Centme owners, PLEASE speak up!

Glenner

I'm looking at a Centme for about $500. I love that HK-91 look and I love the way the HK-91 shoots, but I can't drop the bucks right now.

Does the Centme shoot much like the HK-91, or am I just dreaming?

I'd like to hear the Pro's and Con's on the old Centme.

THANK YOU for any helpful information!

wjkuleck

You should be aware that the CAI "CETME" and "HK 91" are neither. They are assembled in VT from parts kits on US-sourced receivers. CAI has used a number of different receivers from different suppliers over the life of these roller-lock products.

The PTR-91, on the other hand, is a horse of a different kettle of worms. It's made in the HK way using HK tooling sourced from Argentina, I think. In any case, the quality of the PTR is markedly superior to the CAI products. And yes, I have a CAI CETME and PTR-91.

The CETME and the HK 91 are functionally identical. Many parts interchange, for that matter. As far as shooting, if the CETME works, it's identical to the "HK." If not (my first CAI CETME didn't; to CAI's credit, they replaced it), the point is moot, isn't it?

Regards,

Walt

rogertc1

I got my Century CETME way back in 2001 when they first came out using like new parks kits and like new wood. They all took gunsmithing to get them to function and fit together properly. Got mine working just fine. But them i like to work on guns too. Mine sure looks good too.

Good luck.

joeb

Just make certain that it doesn't have a worn out trunnion(junk) or a ground bolt head(to achieve a false gap). Nothing can be done cheaply to fix the trunnion...A ground bolt head can be replaced and/or in conjunction with over sized rollers and a new locking piece a serviceable gap may be restored.
Keep in mind that century is infamous for doing things differently....An ak is hard to screw up and they proven that they are more than capable of that task.

BuckHammer

When I was in the market for one of these, the cheapest CETMEs I found were in the $600 range with decent ones around $700. Before I bought one, I realized, I'm already gonna drop $700 on something that Century scavenged and put together, why not spring the extra $300 for a $1000 PTR? I went with the brand new PTR. I love it and it was entirely worth it. Then again, I have never fired a CETME, although I did handle one, and from what I could tell from handling it, the PTR is superior in every way. However, there is a $300 gap there, and only you can decide how big a gap that is for you. For me, $300 was not that much to get VERY close to the real thing, when the gap to a real HK91 in good condition was much steeper. The only thing I can tell you is devote some thought to it, which you are undoubtedly already doing, based on the fact that you made this thread to begin with. Either way, it's a good, solid system that I highly recommend.

rtwhite1

Have any pics of the PTR you bought? Also, I have been searching for CETME building on this forum and havent found any. I have 3 CETME kits and a POF HK91 kit i have aquired. I picked up a Century CETME SS receiver and several ORF sheet metal receivers to build these out. Anyone have any links they can post? Need to clip the fire box and put the shelf in but cant find any documentation.

amd6547

When I bought my CETME, they were going for $350.
Now, I have seen them for $800, and a thread on militaryfirearm.com mentioned seeing them for $1000 at a recent gun show.
By the way, that site is the old cetmerifles.com...definately the place to go for CETME info.

Dave R

Can't remember what year I bought mine. Like all Century rifles, it took some gunsmithing to get right. I had to modify the front sight to get enough windage adjustment to get on target. And there was a burr on the receiver that prevented the mag release from extending (and holding) fully.

Once I got those things fixed, l love the thing. Consistently shoots 2MOA with (good) surplus ammo and iron sights. Recoil is very soft for a .308. But that Century muzzle brake is LOUD!

Truckey

I bought one used for 500 at gun show recently. It shoots well, when I can cock it, as there's some kind of internal problem I have to have sorted out. But generally, this is what I've noticed:

Pros: Cheap, semi-auto, .308, shoots well, mags are VERY cheap and widely available, parts are cheap and widely available.

Cons: Cheap, ergonomic nightmare, rough trigger, loud, heavy.

Mine also requires a hammer and pin punch to perform basic disassembly. I don't know how common that is, but it's very inconvenient.

NWCP

I have an HK91. Mine is a pre ban German import with all HK parts. I suppose if you could find a decent CETME you'd be OK, but there have a been a lot of problems in the past with the quality from Century. You'd be better off getting a PTR if you can't afford an HK. The PTRs are nicely made rifles. The basic design is robust very reliable and quite accurate for a battle rifle. They are loud (17.71" barrel) and they do a number on the brass so reloading is pretty much out the window. The rifle is a pleasure to shoot and should last longer than the shooter if properly maintained.

andrewjschrier

cetme issues

Hello, i bought my cetme for around $700 years ago. since then, i have modified it. For those of you with cocking problems. Your rifle simply needs a really good cleaning. If you installed a recoil buffer, make sure its flush. you can generally see indents in the rubber, if its not. I had to cut the little tab off mine. compared to the hk 91 its a great gun for the money. You my have to play with it at first though. If your having mag issues, take a file a to that little metal part at the top/side of the mag then oil it. After that your mags will slide in and with no problems. Dont worry its not that much to file. enjoy your cetme.