Century 1975 AK

Jeffenwulf

Hey all, I've had my heart set on getting some sort of AK variant for quite a while now. I ran into a nice looking, though used, CIA 1975 AK at my local gun shop. They're typically priced pretty high, and this was no exception. It was $549 on the tag and they don't get talked down. This is the only one I've seen out here in the middle of nowhere. I know the 1975 is about the same price from Century with the 6 position stock instead of the fixed. I'm also going to get stuck paying the 8% sales tax if I buy locally. I've seen an advertisement for a Norinco in Austin, but the shop owner never called me back.

What say you? Do I stay smart, wait for the right one, and have it shipped & transferred for about what the tax would cost me here or do I support my local gun shop and get beat up on the price? I can't find a whole lot of information about this variant anywhere so I don't even know if it's better than the different WASR variants, also from Century.

IZZY

There are TWO "75" models out there marketed by century.

Make sure to get the one with the electro-stencil that essentially says its made in ROMANIA by ROMARM (the state arsenal).

Otherwise you have a soft button rifled barrel (US MADE) vs. a chrome lined hammer forged barrel.

Quick way to tell is does it have dimples? If so it is USA made by century monkeys vs. an State arsenal made gun. (Romania)

See: http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=341923

549 is a RIP OFF.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AKAGUN20.aspx

Center fire has em for 400 (plus shipping and ffl costs...you should be ableto have an ffl order one for 25 to 30 bucks over cost)

Mosin44az

Make sure it wasn't put together by the Century monkeys. They did an awful job on the two Century AKs I bought (and have since dumped), a WASR-10 and a Yugo M70AB2 underfolder. Apparently it takes at least a little skill and knowledge to put together an AK properly.

If you want one that functions reliably, that is.