CCW data analysis (counting chickens before they're hatched...)

Jim March

For reasons I can't get into on an open channel, I'm now *very* confident I'm going to get a copy of the Cal-DOJ central database of CCW data. Of course, my copy will be purged of the social security numbers, street addresses, phone numbers, criminal history data, gun make/model/SN info and the like, and that's fine.

What I'll get is the permitholder name, issuing agency, city and county of residence, year of birth, date of CCW issuance/renewal, issuing agency, type of permit (judge/reserve cop/normal), and "occupation". The "occupations" will probably be screened to look for any that might give away too much "safety information", such as "jewelry transporter" or "counsellor at a battered women's shelter". It's unlikely there'll be very many of these, I'd guess under a couple dozen out of about 39k permits.

I may have this as soon as the 30th of this month, the date of the next court hearing. I'd call it better than 50/50 odds.

Therefore, I think it's time we gave some thought as to what to do with this haul (in an electronic spreadsheet format, mind you!).

What I am NOT going to do is publish it, or allow it to be published. The majority of those permits were issued legitimately.

What I will do:

1) I'll make the "raw data" available to legitimate pro-RKBA researchers. Chuck Michel will get a copy within minutes of me scoring it. Others who might be interested include our own Clayton Cramer, maybe Kopel, lord knows who else. Nobody has ever had this much data on California CCW issuance :).

2) In at least some counties, we should look for corruption. Sheriff Blanas of Sacramento has refused at least three lawful attempts to access this data; I'm willing to bet that running his permitholder list against his campaign contributors will turn up massive correlations. There is no donation limit for Sheriff in Sacto county; the quick scan I did of his contributor logs showed simply enormous amounts of money. Up to $50,000 a year from *individual* donors...and many in the five digits a year range. Bet good money there's permitholders there. Others we should check: Santa Clara, San Mateo, Sonoma, Solano, Napa, Monterey, LOS ANGELES, Alameda, many others. Anybody who is known as a pro-gunnie and wants to run the permitholder list past the campaign roster for your Sheriff, I'd be willing to hand over your county's data in exchange for a no-publishing-names promise. I'll do Blanas myself, probably Santa Clara too...but there's more than I can handle alone.

3) "Black demographics analysis": in 1986, a California legislative research group found that in the counties with higher black populations, the CCW issuance rate was lower than in "whiter" counties. I've done a more recent check into the same thing, using 1997 CCW issuance data: http://www.ninehundred.com/~equalccw/ccwdata.html - I want to repeat that with newer data. Note that I cannot easily ID black permitholders from the data.

4) It IS possible to look for individual Latino issuance based on last-name analysis. This will give us the breakdown on Latino CCW issuance per county and for the whole state. The last time anybody did this was 1995 in Fresno County, where the Fresno Bee found a 3% Hispanic permitholder rate in a county that is over 40% Latino. I expect that to hold statewide.

In addition, there is one group that can be easily IDed, that generally has an easy time obtaining CCW: Judges. It is very rare for THEM to be discriminated against, hence we can look at Latino *judge* percentage and see if it's significantly higher than Latino issuance to "regular folks".

5) It's also possible to ID the ladies based on names. In many jurisdictions, CCW is literally handled on a "good ol' boys" basis, with emphasis on the "boys". True, female CCW issuance is always lower (reflecting how few are into shooting recreationally) but we can maybe correct for this by looking at how many of the lady permitholders are gov't employees versus otherwise, and comparing that ratio to the male ratios. What I've noticed informally in the urban counties is that virtually the only lady permitholders you see are gov't connected - people who would normally score such as assistant DAs, Judges, etc.

Am I right in thinking that if the ratios of gov't/non-gov't issuance is severely off by gender, it's a sign of trouble?

6) Ages: DOJ doesn't want to give me the full birth date of each permitholder, but they seem less concerned with just years. Not a problem. Based on year of birth, I can ID counties that have an abnormally high average permitholder age. That in turn is a sign that CCWs are being handled on a "tenured basis" and/or there's corruption going on, as the older/richer/better connected folk score. (Yes, there are poor old folk, but people's peak earning power at higher income levels happens around age 45 to 50.)

7) Does any of this same gender/Latino demographics data exist from any of the shall-issue states, such as Texas? If the TX CCW issuance rate to ladies is 10% of the total, where it's 1% of the total here, that would be a VERY interesting thing to know. Any idea where I could look for that? Texas would be perfect, or AZ which also has a fair number of Hispanics. Latino discrimination, once confirmed, may be what finally forces reforms here.

----------------------

All: does anybody see any fundamental flaws in the above?

Can anybody suggest improvements or other things to look for?

I can handle the initial data analysis and report writing myself...but then I would hope some genuine scholars might be willing to volunteer to check my work and attach their names as having done so. Clayton? Got any contacts? :)

Feel free to forward, nothing here is confidencial.

Jim March
Equal Rights for CCW Home Page
http://www.ninehundred.com/~equalccw

Pendragon

might be interesting to hit an agency with similar but not identical PRARs about 2 months apart.

Compare the data recieved and see if they are giving the same data.

Might also be interesting to have one person make the request in an innocent way, and the other person do it in a way that lets them know what we already got and what we are looking for and why.

Nice guy first, mean guy 60 days later.

Also - might be interesting to have some people try and spot check the process - see if they get turned down for paper apps or other improper business - try it with some women and minorities, etc.

Great Job Jim.

What about Asian permit holders? That should be relatively easy to correlate fairly accurately from last names, too. And I think California still has a significant Asian population, no?

