Caution--experimental (speedloader) Work Underway

WESHOOT2

So I tried the HKS 29 speedloaders with my 45 Colt Redhawk today.

Mixed results.

IMNSHO some modifications may be required for reliable feed AND ejection (big troubles here; cases sticking to star), and I suggest a long pointy bullet for easy insertion.

Pretty sure that I won't be using this combination for IPSC again LOL.
(After all, I still have the other three, and I already know the 41 and 44 work; still collecting speedloaders for the 7.5" 357.)

WESHOOT2

NEITHER (?)

Seems when the speedloader grips the cases it 'splays' them slightly, just enough to give a little grief when trying to slip those speedy devils into the charge holes........not 'aimed' right.

And, the star grabbed those (easy slide out of cylinder) cases and hung on tight!
Real tight.

Still think the 41 Mag makes most sense (if using Redhawk, an act which many feel makes zero sense LOL).

Hey! It ain't over.....................................................................just getting started.

C.R.Sam

Tim....couple of months ago we stayed up nearly all night playin with different loaders n guns.

Again ?

Just went through my HS 29 loaders. All fast with jacketed HP or round nose lead. Fairly fast with SWCs but it helps to have palsy to shake em into line. Wadcutters.....forget it, time the reload with a sundial.

Shaky seems to be a plus.

Rubber grips a minus.

Sam

WESHOOT2

My cases were sticking in the star, and hanging up (occasionally) on the Pachmayrs.

Think 41 Mag best (at this point; haven't tried the 357) due to their smaller diameter (less grip panel interference), and less tendency to jam in star (tougher case -- less expansion?).

Perhaps a gentle chamfer and polishing of my 45 Colt's star and chambers............(hate to, cause this gun takes some real stormers -- need a first-name friend at Ruger service LOL).

WESHOOT2

ANOTHER THOUGHT (WHERE IS BING CROSBY WHEN YOU NEED HIM?)

Since it was an outdoor IPSC match, in Vermont, in February, in a snowstorm, with the cylinder full of snow and moisture (did I mention snow?), I wonder if the (very) wet gun was in any way contributing to ejection difficulties?

I used new cases, a 230g FMJ (for 45ACP), and Universal Clays. It made Major.
I made mistakes.
I had fun.
I'm warm now.

bfoster

I wish that one of the brass manufacturers would make 45 Colt cases for DA revolvers. There is precedent: the U.S. government made cases with a 0.536 (nominal) rim diameter for the M1909.

Bob

Hemicuda

the HKS mod. 29 is what they recommend for my Dan wesson .44 mag...

the things are a bit sloppy in that 29... makes them basically jump into the gun...

could it be that the 29 is cut to be loose on .44, but tight on .45, so it'll work on either, but might bind a bit on the .45 LC?

TEXAS LAWMAN

Have you tried..... ?

Have you tried the HKS loader made for the S&W 25-5 (I used to carry this gun & two HKS loaders on duty)?

Always worked fine... but, the R. Redhawk may have a larger cylinder hole pattern

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
Hey---Don't laugh at me, but - - -

- - -back in the olden days, before S&W came out with the 25-5, I had a M-28 converted to .45 Colt. I used HKS speedloaders for the model 29, and they worked fine, due to similarity of RIM diameter (not case dia.) of .44 mag and .45 Colt.

Might give this a try.

bfoster - - - Right about the 1909 ammo. Problem was, that THOSE cases wouldn't work in the Colt Single Action Army in .45 Colt caliber--Rims too broad, turning the SAA into a three shooter. Significant disadvantage.:D

I dunno--There might be enough demand, and, if so, I'd bet Star Line would answer the call.

Best,
Johnny

Bart Noir

Johnny G, I have read that the 1909 .45 cartridges not only worked better in the 1909 (New Service) wheelgun, but that it was plus that they didn't fit the SAA. That way, US Army could keep old black-powder sixguns from being over pressured by modern smokeless powder rounds. So, did any Army or Guard units still use SAA in 1909?? Don't know , but Roosies Rough Riders used them in Cuba, only 10 years before, and I think some were used in the Philippines when the locals were so rude as to keep charging after hits from a wimpy .38 service gun. Which leads to why the 1909 was adopted in the first place, as the 1911 was being developed. They wanted a .45 and right now, sorta how I often feel.:D

Bart Noir
"A government that seeks to protect man from the results of his folly will succeed only in creating a nation of fools." - Edmund Burke

mikey357

Aaww, c'mon, Tim, just "pony up" the "Green" for the S.L. Variant Loaders that'll WORK RIGHT!!!....mikey357

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....all MY speedloaders were ORIGINALLY DESIGNED to be used
with the gun and cartridges I'm using them with....

WESHOOT2

SO I GOT TWO MORE FOR MY 357 REDHAWK TODAY...........

Lesseenow, I need ten loaders, at $30 each, so I need $300 total just for the 45 Colt Redhawk?

Nah.........

I'll save that; got eleven for the 44 Redhawk, and five or six for the 41 Redhawk, and five for the 357 Redhawk, and twelve for the GP's.................I'll skip the 45, 'cause I CAN use the M29's.

Yeah, that's what I'll do (if I were to spend $300 on new loading devices I'd buy more hi-cap mags for my Witnesses LOL.)

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
Bart Noir - - -

- - At first, I was ready to dismiss the thought, in the belief that all smokeless .45 Colt ctgs were/are loaded to pressures safe in the older guns. I still tend to think this is/was the case, but I don't have any reference material at hand. If I think of it this evening, I'll check Cartridges of the World.

I just can't believe that all the ammo manufacturers would suddenly introduce ammo that was downright DANGEROUS to all those fine ole resolvers. The army, though- - - the U.S. Govt in general - - - They have always moved in strange and mysterious ways. Perhaps the 1909 ctg WAS some kinda super magnum of its day. Working against this thought is the fact that no one ever complained that the black powder .45 Colt load was underpowered. I believe the original design specs had to do with downing a HORSE with a single torso hit! And the (then) new .45 Auto ctg was actually less powerful--rather on a par with the .45 S&W issue ammo.

Good point, though.

Agree with your, "They wanted a .45 and right now, sorta how I often feel. :D"

Best,
Johnny

mdlowry

WESHOOT2, what speedloader are you using with the .41 redhawk? I've been thinking about picking up one of these. Are they as strong as the rest of the Ruger guns?

Thanks.

WESHOOT2

mdlowry

I use the HKS 57.

The 41 Redhawk (mine's a 5.5" stainless) is an unbelievably perfect gun; not as much recoil (ha!) as the 44/45, huge cylinder with smaller chambers, bullets from 170-265g, and OUT OF PRODUCTION.

Part of my Redhawk collection..........

Buy.

Daniel Watters

bfoster wrote:

I wish that one of the brass manufacturers would make 45 Colt cases for DA revolvers. There is precedent: the U.S. government made cases with a 0.536 (nominal) rim diameter for the M1909.

Georgia Arms once offered a .45 Colt DA load made with a special run of Starline cases with .45 S&W-sized rims. It isn't as big as the M1909's rim, but it beats the standard .45 Colt.

Blue Heeler

Speedloaders--------I'd love to get hold of some Jet-type loaders for my 32 H&R Magnum--I use the old "twisties" at present.Has anyone any idea who might make the Jet type?