CCW holder saves the day!

"Merrell racked the slide on his gun to load a round in the chamber."

Yes, the CCW holder drew on a drawn gun and managed to get the robber to back down because of his dramatic flair of racking the slide to chamber a round. The only reason why he isn't dead is because the robber actually had an unloaded gun. This is a Dumb and Dumber scenario. Springing into action and drawing on a drawn gun when you don't have a round in the chamber is just plain idiotic. He no more made the world a safer place than the robber was an actual threat. Of course, nobody at the time knew one another's guns were incapable of firing initially, but that was a reckless and idiotic play on Merrell's part.

So the robber was captured, but only because the robber made even worse decisions about being prepared than Merrell.

JaserST4

Only loaded revolvers. :) Or loaded anything for that matter. It brings up a good point to consider, if you aren't comfortable carrying a ready firearm you could get yourself in serious trouble real quick. I didn't like carrying my Glock that way so I switched to 1911s. Others prefer that style of carry. Bottom line is that being prepared is better than being almost prepared.

rampage841512

Shouldn't have had to rack the slide. If you don't want to carry a loaded gun, don't carry a gun. On the other hand, he wasn't drawing down on a person with a gun pointed at him. It was pointed in another direction so he had a little time. Drawing wasn't the bad decision. Having an empty chamber was.

He had some time, but he did not use that time to accomplish the necessary task. By the time his sights first fell on the robber, his gun should have been ready, round chamber (Israeli draw). The time it would take for the robber to redirect his gun and fire (if it was loaded)at Merrell (with his gun drawn and pointing at the robber) is significantly faster than Merrell can respond to the movement, rack the slide, and fire. Merrell pointed a gun at the robber and made demands at a time when Merrell's gun would not fire. At that moment, he was basically bluffing with his own life on the line. That was not a very bright thing to do.

Manedwolf

Nice outcome, but he basically got lucky. If the robber had a loaded gun, he might be dead instead.

This is a reason why I just ordered an HK P7. Chambering it doesn't cock it, and it's not cocked till you squeeze the grip front. Can draw, cock and fire in the same motion. I like that.