CCW & Lightning

mk86fcc

My wife witnessed three of her coworkers be struck by lightning Tuesday. (DOCSpanky - yes, it's the strike you're thinking of - the white Lumina sitting in the middle of everything was her's.) Thankfully, all are expected to recover fully. Got me thinking though. Given the amount of heat generated in a strike, not to mention the voltage potential, what's the likelihood of ammuntion cooking off? I normally carry in an IWB at about my 4:00 - if I survived the strike would I be picking S&W and Federal splinters out of my butt forever?

------------------
"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Luke 22:36
"An armed society is a polite society."
Robert Heinlein
"Power corrupts. Absolute power - is kinda cool!"
Fred Reed

Kentucky Rifle

When I was in my 20's, I was a carpet salesman. One dark night I was trying to find a house on the outskirts of Louisville. The thunderstorm had just started. I didn't think too much about it. I found a pay phone, went in, and dropped my quarter in the slot. As I was dialing, a HUGE lightning bolt struck the pole that was right by the pay phone booth. Nearly blinded, I ran through the shower of burning splinters form the pole which were raining down upon me. I didn't stop at my car, but ran to the edge of the parking lot. Then I proceeded to feel myself ALL over, fully expecting to find SOME part of my body blown completely off. Luckily, there was no damage except for a strange burn on my index finger.
I now have a healthy respect for thunderstorms.

(Shudder!!)
Will

------------------
Mendacity is the system we live in.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
If your hit by lightning directly enough to cook off your rounds - that 9mm that cut a ditch accross your right buttocks is the least of your concerns.

Glenn E. Meyer

I was a graduate student and walking across campus carrying a Fortran program in one of the boxes you used to get the punched cards in. Tells you my age!

Anyway, there was a thunderstorm overhead and I had my umbrella up. Big flash and simultaneous BOOOOMMM. Out of the metal button that you press to open the umbrella comes a big long bright stream of electrons that hits the bridge of my metal frame granny glasses and I feel it go into my bean through the ear stems.

No, I did not gain superpowers after that as my daughter once asked me.

Jack 99

No kidding. Lucky doesn't even begin to describe. We had lightning hit a tree in our yard once and I nearly wet myself. That's as close as I ever want to be.

You must have time on your hands Chief, if you're worrying about lightning strikes while carrying ;)

Anyway, I dont' think electricity itself would cook off rounds, but heat would. If your roscoe got that hot, you'd probably be dead anyway.

What would you do about it anyway, put on a lightning rod hat when carrying?

mk86fcc

Nuthin' I could do about it, and the only reason I got to thinking about it was my wife's proximity to the strike - one fellow in front of her, two behind her (explain that!). Just got to wondering whether the heat or electric (I know electric can light off .22s) would cook any off. Figure the one in line with the muzzle would probably put a nice seam down my leg, but wondered what ones in the other chambers might do.

------------------
"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Luke 22:36
"An armed society is a polite society."
Robert Heinlein
"Power corrupts. Absolute power - is kinda cool!"
Fred Reed

[This message has been edited by mk86fcc (edited June 30, 2000).]

USP45

While lifeguarding as a kid, i had been knocked off my feet three (yes 3) times by lightening on seperate ocations. Twice while screaming at people to get out of the f'ing water.

I've had my truck struck by lightening two or three times. No damage, save for a need to replace the CB antenna.

(I have a tendancy to go out and watch the fireworks. :D )

I wouldn't worry to much about being struck by lightening while CCW.

1) Even in a polymer handgun like a USP or a Glock, the bullet is surrounded by a metallic chamber, this will prevent the flow of electricity to the cartridge.

2) If there were enough heat generated on your pistol (1/4" to 3/8" steel or aluminium to carry the flow of electricity), to cook off the rounds, you'd be dead anywhoo.

3) Rounds in the magazine would be a bigger concern, especially in a polymer magazine. But even then, the brass would still conduct the electricity around the outside of the case, and shouldn't spark the powder or primer.

------------------

~USP

"[Even if there would be] few tears shed if and when the Second Amendment is held to guarantee nothing more than the state National Guard, this would simply show that the Founders were right when they feared that some future generation might wish to abandon liberties that they considered essential, and so sought to protect those liberties in a Bill of Rights. We may tolerate the abridgement of property rights and the elimination of a right to bear arms; but we should not pretend that these are not reductions of rights." -- Justice Scalia 1998

Seronac

Which brings to mind another question: What would happen to the new Remington EtronX in the event of lightning strike? I expect the electronics of the gun would be fried, but what about the cartridges?

Gopher .45

USP45 brought up a neat point few people realize. Lightning is not typically conducted through metal - hence rounds should not cook off. Why is this? Lightning is static electricity that travels through the air. Materials such as metal actually hinder its ability to search out ground and the lightning passes over metal. People are usually safe in metal cars for this reason - the lightning just cascades over the car like water over an umbrella. This is contrary to normal AC and DC electricity, however.