CCI 550 versus CCI 500 small pistol primers

iluvlabs1

I have been reloading 38 Special for a few years for target shooting. I normally use 158 grain, .358 diameter SWC above 4.0 grains of Bullseye and a CCI 500 small pistol primer. The rounds are shot in either a S&W or Ruger .357magnum revolver. The loading manual data is based on use of a CCI 500 primer.

I was recently given an quantity of CCI 550 small pistol primers. The manual shows these for some .357 magnum rounds, but not for the 38 Special.

Should I be concerned, or does anyone see a safety issue, if I use these CCI 550's in lieu of the CCI 500's for reloading as described above?

Thanks.

Uncle Buck

Back a few years ago when primers were hard to find and expensive, the only ones I was able to locate were the CCI 550 primers.

I reduced the loads 10% and started very low. I do not remember any problems that I had using these.

I do not think I would use them in a small case (9mm and smaller), but with a .38 special and higher, I would not be very concerned. (Just my opinion)

89blazin

mag primers

I have used mag primers in 38 special for years. No issues, but I have never loaded to max published, I normally load right in the middle of min and max published loads.