Century AK "New Models" Need Advice

SCDeac82

Hello Guys:

Visited a LGS yesterday...have been torn between a Mini-30 and an AK.

The clerk showed me what he described as the "new" Century AK 47. It did look nicer than others I have seen, with a smooth blonde stock. He said accuracy and reliability were excellent.

They had a price of $699 on it. This would be my first MSR, and honestly, I won't be putting a million rounds through it.

He also suggested a red-dot optic, which he said could be mounted forward on an after-market quad rail. Primary use will be HD and recreational.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

SCD

DPris

Member Emeritus
Try it if you think you'd like it.

The AK world is very fluid, sellers/importers/distributors come & go, foreign parts are drying up.
More US-made parts & guns are entering the market.

Look for reviews online, if no negatives then it's probably worth the risk.
Denis

5thShock

Research the rifle by model name and number. The issue iron sights work well, if you zero it in properly the range adjustment is fast and almost foolproof. Good Luck and come back and tell us how you made out.

Nacho Man

rather just go with a wasr imo. inspect fs post alignment and gas block, magwell fitment with steel mag, and make sure all rivets are flush. put a alg trigger in it and done lol.

dakota.potts

If I were getting a rifle with home defense in mind, I would look for a small caliber (5.45/5.56) with varmint tips to minimize over penetration, but I also have a 7.62X39 that I use for home defense so I'm not one to talk about that.

I haven't had a chance to fire one of the Century AKs, but I hear pretty good things about them for recreational use.

What part of SC are you in? I have another rifle you may be interested in firing prior to purchase if you're close enough to Greenwood to give it a test run

TBM900

Your best bargin AK platform at the moment are the "QC'd" WASR's
They are currently on import hold due to Mfgs supplying conflict areas, but if you dig around you should be able to find one around $500, I was on a road trip this weekend and found one in a small LGS for $450. The milled Century's are nice but in no way worth a $200 premium. At the $699 you mention I would just assume move up to a DAKM-4150.

Ruger upped their game on the newer Mini-30 Tacticals..... if you only ever plan to shoot domestic. They dropped the ball AGAIN and still haven't corrected the surplus ammo reliability issue, its an easy fix but they refuse to do it for some reason.

Last edited:

doofus47

I have a buddy that used the C39 for a weekend long tactical course. No cleaning, low 4 digits of rounds fired w/out an issue. He likes his.

PT-92

First off, you can't go wrong with either as they are both fine companies as Ruger has been around forever and CAI has emerged from its initial criticism (dealing with typical workout of bugs via C39v1) received when they became the first 100% made U.S. AK -47--Now you will be very hard pressed to find a single bad review of their C39v2 and mine has been more than I expected for a $<700 AK. I know a guy who took Yeager's Tactical AK course with his original C39v1 and even Yeager loves them.

Here's my take, with the political climate the way it is now I would purchase any "nasty looking assault rifle" while you can, meaning in this particular case the C39, as the Ruger is more liable to pass the "PC" longer IMO. Do not take this to imply that I will not fight 'tooth and nail' with the NRA & CO. to prevent these idiotic politicians form making the U.S. one big "California."