Ccw

joshua

I have carried concealed before and I use to prefer full size guns, because if the need arises for the pistol to be unholstered and I do get into a gun fight I wanted a full size because it will be more accurate due to controlability and most of the time pack more rounds. After a while I have change my way of thinking and switch to a commander 1911, it's a bit more compact and offers the same amount of controlability and firepower. Now I'm begining to think an officer's length slide with a commander lower is better. All in 45ACP of course. I have had to compromise once and used a S&W66 2.5" bbl. Am I going the right direction, or am I setting myself up for failure. After many drills on the range my scores are a lot better with a 5" 1911. Should I stick with that? josh

RWK

Josh,

In 1911A1 “type” autoloaders, I do not find much difference in “concealability”, in weight, or in size between the officer, commander, and full-size models. Therefore, I opt for the five-inch barrel 1911A1, with 8+1 rounds, a longer sight radius, and a somewhat greater mass. The extra inch (or so) of barrel and grip length has never posed a concealment problem for me and – like you – I prefer the full-size .45 caliber automatic's capacity, better practical accuracy (due to sight radius), and faster shot-recovery (due to marginally more mass and forward center of gravity).

nemesis

In 1911A1 “type” autoloaders, I do not find much difference in “concealability”, in weight, or in size between the officer, commander, and full-size models.

With all due respect, I must ask whether you carry full time, every day and at work.

I usually carry an Officers Model but sometimes carry a 1911 and there is certainly a lot of difference. My Officers Model is easily concealable in the office but the Government model is noticeable when sitting (it sometimes bites my butt) and the grip is noticeable under a shirt where the Officers model is invisible.

Weight is not a factor to me but size does matter.

TX_RGR

As long as you are breaking it down, why not consider that in "actual conditions" you will have to unholster a larger weapon, without snagging the sights or hammer, and rely on a semi-auto to cycle properly. Are you carrying cocked and locked or do you need to drop a safety or cycle the action before firing? Considering capacity before all these seems to be a bit premature. You need to get off one good shot before worrying about how many more you have. You may consider a wheelgun for an every day sort of thing and bring the heavy artillery if traveling through goblin territory. I say this because of the inherent advantages in a revolver and nothing more.

1) Goes bang every time. No slide action or feeding necessary.
2) No safety to drop or forget it is engaged. No slide to work.
3) Bobbed hammers and low or no rear sights prevent a snag on the way out
4) Better suited for carrying and easier to draw compared to a large frame auto
5) Any misfire is cleared by pulling the trigger.

For self defense, which is what I believe we are talking about, the wheelie offers a lot of advantages. Of course--it goes without saying--(but it seems like someone always does) if you know trouble is coming, reach for something that will make more of an impression. :)

RWK

nemesis,

I carried a full sized, five-inch barrel, Kimber, Colt, or Springfield 1911A1 virtually everyday for years, using a good belt (Kevlar inner liner, for strength) and a Milt Sparks IWB holster with absolutely no problems.

Foxy

I currently CCW a Kimber Pro Carry II; it's a 4" barrelled slide on a full-size frame. I carry it in an OWB holster. I find that it is very concealable, even under a t-shirt. I prefer the shorter barrel than full-size, because it gives me just that little extra margin before it pokes out under the bottom of my shirt. I could probably get away carrying the full-size, though. I find that I shoot the Kimber about as accurately as a full size 1911. For instance, this target was at 10 yards at the end of the day, after I was shaky, tired, and sore. A full 50 round box went into this at a fairly rapid pace.

P7310010.jpg

However, if you're more comfortable carrying and shooting a full-size, let that make your decision, and not some internet commandos. If you can conceal the full-size, and you shoot it more comfortably, why not use it?

Texas Ranger,

At the range yesterday, a friend of mine was having problems with his revolver. I guess the (reloaded) ammunition he was using were not quite properly crimped, and the bullets were actually moving forward very slightly in the casing. This locked up the revolver; you couldn't clear it by pulling the trigger.

Besides, I'd hate to see a hangfire be solved by pulling the trigger! :)

joshua

Foxy, Nice group there. I don't carry right now since I'm currently stationed overseas. I think I will carry the full size 1911 as much as possible, as long as I can wear a jacket or a sweater. Then durign the summer time I will have to go with a commander or officers depending on the clothes I wear. I have carried revolvers, although I have nothing against them I just like the feel of the flat side of an auto especially a 1911. The revolver feels fat for me. I've only had one problem with revolver before and that was with some improperly reloaded ammunition. I prefer a 1911 for carry and that is cocked and locked if my carry mode for it. At home the 1911 is still cocked and locked, but I have a couple of revolvers ready for duty. A S&W66 by the night stand and a Ruger GP100 inside the safe. Thanks for all your inputs. josh

TX_RGR

Foxy--

I guess since your buddy had some trouble with some bad ammo once that means auto pistols are more reliable. :rolleyes:

Nice try, but...No.

smoke63b

Using messed up reloads for your carry rounds would be silly anyway. I'd rather use something from the factory for carry purposes.

XavierBreath

I have found that a Government carries a bit better than an Officer's ACP in a hip holster, because the longer barrel helps balance out the weight of the ammo in the grip. The Commander works better for me if I'm going to be sitting a lot. The Officer's ACP works best if I must carry it in a SmartCarry type holster.

Foxy

TX RGR,

Please point out exactly where I said that autos were more reliable than revolvers.

I merely was pointing out that not ALL misfires can be solved merely by pulling the trigger on a revolver, as you stated in your fifth point on why revolvers are better.

joshua

smoke63b, there were only a few flawed reloads in the batch of 100, but you couldn't really tell unless you use a match ammo gauge. I think it was brand new brass that was over the max length combined with a small size chamber - making the rounds stick or create higher pressure. The problem was pronounce in 2 or 3 chambers out of 6, not all of them. josh