CCW Documentery, your input needed.

Chris Phelps

In about a month, I will be starting a documentery about firearms, main focus being CCW. I will be interviewing as many people as I can from both sides, in an attempt to be non-biased. Since I plan on sharing the finished product here, I thought perhaps there are certain questions you would like to see asked (to either side of the arguement). Post them here, and I will make a note of [The serious ones], and I will be sure to ask them.

Go for it.

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
A question for the anti-CCW folks:

The Brady Center claims that shall-issue concealed carry laws increase crime rates. John Lott and NRA claim the opposite is true. Assuming that the truth lies somewhere in the middle, (that CCW laws have no effect on crime rates) what reason is there to infringe upon law-abiding citizens' right to keep and bear arms?

psycho nut

If they can't trust us with CCW, and say that we can't, why are they going to trust us to uphold the decision and not CCW. Or owning guns in general?

Chris Phelps

I thought I would share one of the questions I had. This one would be for everyone, but directed toward LEO (perticularly in VT)

Vermont has the lowest crime rate in the nation, and currently is one of only two states that do not require a permit to carry concealed weapons. Do you feel that these are related? If so, how do you feel the CCW law affected the crime rate directly?

azredhawk44

Ask the antis -

If someone breaks into your house and you don't have a gun, how are you going to shoot him?

*I saw that in someone's tag line here. I liked it.:)

But in all seriousness, ask them:

In whose hands does the responsibility for individual protection lie? The army, the police, or our own selfs? Without weapons in the hands of defenders, how do defenders protect themselves from aggressors?

And,

If/when you succeed in taking guns away from US citizens, are you going to make a second pass to take away knives? A third pass for baseball bats? A fourth for box cutters? Maybe take the trees out of my yard so I can't make a pointy stick?

And,

If airlines had allowed firearms to be carried by citizens on board planes, or pilots been armed, would 9/11 have happened?

Chris Phelps

If/when you succeed in taking guns away from US citizens, are you going to make a second pass to take away knives? A third pass for baseball bats? A fourth for box cutters? Maybe take the trees out of my yard so I can't make a pointy stick?

This seems like an Irrelevant question. This is directed toward politicians as more of a question regarding their agenda than one which would support either side of the arguement.

If airlines had allowed firearms to be carried by citizens on board planes, or pilots been armed, would 9/11 have happened?

This is more of a safty risk than just the question at hand. If someone were to open fire in an attempt to defend ones' self, and miss... there is a chance the plane would crash. That question is a very good one for discussion, but again, non-supportive.

On the other hand, if it were rephrased a bit... something more like "what are your views on Concealed carry aboard airliners?", it would spark an arguement for either side very quickly, while remaining unbiased.

CabinJohn

Another variation on your question...

Chris, Your original question regarding VT was to be directed at LEOs, but most LEOs would much rather the general public was unarmed. :(

Instead why not ask "Vermont has the lowest crime rate in the nation, and currently is one of only two states that do not require a permit to carry concealed weapons. Washington DC on the other hand does not permit ANY guns in the hands of its citizens and has the highest rate of (deadly) crime in the nation. Where would you rather live?"

Glenn E. Meyer

Chris - before you make a causal link in VT crime to gun carry - you need to consider the unique demographics of the state.

This way to simplistic. Lott and Kleck use time series to look for changes in county by county crime rates as related to pre and post gun law alterations.

Sorry to be a downer but the argument is more complex.

KSFreeman

azred, that signature line was from the documentary "King of the Hill", a documentary on life in Texas.

Questions to ask antis:

1. Given the horrific examples of tyranny throughout history (Hitler, Mao, USSR) and man's continual inhumanity toward man (Africa, Darfur region, or U.S. history's treatment of African slaves, inter alia), why should we trust government?

2. Give that the government has no duty to protect its citizens (DeShaney), why shouldn't the law-abiding carry arms?

3. Are all civil rights equally important? If so, why shouldn't the RKBA be treated as the First Amendment?

4. Do you trust the government with a monopoly on violence? If so, it that you believe you can control the government? How about those without a voice (e.g. money), should they be at the mercy of the government?

Questions to ask KSFreeman:

1. Why are you so darn cool?:D

WhyteP38

I have a few questions for consideration:

"Since the beginning of our country, some people have abused their First Amendment rights and caused harm to others, including fomenting public sentiment to initiate wars. Should we then restrict or ban everyone's First Amendment rights?"

