CCW in Yolo County, California

pittspilot

So I live in Davis, California and was doing a search on CCW stuff. I find out that I live in Yolo county and that the sheriff has a fairly straightforward site when it comes to CCW's. I call them, and they tell me to take this class at Yuba.

So the question then is...Has anyone else here received thier CCW from the Yolo county sheriff? How was it etc? Should I spend the $50 on the class. (Actually 50 bucks is not bad for 3 hours of class and 4 hours of range time)

Thanks. This is a law school project of mine

Jim March

YOU CAN ROLL A YOLO, TO YOUR FRIEND...

Ahem. Sorry 'bout that.

Aaaanyways. I hear it sucks :). Seriously, Yolo has a bad rep. As of 1997 they had 350 permits (countywide, police departments included). That's damned low.

The agency is supposed to create a local CCW policy manual on how they're going to handle discretion:

PENAL CODE 12050.2. Within three months of the effective date of the act adding this section (1/1/1999), each licensing authority shall publish and make available a written policy summarizing the provisions of subparagraphs (A) and (B) of paragraph (1) of subdivision (a) of Section 12050.

You should get that ASAP.

It's unusual for them to send you to training before making a decision on your "good cause for issuance statement". There's a fair bet they're gonna bounce you through hoops before...well, bouncing you completely.

Take a look at my site, esp. the lawsuit in progress and the "Expose Project" files. The Marin County expose will show you a lot of details about how the system is supposed to work per the law and case law. The Oakland material is just funny, the Contra Costa is very detailed.

http://www.ninehundred.com/~equalccw

If all else fails, file a PRAR on their butts:

http://www.ninehundred.com/~equalccw/superprar.html

50 Freak

When I lived in Davis bout 4 years ago, was going to get a CCW myself, but the person I spoke to said unless I really had a good reason as to why I need one (ie. death threats, etc). Very likely the sheriff would just deny it.

Good luck though, give it a shot, all you can lose is $50 bucks.