ccw in your state?

rickyjames

questions about your ccw license in your state.

1. do you have to have your carry gun or guns listed on your license?
2. are you limited to carrying only the guns listed on your license?
3. are you limited to the number of guns you can carry at one time?
4. how does this affect reciprocity with other states?
5. is there anything odd or different in the ccw laws of your state?

thank you.

AirForceShooter

Florida:
Guns are NOT listed on the CCW. The Florida laws prohibit registration of guns.

Florida ia one of the most widely accepted CCW's in the country.

AFS

carguychris

Regarding #1 and #2, TX has one peculiarity: if you perform the shooting test at the CHL class using a revolver, you are issued a restricted "Non Semi Automatic" (NSA) license.

The only semi-auto I owned when I took the CHL class was a .22, and the test has to be done using a handgun .32-caliber or larger, so I borrowed my brother's 9mm SIG for the shooting test since I didn't want the restricted license.

Doc Intrepid

Define "odd".....

rickyjames said:
"questions about your ccw license in your state.

5. is there anything odd or different in the ccw laws of your state?"

I currently live in the state of Washington, however, have had CCW permits in both Colorado and Virginia as well. To the best of my understanding my responses to 1-4 below apply to all three state CCW licenses (although I had the Colorado CCW in the mid 1990s and things may have changed since then.)

1. No.
2. No.
3. No. You may carry more than one handgun if you wish.
4. Reciprocity is a legislative function. For example - Washington CCW permits are accepted in Idaho and Montana, but not Wyoming. Source: http://www.handgunlaw.us/ It is possible that they will vary over time, as state administrations and legislatures change.
5. While I would not describe this as "odd" it may be "different": in the state of Washington if you possess a CCW license and present it when you are buying a handgun, you are exempted from the 5-day waiting period. You are allowed to pay for the firearm and walk out of the store with it immediately. If you do not possess a CCW, or if you possess one but do not have it with you at the time of sale, then you must wait 5 days before picking up your new handgun.

Here is a related thread you may find enlightening, describing (among other things) benefits of CCW licenses:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3903055#post3903055 Search is your friend!

FWIW.

Doc

NavyLT

Also uncommon in Washington state is that no training is required to obtain the permit! (The way it should be in all states!) This would be a reason that some states would deny reciprocity with Washington.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus

1)Yes, all handguns that NYers own must be listed on their license.
2)Yes, because any gun not listed does not belong to you.
3)No.
4)We have virtually no reciprocity with other states.
5)Actually, once we have a permit, our laws are quite often less restrictive than other states. Airport carry is allowed, church carry and private property carry are, essentially, unrestricted. No limits on numbers of guns owned or carried.

Bohica6284

SC reciprocates with 13 other states and this info can be found on the NRA website. No firearms listed on license and nothing that says how many you can carry at one time....though I have no idea why anyone would need more than one.

bblatt11

5. is there anything odd or different in the ccw laws of your state?"

1. No guns listed on the license.
2. License allows general concealed carry of any handgun.
3. Nope.
4. Indiana has very good reciprocity, by both statute and agreements woth other states.
5. Not really, other than a current bill which would, if passed, make it unlawful to carry in your employer's parking lot. However, I think that the bill has constitutional implications in the state, making it unenforceable.

Indiana license can be issued for anything from hunting only to personal defense general carry.

DogoDon

My understanding of North Carolina:

1. do you have to have your carry gun or guns listed on your license? No.
2. are you limited to carrying only the guns listed on your license? No.
3. are you limited to the number of guns you can carry at one time? No.
4. how does this affect reciprocity with other states? Not sure.
5. is there anything odd or different in the ccw laws of your state? A NC CCW permit also acts as a permit to purchase firearms, so no separate purchase permit has to be obtained.

ZeSpectre

Virginia chiming in.
1) No
2) No
3) No
4) A VA permit is honored in 27 states that I know of.
5) A couple of things.
A) concealed carry is currently illegal in a restaurant that serves alcohol. However OPEN carry is legal. So if you walk into a resturant that serves alcohol you must, by law, "unconceal" and switch to open mode. Often called the "Virginia Tuck" (for the action of tucking your cover garment behind the gun and exposing it).
B) Having a CCW permit exempts you from "one gun every 30 days" limits.

Don H

Utah:

1. do you have to have your carry gun or guns listed on your license? No
2. are you limited to carrying only the guns listed on your license? No
3. are you limited to the number of guns you can carry at one time? No
4. how does this affect reciprocity with other states? The Utah permit is recognized by/has reciprocity with 33 states.5. is there anything odd or different in the ccw laws of your state? Utah CCW laws are some of the least restrictive in the country. We can legally carry in bars, public schools, city, county and state government buildings and parks, sporting events, hospitals, churches (unless the church takes specific actions to prohibit CCW), public transit, polling places, non-secure areas of airports, "NO GUNS" signs at stores, malls, etc. have no legal weight, etc.

