Centerfire to .22 conversions?

Carbon_15

What is the general concensus on these conversion kits? Accurate? reliable? I'm particularly interested in the Ciener <sp> Glock conversions.

Thanks

JohnKSa

Administrator
From what I've seen/heard/read, they are usually more accurate than the unconverted centerfire version of the gun. Reliability is usually pretty good, but often not as good as an equivalent rimfire pistol.

Here's my two cents.

For what they cost, you could buy a complete .22 pistol. It would probably be more accurate than the conversion kit, and you wouldn't be putting wear and tear on your centerfire gun.

The only reason I can see for the conversion kits is if you live in an area which restricts the number of guns you own.

Some argue that they are valuable training tools for your centerfire weapon, but I disagree. Most of why I practice centerfire is for recoil control and recovery. If I'm just after shooting form/trigger control, I'll either dryfire or use an airpistol which I can shoot in my garage for less than even a .22.

Greybeard

Got one of the units you mentioned about a year ago for Glock 17 from the same folks. Accuracy is quite similar to 9mm barrel. I wish they would use sights that are more like what is on standard Glock slide. The ones on conversion kit are all black.

The biggest complaint I had / have with the thing is an excessive number of misfires. Seems like their instruction book said something to the effect of "common during 200 to 400 round break-in period", but mine was well beyond that and still having way too many - approx 30% of the time. I was prepared to ship it back to them and had called to do so when the girl suggsted I try Remington ammo. I found some and they wer somewhat better - maybe 1 out of 10.

I bought it to have for plinking, but primarily for use in starting out novices with .22 and then being able to transition with same gun to 9mm. The misfire problem mentioned about created such a goat orgy the first couple of times that I put it in student's hands, it was boxed up, cleaned up (again) and tossed in gun safe until I have more time to fool with it. In the meantime, I have been using other .22s that DO go bang every time the triggr is pulled ...

Sorry, I wish that I could give you a glowing report, but the above represents my experience to date. I think there are some other people who make .22 conversion kits too, but know not if for Glocks ... regards Greybeard

VictorLouis

I have personal experience with the excellent Advantage Arms kit for the Glock(19) and the CZ Kadet Kit for their M75. I cannot speak highly enough about them. I think the edge in design goes to the CZ only because the upper is all-steel, which better duplicates the weigh of the centerfire top-end.

rick_reno

22 conversions

You should look here before buying the Ceiner Glock conversion. These conversions work. The Ceiner kits have been known to have reliability/functionality problems.
http://www.advantagearms.com/

I'd have to disagree that you're better off buying a 22 pistol. These things are good to practice with (same grip, same trigger). Lots of Bullseye shooters use them on 1911 frames - most of those are the Marvel conversions.

craigz

The consensus seems to be that while both of the Glock conversions can have functionality problems, Advantage Arms will bend over backwards to make it right, while Ceiner, to put it kindly, won't. I have a Marvel 1911 kit, and it is amazingly accurate and eats everything I've put through it. Absolutely a superb product, though it is expensive.

Brian Newbill

I have an advantage arms conversion. I used it this weekend. Occasionally I will get a failure to feed or the magazine follower will get stuck in the magazine. I fired off 100 rounds of 15 yr old .22 ammo and I had 1 failure to fire. And 3 failures to feed (just tap rack bang).

Occasionally with the cheaper .22 from Federal I will get a double feed when there wasn't enough umph to push the slide back all the way. But AA does say to use 40 gr to get the best reliability.

I don't mind an occasional malfunction. (Espcially since Glocks never malfunction) Teaches you to clear it correctly.

Accuracy wise I was standing at 25 yards shooting at a 1 inch square flipping target and hitting it at least every 3rd shot. As quickly as I could pull the trigger. It shoots as good or better than my Ruger MKII with easier to clear failures. It is not as accurate as my S&W 617 but I think that is related to the trigger.

I feel it has helped me immensly with my Glock shooting however. I am alot more familiar with the trigger especially in rapid fire (which you can't do dry firing)

As long as you keep the magazines clean you will be ok. After about 300 or 400 rounds they will get sticky and need to be cleaned.

To make a long story short. Get the AA. You will enjoy it.

dawg23

If you really want to know the difference between the Ciener kit and the Advantage Arms Conversion Kit (AACK), go to Glock Talk and run a search on "AACK" or "CIENER" or "ADVANTAGE ARMS".

You will find that almost everybody hates the Ciener kit (unreliable and LOUSY customer service). You will also find that almost everybody loves their AACK (extremely reliable and outstanding customer service).

There are a lot of reasons to buy a kit for a Glock:

1. You get to practice using the same Glock factory trigger.
2. " " " " " " " " " sights.
3. " " " " " " " " " mag release.
4. Same Glock manual of arms.
5. Slide locks back on empty mag just like factory mags.

AACK is the best investment that I've made in handguns. It's great for teaching new shooters before you move them up to the centerfire caliber Glocks.

The AACK costs more than the Ciener, and sells as fast as they make them - wonder why ??

You will RARELY (if ever) see a used AACK for sale on GunBroker or Auction Arms - wonder why ??