CCW and the sign that says "NO WEAPONS ALLOWED"

RH Factor

I went to a movie last night with my wife...we stopped at the theater first to get tickets, and then for dinner. As I went into this 20plus screen modern theater complex, I looked at the doors as I went in..keep in mind there are probably 20 or more doors across the front of this place. I saw no sign that said "No Weapons". We went to dinner and came back to the theater...went inside(again not seeing any sign at the door). There were two local LEOs doing extra duty. As my wife and I stood in line to get a soft drink, I looked outside....then I saw the white stick on letters next to one of the doors..."NO CONCEALED WEAPONS ALLOWED, VIOLATERS WILL BE PROSECUTED". The total area of the sign was 12"x5" and was next to only one of the many doors(I checked) My Sig is in a belt holster under my wind breaker at the 4 oclock position. Do I go outside and put my gun in the trunk..(the movie was going to let out at 1am) or do I chance that the LEOs that are standing next to the ticket taker won't see anything.

What do you do when you see that sign on the door....And just saying "I won't go there or shop there" is not always a option.
Example..have you seen a movie theater that allows CCW. I called 3 of the major theater corps today..they all have a No Weapon policy.

What do you do??

Redleg

Private Policy vs. Law

No private citizens' policy on CCW overrides state law, one way or the other. As a movie theater owner/operator that's basically all they are, a private citizen. In Georgia you can carry in any public place with the exception of sporting events and establishments serving alcohol for consumption. Note that in many cases, the theater included, the term "public place" by law, applies to private property. The words "place" and "property" confuse some. As an LEO, I'm not looking for the responsible gun carrying citizen anyway. I'm looking for the gangbanger with the piece in his baggy pants pocket. Bottom line, carry legally and responsibly and you won't have any problems.

mjustice

Does this movie theater serve beer? If not, my understanding of KY law (albeit limited, since I am not a lawyer and I don't live in Kentucky) is that there is no criminal restriction on carrying in a movie theater.

Now, if their policy is "no weapons", then you can charged with trespass (in most states) if you refuse to leave after they discover that you have a concealed weapon.

But, as HaveGun implied, if you go in concealed, they'll never know, and hence cannot "discover" what you are concealing.

It sounds like the pukes are using the word "PROSECUTED" instead of "ejected" in an attempt to intimidate you. Don't fall for it.

MJ

D.W. Drang

I don't know The Law in KY.
Actually, I hestiate to say that I "KNOW" The Law in WA, either, but in WA a business MAY ban CPL holders from carrying on their premises, but they MUST have their policy posted at EACH entrance to the place of business.
If, for some reason, they discover that you have disregarded theirpolicy and are carrying anyway they must ask yuo to leave--if you refuse, they may call the police who will then ticket you for a trespassing infraction, which is a misdemeanor.
Very few places of business in WA are posted.

Tainted

If I have my 1911 concealed they should not even know it is there so I would not worry about going ahead and watching my movie "armed". However one thing that that sign means is if you were to become involved in a life threatening situation and you use your pistol to defend yourself. You will have nearly NO legal protection. You probably would never carry concealed again. But on the brighter side YOU WILL BE ALIVE! Its a easy choice for me:)

You mentioned that it said no concealed weapons. I have only seen the NO WEAPONS ALLOWED signs. If it said no concealed weapons I would just take off my jacket and leave it in the car;)

Attachments

• bunny.jpg
    bunny.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 174

NINEX19

D.W. Drang

I have been trying to find information about the usage of signs by businesses in reguards to ccw in Washington State. RCW 9.41 does not say anything about signs being posted or obeying. Could you point me to which WAC or RCW covers this? Thanks.

Greg L

In KY, unless you are prohibited from carrying there by state law (police stations, schools, and the other usual victim disarmament zones) you can carry anywhere (more or less). If the owner of a store has it posted as a no carry zone all he can do to you (if he even discovers that you are armed) is ask you to leave. If you don't and make a fuss about it then you can be charged with armed tresspass. If you say "ok" turn around and leave then there is nothing that he can legally do to you.

As usual YMMV.

Greg

5pins

There is no law that requires the owner of privet property in Washington to post a sign. If you are on privet property and they find out that you are armed, all they can do is have you leave. The posting of signs under RCW 9.41.300 (5) only applies to government buildings.

Zundfolge

I would go down there and photograph all the doors that are unmarked.

Then if you ever get pinched carrying there you pitch a fit with the manager that there was no sign.

I seriously doubt that anything would come of it. More then likely the sign wasn't inteded to be for you, but for non CCW holders.

If you're weapon becomes necessary while there then I doubt their little sign is going to mean a damn thing (it won't to the criminal who you would have to draw down on).

ViLLain

Although it would be easy to just walk into the theater concealed and no one will ever know. Why would you want to spend your money in an establishment that does not respect your privacy? Spend your money elsewhere! And make sure you let them know about it.

papercut

RedLeg, I love cops like you!!!

RH: I'd probably do the following:

1) If it isn't actually illegal to carry in a posted no-weapons location (i.e., the theater), then I'd go ahead and stay for the movie.

2) The next morning (or as soon as you can), return with a camera and photograph the front of the theater, the doors (in groups), and work your way down to the sign. Three or four photos should be enough.