Jim March

Pendragon: good idea, except that each time you do a PRAR on a local agency, it's often like pulling teeth.

No, what I'd rather do is get one response off of the local agency, and compare it to the central Cal-DOJ records. We had one guy brag to another activist I trust over a year ago that if anybody did a PRAR request in his small town, his police chief would "revoke" his permit for five minutes, answer the request without his name on it, and then "reinstate" his permit that same day :barf:. Any such games will pop up in a heartbeat because they can't mucky with the central records :cool:.

In fact, that's a very important argument I intend to make to the Judge in orals: at present, we have no way of auditing the completeness or truthfulness of local PRAR responses. Even without the "good cause details", the Cal-DOJ records will allow that.

Mike, as to Asians: three possible problems...

1) A lot of Asians in California are Filipino, and often have Latino-sounding names.

2) Of the Chinese, how do you tell if a "Lee" is a relative of Bruce Lee, or Robert E. Lee? :) If they've kept a Chinese first name, sure, but many don't. One of my roommates is Chinese, goes by "Raymond", but he's not that long out of Hong Kong and I am quite sure that ain't the name he was born with :).

3) Most importantly, I'm not sure anti-Asian bias is all that high. My own Sheriff is a bigot of the first order, but he's issued to more than one wealthy Asian. The level of bias also seems to vary, with higher rates against Cambodians, Hmong and Filipinos versus the Chinese, Japanese, Koreans. The former came in with lower education levels and from higher-poverty areas, and had a harder time adapting (although many did so spectacularly well).

Overall, I think an "Asian study" will simply be more complex than we need for an equal protection suit.

What the courts haven't figured out is that ANY such bias, against any race or based on gender, will only be the "tip of the iceberg" in that such a system won't really be equitable for *anybody*. Because of that, they should let a plaintiff of ANY race (including white) note the existence of racism in order to stamp it out. They're actually getting there in *criminal* court - there have been cases overturned because blacks were systematically excluded from the jury pool in a case with a white defendant! The white defendants successfully appealed, saying that blacks have different views on subjects like police brutality and practices and hence are better jurors for the defense. There's now good case law backing them up. It's a start, but it needs to be extended over to equal protection cases in civil court.

Sigh. That's OK. The search for minority plaintiffs for suit #4 is something I do when not doing anything else :rolleyes:.

UnknownSailor

From what I've seen, from reading everything you've put out, is that the only discrimination going on WRT CCW permits is whether you are "in" with the Sherrif or Chief in question, whether by campaign contributions, or by knowing him/her personally.

Cronism at it's finest. :mad:

Pendragon

I agree that Asian discrimination is going to be less useful.

Not that it is not there and wrong.

The simple fact is that Asians as a group are at the sweet spot of societies bell curve - they make more, are more educated, etc than all racesincluding caucasian.

I think a lot of racism is rooted in stereotypes about propensities toward violence, hard word, trustworthiness, etc. the tendency is to look at latinos and blacks as beneath the whites, while a lot of white may not see asians in the same way.

Not saying this is right or that I think that way - I just think that is the legacy of racism in America among whites.

My wifes stupid 78 year old grandmother just annoys the hell out of me - she always refers to any minority in the worst way and always thinks her neighbors are "up to something no good".

In Northern Californina, there is a sizeable population of East Indian people. I went to school with a lot of kids of that background.

Anyway - Jim, I wonder how many East Indians have CCWs?

In my opinion, they are among the least accepted minority by the "good old boy" types. We had a lot of them at my church and at a lot of the computer jobs I worked at - good folks to be around - but I bet you will not find many with a permit.

Lots of our bubbas might consider issueing a permit to a Juan, even a Tyrone, but forget about Sundeep - not gonna happen.

Jim March

Ya know, that's a good point.

If we wanted to focus even more, aren't Sikhs identifiable by name? Those poor dudes keep getting mis-identified as Muslim by bigoted morons, and have been subjected to widespread violence. And in some areas, they're a serious demographic blip. (They also tend to be VERY pro-RKBA, these are the guys that all pack 4" concealed daggers somewhere on their person :D.)

<scratches head>

One more thing to look into...

Pendragon

The Sikhs and the Hindus have a serious war or "struggle" going on in India.

The Sikhs are in the minority so a lot of them come here and do very wel.

There is a very large population of them in Sutter and probably Yuba and Coulusa county as well.

I am not sure how pro they are when it comes to actual firearms, but I would bet they lean more pro than anti.

Minority groups who are fighting for their existence cannot afford the luxury of believeing in marxist fairy stories.

A fair amount own businesses - I wonder if we could find a jewelry store owner who would be interested in playing ball :)

Jim March

Problem is, with the numbers of permitholders so low in most places, you need a real high percent of that same group in the population as a whole for the differences to be noteworthy.

Latinos are perfect because they can both be IDed by name (with fair accuracy) and there's scads of 'em around. Even where they're populous, Indian subcontinent folks don't make up 5% of any county, and it's usually under 1%?

I could be wrong, mind you, but for my initial reporting I don't think I'm going to go into that sort of detail. Then again, my data will be available to real scholars and God knows where they'll go with it. Anti-gun scholars are NOT gonna want to touch it, no matter how you look at it (literally) this state's CCW system is an atrocity. We're talkin' maggots-under-every-dirty-bandage ugly. It's probably the nation's worst indictment of gun control, or at least tied for first with the DC handgun ban :rolleyes:.