Check list:

$550 or less not including rings
Mildot ideally FFP
side focus
variable power Max no less than 20X
no preference for brand
no preference for tube or bell diameter
no preference for specific eye relief

Tall order i know. Any help appreciated.

big al hunter

Check out Vortex Optics http://www.vortexoptics.com the listed prices are msrp, but most places are selling for a little less. Lots of models with different reticle choices and many with side focus and look at the warranty it is great. Start with the Viper series and work your way up. The Diamondback and crossfire series don't have side focus as an option.

jgcoastie

First focal plane reticle under $550 is a very tall order... Not to mention a minimum magnification of 20x...

The closest you'll probably get us a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm FFP

But, that one's gonna run you close to $900...

Is this gun going to be your long-range shooter? Or a hunting gun? If the latter, then a scope that big will be kind of unwieldy in the woods...

Jim243

300 Win Mag REM 700 26" BBL

Anything you get is going to be a little heavy for a long range hunting rifle. The larger the objective the heavier it will be. I would suggest nothing heavier than a 12 or 16 power 44mm scope. I would start out looking for scopes that will handle the 300 win mag recoil. Line up 4 or 5 that will handle the recoil and go from there on making your choice. Optics Planet is a good company to deal with, but aren't the only ones out there.

Good luck
Jim

I would go with this one:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/millet-tactical-riflescope.html

And really Bad A__, Comes with 35mm rings:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/millett...ticoated-reticle-1-4-moa-click-long-rang.html

Last edited:

stonebl

I just put a Millet 6-25 x 56mm LRS on my .308. I can't wait to get it to the range as soon as the rain stops.

Scoob956

I agree with jgcoastie, I would recommend dropping your ffp requirement, it will open up a lot of scopes for you to look into and you will get much better glass than buying a cheapy ffp reticle, if one exists. The least expensive decent option I know of is the viper pst.

Jim243 also nailed it, you should let us know what the intended use of the rifle is.

Most of the time 20x is somewhat useless. It's much better to have a very nice clear 10 power scope than it is to have not so clear glass at 20x.

ADIDAS69

Millet/Vortex

I was just about to suffer the horror of SFP, when i came across Falcon Optics offerings. Has any one ever used them? SWFA is the only retailer i could find and they can't seem to get a hold of them.

ADIDAS69

UPDATE

I went with the Millet LRS 1, the 300 rattled it something fierce and it has been sent to the manufacturer for replacement or repair. Whatever happens with it, it will be moved to a much lighter energy weapon. I picked up the trijicon instread. Violating some of my peramitters I know but **** needs to work.

Should have got a Leupold.

Every Scope of every model and size are tested at 375 H&H recoil levels 1,000 times. Every scope must pass this test before they will release that model to the public.

madcratebuilder

At your price point the Vortex Viper rifle scope would be a very good choice. Midway has a dealer special going on right now, $350 for a $450 dealer price scope. It's the 6.5-20X50 30mm side focus fine plex model.

Fusion

I know you already got something, but imo the SS 3-9x40 would be the best in that price range in this situation. However, you'd give up the side focus, and have to either get a used one or pay an extra $50. It would be well worth it imo though.