CCW illegal in church in Texas?

LightningJoe

I thought it used to be illegal to carry a gun in church in Texas, but I thought they changed that. Did they change it back again?

zoomie

It's only illegal if the church posts a sign. It was illegal first, then they added a line to make it not.

BlayGlock

Yea, they have to post a sign, and not just a sign saying "no guns allowed".

It has to say something like "Pursuant to Section... under article blah blah blah" it list the exact legislative line and such. If you need more info, I still have my book from the CCW class and I can look up the exact language.

MyGunsJammed

the Church I go to when I am in the DFW area doesnt have any "no guns allowed" signs posted anywhere on the inside or outside of the building... so i guess its ok :D

Creature

CCW is church also illegal in VA:
§18.2-283: To a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place, without good and sufficient reason.

Both my personal safety and peace of mind seem like "good and sufficient reason" to me.

kd5tms

Looking at the current version available online:

PC 46.035 UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER
(b) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the license holder's person:
(6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.

And to my knowledge, it's always been that way.

Last edited:

zoomie

Keep on reading down the page kd5tms.

(i) Subsections (b)(4) hospital, (b)(5) amusement park, (b)(6) church, and (c) any meeting of a governmental entity do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.

Items in italics added by me for reference.

Effectively makes a church like any other property. No 30.06 sign? Not off-limits.

kd5tms

Duly corrected. :cool:

I feel a little let down from my concealed course instructor, we didn't go into the laws as well as I felt we should have. But, that's no excuse for me not reading them completely myself. Will do that next time.