Caught the .410 bug

OkieCruffler

The Wife and myself have caught the .410 bug. There's something very satisfying about breaking clays with that 11/16oz of shot. So far we only have an old Sears and Roebuck singleshot, but I've got my eyes out for a Steven's 311 and The Wife thinks she wants a semi-auto. But we have found that these things are expensive to shoot. And the only shotshell loader I have is a Lee Loadall, and you can't reload .410 in it. So what is a good, cheap alternative? Seems to me that you should be able to reload .410 for next to nothing compared to my 12s and 16s.

Jim Watson

MEC.
A MEC 600 Jr will handle all your .410 needs. New list price is $107 but they are widely discounted and often for sale second hand. Powder and shot consumption for a .410 are, of course, smaller than for other gauges, but you still have to have that primer and wad. And the hulls don't last as long. But reloading will certainly get the cost down in proportion to the price of factory. .410s are high priced because sales are low, compared to 12 and 20.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Jim nailed it. Primer and wad costs are nigh identical to 12 gauge.

One bennie to rolling your own for the 410. Use of trap grade shot will definitely give you superior patterns to the store stuff. And the 410 can definitely use all the help it can get.

HTH....

Last edited:

K80Geoff

AH, but a 28 will give superior patterns and cleaner kills!

Just as pleasant to shoot as the 410, and the ammo cost about the same.

28 hulls are much easier to reload.

sm

Ditto the Mec
the old Win, 42 pump is a hoot if you can find one
Ditto on the 28 ga...real treat. IF you can find a 1100 or 870 in 28 ga, your gonna have fun. Ammo a bit pricey, but something about rolling your own and busting clays , birds, small game...

OkieCruffler

I can't argue that the 28 gives better patterns, but the 311 never came in 28 and I'm kinda fond with that model. I'm sure that the 28 gives cleaner kills too, but since I don't hunt, except for the vermin trying to overrun my yard, that doesn't enter into it. I don't mind watching the clays suffer abit.

12-34hom

410 guage.

I've shot 410 guage scatterguns for almost 40 years.

The next shotgun i buy will be a model 42 Winchester.

Low noise and recoil make it excellent for small game hunting.

12=34hom.

sm

Oh I understand the FUN, bunch of us used to dove hunt with single shot 410's--that was the only thing allowed on this fun hunt--what a hoot!

I echo the Win mod 42.
I think Bakil(sp?) does one, only thing I've actually held and shot is their bounty hunter one bbl has the 45-70 tube--whoa nellie!

Edited: try this site

http://www.lisc.net/p618.htm#eaa626