3) Write the theater corporate office and explain that you respect their corporate policy and will therefore no longer patronize their business. Of course, being a responsible person, you wouldn't want any of your gun-carrying friends to get into trouble. So, also let the corporate hacks know that you will spread the word to your friends about their policy in order to help prevent accidental violations of their policy by your friends. Also complain a little about the size and location of the sign--include the pictures. (Properly done, a small amount of sarcasm here can work wonders.)

Then let us know what kind of answer you get!!

El Rojo

I am not into the whole boycott everyone and everything that is even remotely anti-gun thing. Sorry it just isn't going to happen. If I were to see a sign that says, "No weapons allowed," I don't care. I go anyway. Really I see it as blatant defiance of their stupidity. I also see it as an opportunity to be able to take action and save those people's lives should something go wrong. Could you imagine how quickly their minds might change when a private citizens saves their arse or their employee's arse in a self-defense situation?

I carry to our local hockey games all the time. I carry everywhere. The nice thing about the PRK is there is so little concealed carry (except in my county) that no one even worries about putting up signs. I just blend in with the sheeple so well. And as has been mentioned so many times before, the key term is "concealed carry". They should never know.

In this case would I have returned to the car? No way. Just keep it conealed and don't sweat it. I carry to the theatre nearly every time I go.

Baba Louie

Could they be posted...

due to Insurance policy reasons? I mean you're not gonna "break a law" and I'm not gonna "break a law" (well, not one of the Ten Commandments anyway), but if someone does ( a terrorist?) and no signs are posted, a number of lawyer's are gonna have a heyday.

Gives everyone en edge.

It's like the "No Skateboarding" signs I see posted everywhere.

Now if they've got a metal detector and a policeman or two standing there, that might make me re-think carrying any kind of large metal object through the "Instant Victim" machine (or even spending money watching a movie there).

To answer your question; I go watch the movie and don't worry about what others think about me, I'm not a threat. I just plan on getting home safe and sound.

By the way RH, what movie did you see?

Adios Qweeksdraw

Redleg

Georgia Law & CCW

Thanks, papercut.

I should probably clearify something. As this was RH Factors thread and he is from KY I didn't want to bog it down with GA law. However, I neglegted to mention a few other places that concealed carry is prohibited in my state. In addition to the places mentioned above, churches, public buildings (courthouses, post offices etc.) public gatherings (sporting events, political rallies etc.) and school zones (duh) are also off limits. GA statute 16-11-127, among others, covers CCW. It is far more complex than I could ever explain in this format, however, as a peace officer I have a responsiblity to give the most accurate information I can. I don't want to be the guy someone blames if they find themselves in a mess. The fact remains that legal and responsible carriers need to know their state/local laws. To many officers out there don't know anything about the 2nd ammendment or RTKBA. This doesn't make them bad officers, it just means they'll enforce these laws differently than I would. As for the officers at the theater RH, several of the other posters here are correct. They most likely didn't even notice you let alone your gun. Even so, you were probably only looking at ejection if discovered. The signs and police were a scare tactic. Just curious, were they actually police officers or just security guards? As a cop I'd have a hard time enforcing a sign like that.

RH Factor

Just so you know...they Were local police officers........and we saw the movie "THE ROOKIE".....it was long..but pretty good.

yankytrash

I realize the general sentiment of non-carriers and occasional carriers may, indeed, be, "No big deal, just leave it in the car. Sometimes you can't avoid the place," (be it work, grocery store, or what have you) "so boycott isn't an option."

For those of us who regard carry as not-optional, but necessary, we look at the "No Weapons Allowed" sign as this:

"An armed robber will come in here, and he will shoot you & your family for the contents of our petty cash drawer and lack of witnesses. Or who knows? Maybe you'll get lucky today if you hide well."

Probably doesn't fit on the 12"x5" sign, but most people who post that sign hope you don't read the fine print anyway.

Contact your state's major progun lobby.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
When Texas first passed its CHL laws, quite a number of businesses posted "no CHL guns" signs. The lawyers jumped in with the information that such a sign meant that the business assumed ALL liability for the safety of unarmed/disarmed customers. Lotsa signs came down.

To me, the obvious question is, if you're truly concealed in your carry, who's gonna know?

Next, if you come to truly need deadly force in self defense, how would you have been better off not having your gun in compliance with the sign? What's your priority? Living, or complying?

But I do believe that property rights include "no guns", as well as "shoes and shirts required". My disagreement with the attitude doesn't mean a right does not exist.

FWIW, Art

sig970

Thankfully my theater does not advertise the no weapon policy. I frequently go to the late show (10:00) after my kids and wife have hit the sack. I walk in with a Sig in my left jacket pocket, and my treat of choice in my right. I was taught in my concealed weapons class that you should abide by the establishments wishes. Why in the world would they put that sign up? Is it because of a bad experience in the past.
I went to the movies one time and the guy next to me bent over, his shirt fell back, and exposed the grip of a S&W .44 mag. I was horrified!!!! #1 because he was my brother, and #2 because I thought the packed theater would scatter. No one moved. No one noticed, and he felt bad.

Concealed Concealed Concealed.....

What do you do at concerts? No guns, knives, cameras, tape recorders, and an active frisk.