CCW holster for 4" GP-100

braindead0

I'm looking for suggestions, I'm a big guy (6'2" 250#) so there's no problem concealing it really ;-)..

But before I go holster shopping and end up with 50 holsters, thought I'd look for suggestions. I like the safariland high-ride pancake holster I use for my EAA Windicator, it almost fits the GP-100 (a bit small).

What I'd like is possibly a normal rise pancake (I just like being able to remove it easily), I'd kinda prefer hard holster with no thumb break. No IWB or shoulder rig as I'll be using this for IDPA as well (shoot what you carry and all).

I've considered those one that are about at tall as a belt, and most of the barrel sticks out (forgot what they call them) but kinda wonder about the sight causing extraction problems.

Anybody CCW'ing with a 4" full size revo?

dairycreek

Let me suggest holsters by FIST........

I have about a half dozen now (each for a different gun) and I am one satisfied customer. Each holster is hand made for your gun and comes as a high quality item for a IMHO an excellent price. FYI I have included the FIST URL http://www.fist-inc.com/. Give it a once over and you can even call and discuss your wants with Jim Murnak (owner and holster maker supreme). It will take several weeks for your holster to arrive but I am going to bet you will love it! Good shooting:)

braindead0

I've been to all of these in the past, but I was looking for an IDPA holster for my wifees taurus, I'll take anoder look.

Thanks.

mtnbkr

I know it's not what you're asking for, but I can conceal my 4" GP100 with the Galco Fletch High Ride Belt Holster and a shirt tail out or a jacket. It holds high and tight.

For what it's worth, I'm 5'11" and 210lbs.

Chris

mdlowry

I have a Kramer Thomas Perfectionist that works well with my 4" GP100. It carries the revolver close in (for me at least) and with the grip straight up (large cant on the holster). Don't carry the GP anymore since it needs to be fixed. :(

(Not mine, but. . .)
tperfLG.jpg

Edited to add:
Yes, I do CCW a full size 4" revolver. It used to be the GP, but it is now a .41 magnum M&P (model 58). I don't have much of a problem with the N-frame. With a good BELT and holster I can wear it all day without noticing it. No mouseguns for me, thank you.

BTW, I just noticed you didn't want an IWB and the Thomas Perfectionist is IWB.

Preacherman

For a surprisingly good holster in Kydex, try Blade-Tech (http://shop.blade-tech.com/index.ihtml). I used to be a bit sceptical about Kydex in terms of longevity and reliability, but then I tried one of their IWB holsters for my Glock, and boy! was it great! I'm wearing one of their belt holsters at the moment, with my Glock 23 in it. They make good revolver holsters also.

Another interesting option in a paddle holster is the Kramer MSP (Michigan State Police) paddle holster. I have one for my 2½" Model 66, and am very impressed with its comfort and ease of removal when necessary. See http://www.gokart.net/cgi-bin/store.cgi/kramer?page=/index1.html&cart_id=%%cart_id%%.

Bob G.

When I buy, I buy Milt Sparks. Call him up and see what he can do. Very good outfit to work with. Make excellent holsters.
Bob

braindead0

I really wish I could go to a gun show and see all these different holsters, try them out and stuff..now that'd be great!..

My wife is using a blade-tech, pretty nice.. I've got a fobus for my makarov (of course they don't do revos)...couple of Bianci's too..

I'm starting to lean towards fist...as the #7 which looks like pretty close to perfect (except it's not a clip on paddle)...and it's on sale! ;-)

Bob G.

I learned how to make my own this summer. Or I should say I began learning. If you really want to have a ball try it. I'm about 1/2 way done with an IWB cross draw rough side out for my 101. Made an IWB strong side for same gun a little earlier and it is the most comfortable holster I own. You'd be surprised at how much enjoyment you get from doing this.
Bob

braindead0

Well, I've been leatherworking for a long time.. I've made shoes before so I'm sure I could make a holster...

But, I have no local source for good quality leather..and I hate ordering items like leather on-line as with any 'natural' product I need to see the blemishes in a particular peice to decide if it's suitable.

And my leather scrap bin is down to pretty small scraps (except one peice of 15oz sole leather..hmmm ;-)