CCW in Alaska: Welcome, visitors!

Chugach

"Effective August 1, 2002, the State of Alaska will recognize valid concealed handgun permit holders from all other states or any political subdivision of another state.

Alaska Statute 18.65.748 states that a person holding a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun from another state or a political subdivision of another state is a permittee under AS 18.65.700 (b) for purposes of AS 18.65.750 - 18.65.765 if the person has not had an application for a concealed handgun permit rejected in this state because the person was unqualified under AS 18.65.705 or had a concealed handgun permit revoked or suspended by this state."

See this State site for more detail:

Alaska reciprocity

And by the way, how 'bout getting your legislatures to recognize our CCW permits!

Chugach

70-101, thanks, I went to the Virginia state site and Alaska is confirmed. Thanks for the update...I'll pass this on to the Alaska state employee responsible for updating the reciprocity site.

LF&Co. MG

This is great, it gives me an excuse to purchase something really big bore to fend off polar bears and the like if i ever go to Alaska.

70-101

I am planning to purchase a childhood dream as a Christmas present, a Weatherby Mark V in .378 magnum. I think a two week trip to Alaska, to hunt Elk would be a Great Vacation for me next year.

Airwolf

Question about getting a handgun(s) to Alaska.

How?

Doesn't Canada prohibit all handguns and severely restrict long guns?

Do you have to ship via an FFL both ways to get your weapons from the lower 48 and back again?

The only state I haven't visted is Alaska and I'd love to drive up and spend a few months.

Chugach

Airwolf, flying is the easiest. I've transported both long guns and handguns without any difficulty as checked luggage. Check with your carrier though...policies vary from airline to airline.

Previous posts from other members have discussed extensive difficulties in driving through Canada with firearms. I believe them and would never recommend that method. In fact, I had difficulties in 1978 when moving here.

FFL to FFL should work just fine.

M1911

Hooah. Darn I live in the wrong state...

Airwolf: If you know where you're going to stay, send it to yourself in care of the hotel. Make sure they know that a package is coming addressed to you.

M1911

Chugach

Yeah, living in the continental but non-contiguous U.S. has great advantages, but some significant disadvantages occasionally.

For example, I have yet to find suppliers who will ship ammo to Alaska...

Chugach

Oracle, hmmmm, boat may work if you have no intervening Canadian port calls. I won't BS you, I don't know the answer. :(

Not something you'd want to screw up on...Cruise lines should be able to give you the skinny, don't you think?

blades67, do I thank you personally for Arizona's enlightenment? :D

sm

It would seem that my non-resident FL permit fits the guidelines. At the moment my resident AR does not. Someday my state will hopefully get it together a bit better. At least we have CHL here!

brownlow

I was in Alaska this past August, and the law has no provisions against open carry.

And you can 'protect' the firearm in inclement weather. If you have a shoulder holster and its raining, its ok to have the gun on the inside of the jacket.

At least, that was my reading of it. Not that I wanted to test that with a LEO.

But we were so far in the middle of nowhere, it didn't matter.

WGBV