CCW gets beat up?

GojuBrian

I've read in more than a few posts here about people not "wanting to carry such a nice gun," "CCW gets beat up," "carry gun gets treated roughly so....." etc.

Now, I carry a Kimber Pro Carry 2 .45 and/or an LCR and neither they or any of my other guns get treated roughly. I treat them just like I treat all of my firearms with wipedowns and regular cleanings.

What gives????

Head-Space

Some people do CCW and work outdoors in active, physical jobs where the gun gets roughed up. These are the same people who have 4WD trucks they actually take off the road, and boats that look like they get beached on gravel shores.

kozak6

Should you have to use it, it could potentially spend an undetermined amount of time rusting in an evidence locker.

Charles Ellis

Any tool that actually gets used has a much greater chance of sustaining damage. Each incidence of damage may be minor but eventually it becomes noticable(holster wear for instance).More serious damage is also much more likely to occur to a used tool,rather than one that only stays in the box it came in.I don't have and don't want any "safe queens".I'm not a collector,I'm a shooter.

blume357

Actually, my main carry gun is looking better...

It is a stainless steel Sig 230 and I think was previously owned by an LEO with a really bad ankle holster or such and it was dropped a few times... pretty well scratched up. I bought a Bianchi inside the waste band leather holster and this holster is actually smoothing out and get rid of the scratches.

Murdock

Sure, a nice gun could get beat up. If so, it can be fixed.

Oops, but then it would be refinished and worth less, wouldn't it?:(

But wait, isn't "honest wear and tear" what a real collector seeks anyway? A collector should be real happy after I'm dead to get the nice guns I have with the wear I put on them!:rolleyes:

No need to refinish what I've got, then.:D

Kreyzhorse

The more you handle a gun, the more chances it has of getting beat up. In and out of the holster causes wear, being next to your body causes sweat and or humidity to reach the gun. The longer it's your carry piece, the great the chances that those outside forces have to work on a gun.

Now I don't have any guns I won't carry, but I do try to keep mine in good shape, but I carry with the full knowledge that doing so may eventually show on the guns. I don't expect my guns will ever be beat up, but if they get scratched, they get scratched.

45Gunner

It is for this very reason that I have two guns that are designated EDC guns. My Kimber Stainless Pro Carry is the "normal" EDC gun. It is with me most every day and sits on my night stand every night. It is "dressy" and can be worn with a tuxedo.

There are the days that I know I will be in other than "normal" situations and environments such as sand, mud, heavy rain, jungle, etc. that I leave the Kimber home and take my H & K USP Compact. That particular gun has lots of "battle scars" and is able to withstand the rigors of the environment. It has never failed to fire, regardless of what it has been subjected to. And I don't worry about putting a scratch into its matte black finish.

EdInk

It's like the old saying, 'Bikes get repaired, wounds heal and chicks dig scars.'

A little holster wear and scratches give a gun character.

Unless I'm looking it over for purchase, in which case it is severely devalued.:D

Cool_Hand

I love my model 60 and it is my favorite handgun I own but since it is my carry gun I dont go crazy when I get a little scratch or nick on it, your carry gun is a tool, wear and tear will give it character.

Beentown71

EdInk It's like the old saying, 'Bikes get repaired, wounds heal and chicks dig scars.'

A little holster wear and scratches give a gun character.

Unless I'm looking it over for purchase, in which case it is severely devalued.

Yep, me too.

Beentown

YZR

As a rule I buy 'em to carry 'em and they range from a Kel Tec 3AT ($300) to a Kimber Ultra Raptor II ($1000). Why have them if they're just gonna rot in a safe?

wayneinFL

Just putting it in and out of a holster causes finish wear. You may not notice it after a few months, but after a few years, you'll see it, especially next to a new gun. Accidents may happen, too. If you walk by something and the gun clunks against it, there's a ding. If you're fairly active you'll hear that clunk more than once.

DBAR

CCW gets beat up?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've read in more than a few posts here about people not "wanting to carry such a nice gun," "CCW gets beat up," "carry gun gets treated roughly so....." etc.

Now, I carry a Kimber Pro Carry 2 .45 and/or an LCR and neither they or any of my other guns get treated roughly. I treat them just like I treat all of my firearms with wipedowns and regular cleanings.

What gives????

I know that the chances of my gun getting some added wear and tear increase with me carrying it. I just bought a $1,000 Sig P229 SAS GEN II in 357 Sig, and I've been carrying it every day since I bought it. I'm of the opinion that I'd rather have a good, proven, reliable handgun, that isn't going to fail me in the moment of need. I'm sure someday I may retire the Sig from Carry use, and at that point in time I would consider cleaning it up, or having it refinished. With that said, I bought a Glock 36 2 years ago just to keep my other guns from getting beat up. I just sold the Glock 36, and I advertised it as Like New In The Box, and it was. It had no holster wear, and no dings or scratches. I didn't baby it, but I'm not unusually rough on my gear either. I know that most people don't like the soft uncle mikes holsters, but I love them. They don't promote holster wear, and they are perfect for my carrying "appendix" style.

Good Luck, and don't worry about how your gun's going to look, just make sure you have one that you can count on doing the intended job, and the moment of need. The one that you have complete confidence in!

DBAR

DBAR

WESHOOT2

just tonight

I regularly keep at least a back-up gun in my fanny-pack.
I regularly drop or bash my fanny-pack.
My full-size back-up frame is in-the-white, except where it's rusting.
The guns I wear are always bashing their stocks into hard objects as they tear more holes in whatever jacket lining is covering them.

That's what gives for me.....

Daryl

What gives????

Guns are like shoes in that way; the more you wear 'em, the more wear they'll show. An act as simple as sticking a handgun in a holster each morning, and then drawing it out each night will leave wear on the gun over time. Walking around with the gun in the holster will cause wear as well.

A carry gun should also be shot regularly, and shooting causes wear on a gun, too. Your hands will wear on the grips and gripframe, and bullets and powder leave their mark.

Now, I don't know how long you've had your pro-carry, but the LCR is a relatively new firearm. My point is, you haven't carried it very long yet.

Carry it every day for the next 5-10 years and you'll be able to clearly see the wear on it that carrying invariably puts there.

If a person wants their gun to look "new" in 10 years, or 20, or whatever, then they should leave it in the safe. It will not wear much sitting in a safe.

But that's not why I buy a gun. Like shoes, they're no good to me sitting at home looking new.