawk

Hi Everyone, I am looking for some info on the Century Arms Galil's that they are building.
Has anyone had any dealings with this rifle?
I am thinking of getting one and was wondering what your thoughts are on them. Are they a decent shooter? Any problems with the rear sights being on the Dust cover, shift in POA? what is the overall quailty, And what is a good Price.

Thanks

Dave

mellow_c

I've always wanted one of those, but I dont know enough about them to give you any real advice. But I do know that Classic Arms has them for sale at the best price I've seen, especially since they include two 35 round mags with your purchase. http://classicarms.us/ I've ordered two Yugo AK-47's from them. And I actually havent shot either of them yet (hurried up and bought them because AK prices are getting so high) But after my initial inspections and thorough cleanings, I'm very happy that I went though Classic Arms. Also their prices beat everyone elses. Good luck, and if you get one. Let me know how you like it!

Last edited:

10-96

I don't know much about Galils, but I do know that there is quite a bit of negative chatter about several Century Arms (CAI) built weapons out there in forum land. Especially the CETME's and like weapons- seems they made great wall-hangers until they recieved much gunsmithing and re-engineering. Personally, after reading so much negativity- It would take a lot of salesmanship and a whole hand full of written guarantees before I'd buy a slingshot from CAI. I'm sure they're great folks, but history hasn't been kind to them and I've yet to see where they've tried to refute any of those disparaging reports.

If you have build experience (although i have to assume a Galil is significantly more difficult and complex than ordinary AK, and not sure on the avail of 80% lowers but it's more than using a metal bender for a Galil), you can still get .223 AR and ARM kits, have seen SAR and Micro parts too. ORF mfg's lowers and has complete guns as well. Prices as of the last SGN I bought have these low as $750. dealer for the CIA's. Which is a crapshoot considering Century's usual QC, but a hell of a lot cheaper than a genuine Galil. I would take a chance and get one for 800 or so. It is in a sense a user friendly, modern AK, ruggedness and reliability meets function. The perfect carbine. However, folded it comes out to 29.5", so I'd have to reg. it as a handgun here over 1/2", and am not willing to own it therefore. Not worth looking into getting a special longer flash or something either.
But they are sure one cool little rifle.

golani.jpg
[/IMG]

JKHolman

OP,
what you are looking to buy from Century Arms is a Golani Sporter. It is an affordable facsimile of a Galil. I bought one from CA last Fall. It was parkerized and came with two steel 35-round magazines that were also parkerized. Both magazines are in very good condition (at the time of my purchase, Century Arms was advertising one magazine in very good condition, the second in used condition). The rifle is heavy for a .223 platform, but is a good shooter. Wooden handguards were on Gunbroker for 100+ dollars, but I got lucky and found one for less than seventy (to include shipping). It gives the rifle that IDF look I wanted. I bought a scope mount that attaches to the left side of the receiver, but that proved a faulty device (it was made of aluminium). Hucksters are selling these on the 'net - do not buy them. I was able to get a refund on mine. My Golani arrived with a slight looseness at the folding stock in both the open and closed positions. Instead of sending it back to the company, I kept it, thinking it would get no worse. It did. Passing the non-firing parts to a work associate who was versed in metal work, he did what he could. From there, a machinist gave it a look, confident she could tackle the problem. Unfortunately, time was at a premium for her, and my missing the rifle put it back in my collection. I shimmed it with homemade shims from a Coors can and it is stable and tight, allowing it to fire well. The metal worker said he would give it a good weld (I had considered buying a wooden buttstock on Gunbrokers, but declined in that I will go with a fixed metal stock - I already have two folding .223 rifles: AR-180 Sterling & AR-100 Daewoo) if I wanted it permanent. I found that the Golanis at the gun shows are decent, with only a couple having a game folding stock [like mine]. If you are seriously looking into getting a "Galil", my advice is to shop at the gun shows and find one with a decent folding stock; it will be worth the extra money. Be picky on this account. OP, I do like my Golani alot and when I am not firing my other pieces, I do enjoy firing this one. Good luck in your shopping.

- JKHolman

D Day Dog

I've got one of these Galoni Sporter rifles myself. Mine was originally purchased 8/07. Shortly thereafter, there was a recall on them for certain batch numbers due to a problem with ammo not cycling correctly which CAI stated was related to the firing pin and firing pin spring. Rare, but the understanding was that some of them may have had a tendency to slam fire. Heard this as well from other Galoni owners who discussed mainly ammo cycling with stove pipe stoppages which they felt my be related to the clips. I took mine back to my dealer who exchanged it for one that had already been "repaired" by CAI. If you're going to buy one, look on the lower part of the receiver, you should see an "F" or an "X" denoting that the firing pin and firing pin spring have been fixed. This apparently is not a concern with serial Nos. 3000 and up per the other forums I've seen on this weapon. I actually have yet to fire mine (unbelievable) since I exchanged it for the fixed one this winter. I plan on doing so this weekend. Cheap Galil basically. Nice firearm. Quite heavy which may help with accuracy. Mine's a very tight fit for the stock, clip and receiver cover. Take a look inside before you buy as well. There was some minor pitting in the one I first purchased. If anyone else here has had similar or other probs. with these, please let me know. Thanks.