"Given that it can take up to 20 minutes or so for police to respond to a 911 call--assuming one has a chance to make such a call--how should a woman defend herself when she's attacked by someone on drugs or who has spent the last few years lifting weights in prison?"

"How is it that you can trust people to operate airplanes, tanker trucks full of hazardous chemicals, and other potentially dangerous activities but you can't trust a woman to own a pistol to defend herself?"

"How will restrictions and bans on gun ownership impact criminals who, by definition, disregard laws?"

"Why should the abuses of a few result in infringement of the rights of everyone else?"

"If you allow only law enforcement personnel to legally have guns, how are you going to avoid having a police state?"

EDITTED TO ADD: "What is your specific evidence that people with CCW permits are causing problems, and how was that evidence specifically identified, collected, and analyzed?"

Chris Phelps

Chris, Your original question regarding VT was to be directed at LEOs, but most LEOs would much rather the general public was unarmed.

Instead why not ask "Vermont has the lowest crime rate in the nation, and currently is one of only two states that do not require a permit to carry concealed weapons. Washington DC on the other hand does not permit ANY guns in the hands of its citizens and has the highest rate of (deadly) crime in the nation. Where would you rather live?"

The question is very simple in its nature. Either they think there is a link or they dont. If they do, the question becomes "why?". If they dont, then the next question would be in regards to people arguing that gun bans would lower the crime rate. After all... are they linked, or are they not?

"Most LEO's" is a term I have come to find non-existant in this debate. Any I have talked to seem to be torn between the two. They have to worry more about weapons being drawn on them (although in VT it is VERY rare), but at the same time, the people control the people to a certain extent. It makes the LEO's job easier... but could also make it more dangerous. When asking a LEO about their standpoint, you never know what you are going to get. That is what I love about the idea of interviewing a couple.

Chris - before you make a causal link in VT crime to gun carry - you need to consider the unique demographics of the state.

This way to simplistic. Lott and Kleck use time series to look for changes in county by county crime rates as related to pre and post gun law alterations.

Sorry to be a downer but the argument is more complex.

That is a very valid point. The answer should be "none" since the arguements I heard on pre-ban and post-ban weapons was usually along the lines of "if a rifle has a pistol grip, is it more dangerous than a hunting rifle?" The link was not intended to be casual, as I stated above. Just a way to get an honest reaction to something many people have stated. (one of them being NRA... claiming VT has a 59% lower fatal crime rate than D.C.)

Many good questions here... keep 'em comming! :D

Oh, and to whyte - Excellent questions. I have, however, removed the "woman" parts... since they hold true to men and women alike.

mtn. man

I guess my question would be should'nt all guns be illegal let alone actually carrying one.
After all its worked so well with ILLEGAL drugs there's no doubt it would work just as well with guns.
All we gotta do is pass a law makeing them illegal and problem solved.
We hear from the press constanty how guns take lives but never hear how they save lives.

WhyteP38

Chris, thanks for the compliment. As for the "woman" part, I understand what you're saying, but I put that in there deliberately. One general conception, true or not, is that it's mostly men who are interested in guns. Another general conception that follows from it, again true or not, is that men can defend themselves against other men. Women rarely get the attention they are due in this discussion; when it happens, it's usually Sarah Brady or the hundredth-of-a-million moms marchers.

Which leads me to a question that may or may not be useful but which I always find relevant: "Predators in the animal world usually attack prey that is weaker, such as the young, the sick, and the less physically able. They do so logically because the risk to themselves is much smaller. Why would anyone think that human predators would behave differently?" And therein lies the particular vulnerability of women, because most human predators are men, they are almost always stronger than their female victims, and they can commit the especially brutal act of rape upon women.

And one more: "If you don't have both the RIGHT and the MEANS to defend yourself, how will any of your other rights be valid if you're not able or alive to exercise them?"

Chris Phelps

I definitly see your point regarding women. I have been thinking about that issue since the beginning of this project, and I will definitly be interviewing women regarding the issue, as well. I work in the Federal building in Augusta, and most of the security guards there are women. I am sure one of them would be happy to sit down with me for half an hour some afternoon.