CCW safe lubricant

xMINORxTHREATx

I know that sounds weird but I just had a realization.

When I go to the range, I always put a few extra drops of CLP on my gun. If it's my Ruger 10/22, I put half a bottle !!!! :D:D:D

I know that an improperly lubed gun is an unreliable gun. And I also know that CLP stains on your white shirt are permanent. :( and they draw unnecessary attention. :eek:

So my question is this, what kind of oil would you guys suggest. The only thing I have EVER used was CLP from Otis. The same kit that was issued to me in the Army. I'm about to run out of CLP and I'm starting to look for something that works well for CCW use. IE doesn't leave a lot of residue, or something where the "less is more" saying holds true.

Any suggestions?

I haven't paid much attention to cleaning supplies and chemicals, as I usually stick with what I'm used to, and I've been using CLP and my Otis kit for five years. I've heard a few people mention lithium grease, but can't remember a company name attached to it.

Vermonter

hoppes

I am not sure if I spelled it correctly but you know what I mean. I use all of their products and I never have an issue in regards to resedue.

Vermonter

xMINORxTHREATx

My Dad swears by Hoppes Number 9 or whatever number it is. lol

I will check out one of his guns next time I shoot with him and see if it feels as oily as mine does.

I use a light coating of Brian Enos' Slide Glide Lite on the rails of my carry pistol. Once applied, I simply wipe off any excess. You can wipe down the pistol with silicone cloth if you are concerned about corrosion. I leave the grips dry.

The light grease mentioned above, stays put and provides good lubrication as well. I have not noticed any shirt stains yet. I use this grease for all my semi-auto pistols and have found the rails still have pretty good lubrication even after shooting 500 rounds in a few hours at the range. Works much better then any oil have have used in the past. I still use gun oil on the outside of the pistol and the trigger assembly when I put them up after cleaning them.

When I go to the range and plan to shoot my carry pistol I don't wear a white shirt. The grease might go on the out side of the gun from the rails. This grease is red in color. I haven't noticed any stains on my colored T-shirts after being cleaned. Carrying all day and not shooting the pistol and no stains on White T-Shirts for me.

jhenry

Hoppes #9 is a solvent, not a lubricant and should not be used as a lubricant. If you are using so much of whatever brand of oil/grease you prefer, that it is staining your clothes, then you are certainly using too much.

xMINORxTHREATx

It's not that its dripping wet or anything, I just noticed that I store my gun with the right side (if you are aiming it) down, and over a few nights the oil settled to that side of the gun. When I got it out and carried out, my white tee shirt had a noticeable area where the oil was. I'm pretty sure it's because of the oil settling to the one side, but I don't use a whole lot of oil when I'm not at the range.

Thats another part of my question that I guess I didn't elaborate on. Since I won't have the time to put a few extra drops of CLP on in a SD situation, what oil do you guys use, preferable one that doesn't dissipate as much as CLP does.

xMINORxTHREATx

By the way, Hoppes #9 is a solvent. I thought the oil is called #9 too because his bottle has a 9 on it, but I guess that's just the Hoppes logo? It's on all their products.

hoytinak

Yeah, sounds like you're just using too much. With CLP (just about any good lube) a little bit goes a long way. Read the owner's manual of your firearm and it'll tell you where and how much to lube properly.

Other than that, I like Weapons Shield myself. :)

Sixer

Use just enough lubricant that it leaves a fingerprint when touched... anything more is probably unnecessary. If you CLP is still runny or gathering to one side of the gun, you're likely using too much.

That said, some guns like more lube than others. Still, I normally use CLP on all of my firearms and have never noticed any stains from CCW.

Eagle0711

On a gun that is carried for SD I would keep any lube out of the chamber, and away from primers. It's easy to penetrate them and make them inert.

riggins_83

I've been using Shooter's Choice FP10 for about a year and love it. Not too thick, not too thin.

On a side not I've been using Gunslick foaming bore cleaner when cleaning the guns... great stuff and ammonia free!

PSP

TW25b stays where you put it along the rails. Militec-1 everywhere else that rubs or pivots. A little dab'll do ya.

johnbt

TW-25B.

A side benefit is that you can blow the pocket lint off the gun and grit doesn't stick to it. Applied according to the directions it's like a dry lube.

Don't goop it on. I use one end of a q-tip to apply a little and the clean end to wipe nearly all of it off.

Kreyzhorse

I know that an improperly lubed gun is an unreliable gun. And I also know that CLP stains on your white shirt are permanent. and they draw unnecessary attention.

You are using too much oil.

Clean it, oil it and put it away after shooting. You don't need to relube the gun again before you take it to the range. A little oil really does go a long way in keeping your guns running smooth.

CajunBass

I run my guns more or less dry and have never had a problem with them. It's used for lubrication, not for cooling (like an automobile engine). A couple of drops, then wipe most of that off.

What kind? I used some stuff called "gun oil." The brand isn't important.

(If you're using a half a bottle on a 10/22 you're in the process of ruining the stock.)

xMINORxTHREATx

Stock is synthetic on my 10/22, I'm not sure whats up with it, but it went from being ultra reliable to jamming every five rounds and I've only put about 2000 rounds through it. Putting extra CLP on it seems to help, but still jams a lot, and I don't use bulk ammo either. (half a bottle was exaggerated, I put about three drops on it, cycle it a few times, then put a drop on the bolt face and cycle it)

I probably am using too much. In basic training (I know our conditions there are far from normal everyday conditions) when we went to the range, my Drill Sergeants would put like five or six drops on our rifles as we walked up to the range. Four or so on the bolt, and one or two on the bolt face. I kept using that same method, and carried it over to pistols, so I'm probably going overboard with it.