EDIT: One more thing--we recognize CCW permits issued by all states/counties.

Last edited:

rwilson452

PA

ccw in your state?

No, there is no list.

Again, no list

No

The major reciprocity factor is the lack of a training requirement.

No exactly odd but open carry is allowed with or without a "license to carry a firearm". You can carry any type of "short arm" including NFA stuff. Long guns are not permitted. Transport of pistols etc. in a vehicle is limited without a LTCF.

PA is a "shall issue state".

Add: I should have mentioned if you have a LTCF you can get a "loaner" from a friend. Sadly some LEO are not aware of this and getting caught with a firearm not your own can cause difficulties but may also in the end get you a fat settlement.

Last edited:

Kreyzhorse

Kentucky

1. No
2. No
3. No
4. Kentucky has a wide ranging reciprocity. Looks like 34 states currently.
5. Anyone, CCW holder or non-holder, resident or visitor, can legally carry a loaded handgun in the glovebox of their vehicle. Open carry is also legal.

Webleymkv

Indiana here. According to Hangunlaw.us, Indiana's CCL (called LTCH here) is honored by 25 other states while Indiana honors all other states' CCL's (only residents of Illinois, Wisconsin, Vermont, and DC cannot carry here as those jurisdictions do not issue CCL's). With regards to states bordering us, Michigan and Kentucky honor our LTCH while Illinois and Ohio do not. Indiana does not offer non-resident LTCH's.

Indiana actually has two types of lisences: Hunting & Target and Personal Protection. A Hunting & Target lisence allows you to transport an unloaded handgun and to hunt with a handgun in Indiana. A Personal Protection lisence covers everything that the H&T lisence does but also allows you to carry a loaded handgun either concealed (reccomended) or openly (discouraged) on your person or in a vehicle for self-defense.

A LTCH is issued to anyone over the age of 18 (as opposed to 21 in most other states) who meets the legal criteria and pays the applicable fees, Indiana is a shall-issue state. Both four-year and more expensive liftime lisences are available.

There is no training requirement in Indiana though several police departments do offer voluntary courses. Also, no weapons are listed on the LTCH and any firearm lawfully posessed by the lisencee that meets the state's legal definition of a handgun may be carried with a LTCH. Rifles, Shotguns, and NFA weapons may not be carried loaded.

Places in which a firearm may not be carried include schools, government buildings, and commercial aircraft. While some businesses prohibit firearms on their premises, the only legal weight this carries is that they may expel you from the premises if you're caught with a firearm (if you refuse to leave you may be prosecuted for trespassing).

Also, there is no limit to how many handguns you may carry at a time.

Last edited:

LeadFistExpress

Colorado:

1. No
2. No
3. No
4. Colorado has reciprocity with at least 23 other states.
5. Colorado is pretty straight forward. Private property owners can disallow carry on their premises, schools are off limits for carry (but you can have one in the car as long as you do not leave the car with it), concealed carry of hand guns in your car is legal across the entire state without a permit (vehicles are considered an extension of your home, I guess this would be different than most states).

fastforty

California here:

1. do you have to have your carry gun or guns listed on your license? Yes

2. are you limited to carrying only the guns listed on your license? Yes

3. are you limited to the number of guns you can carry at one time? No

4. how does this affect reciprocity with other states? Our neighboring states only recognize our permit if we recognize theirs. California won't recognize anyone else's permit, so it's a stalemate.

5. is there anything odd or different in the ccw laws of your state? While any county issued permit is legal throughout the state, there are counties that don't like it. They can detain you for a few hours & try to scare you out of carrying in their jurisdiction but they know that they haven't a legal crutch to stand on.

Last edited:

gearchecker

thank you.

Answers from Idaho.
1) No, There are no specific weapons assigned to the "Concealed Weapons License" in Idaho.
2) No , see item 1
3) No limit on concealed carry, on your person or in any vehicle you are in.
4) Reciprocity is limited only because of the term "Weapon" on our License.
Washington State does not recognize the Concealed Weapons License from Idaho as acceptable because the word "Weapons" is used instead of the words "Firearms" or "Pistol".
Washington has stated that the term "Weapon" is defined as any weapon that is concealable, I.E. knives, Saps, Billy Clubs, and Asian fighting weapons. Washingtons Concealed Licencing policy is only for firearms. For me to legally conceal carry my firearm in the State of Washington I am required to get a seperate license from their state.
They will issue immediatly onsite when I apply and show my Idaho Concealed Weapons License to them for proof of my qualifying for it. No additional background checks or waiting period is required.
5) Yes, it covers all type of weapons that can be concealed and that may be possessed under Federal law.