Casualty at range, $100 loss.

tangolima

I did it for the 3rd time in 10 years. I shot my chrony right between the eyes. My fault and my fault alone.

I test fired a cut-down Krag carbine for the first time with my handload. Aimed about 5" above the chrony. Problem was the rifle has a tall 1903 front sight. It shots way low unless the rear sight is set to 600yd. I should have bore sighted it before I fired. The 180gr cast bullet just went through, inflicted a horrendous exit wound.

I am going to put an end to this stupidity by getting a labradar. Just wait for sales to happen.

Be careful and don't be like me.

-TL
55686bc31499c371af11625f1da33c2b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

BillM

I've got a couple of F1 Chrony's that look very similar. Eventually I'll make a
set of bookends for my gun book shelf out of them.

reinert

A dear friend who passed away a bit over a year ago gave me his "Shooting Chrony, Master Gamma With Printer" a few years ago; just like new. He bought a labradar and told me he'd never look back, and he never did. I STILL haven't tried out my gifted Chrony, because I'm just too afraid I'll end up with the thing looking like the OP's unit. It's just kind of a keepsake I treasure from a good friend who's made the journey. I've never tried using any sort of chronograph to date, but maybe one day...

reynolds357

I have lost count of the shot chronographs I have seen. I cant help myself, I laugh hysterically every time it happens.

tangolima

I did laugh each time I killed a chrony till I realized I had just lost 100 bucks. At this rate I could have recouped the $500 labradar price tag in about 10 years. Not great but the convenience of not having to wait for cease fire to set up the chrony is worth half the money.

It is more than $100 actually. It was a beta with wired remote display. I can't do the cheaper alpha version as I can't see that LCD display 5 yd away.

Guys, do post when you see labradar on sales. Thanks in advance.

-TL

stagpanther

Don't feel bad, I had a chrony that I hated so much I bought a labradar and have never even remotely looked back. In fact, I occasionally got so fed up I deliberately aimed at my chrony--but of course missed.:rolleyes: How a serious reloader can get by without a labradar and quickload is beyond me. :D

zeke

Have shot a couple myself, back when they were cheaper. That is why some choose to buy inexpensive ones.

Scorch

I have 2 Chronys, one bought and the other gifted after the original owner watched somebody do exactly what you did. Got to remember the bore is 1-1/2" lower than line of sight! Ouch!

I haven't done that YET.

tlm225

I avoid this by placing a strip of blue painters tape across sunshade wires 4-5" above the chrony. That serves as a "don't aim below this point" reference. Of course that's no help if someone muffs a shot low.

armoredman

I shot my F1 on the 6th round I shot over it. Boom. Didn't have a chronograph for quite some time. I am VERY paranoid about my ProChrono I have now, as I can't afford to run out and get another one!
How do I survive without a labradar and quickload? Easily. I don't even know what either of them are. I load by hit and miss, by gosh and by golly, and have an absolute blast in between. ;) But I am small volume, maybe 100 max per loading trip to the bench, and testers are in ten round blocks.

AzShooter

I have a Competition Electronics Chronograph. The good thing about it is that if I shoot it I can send it in for repair and only pay a small premium to have it fixed. Not if I shoot it as badly as you did but I've lent it out and gotten it back with bullets through it.

I've bought a few Chrony's over the years, as they have come out with new models and have been very pleased with them.

Sevens

Full disclosure: I kind of hate chronos, but that is a major thread drift and nobody agrees with me anyway.

But to my point... you did great because you killed the world’s most frustrating chronograph! The Chrony series does a fine job of reading each shot and it’s micro brain has all the potential in the world to do extreme mathematical computations -BUT- it limits you to a 10-shot string AND it forces you to take the power of NASA and manipulate it all with only a ridiculous three old-tech click buttons.

When the day comes that my Chrony Beta Master takes a slug and explodes, I will crack a beer and celebrate. (after I get home of course, not on the range)

Forget the fact that I don’t enjoy time spent with a Chrongraph... the Chrony series is definitely the BEST chronograph to shoot and destroy! :)

Paul B.

"It is more than $100 actually. It was a beta with wired remote display. I can't do the cheaper alpha version as I can't see that LCD display 5 yd away."

Maybe this will help. When you're lining up the Chrony with the target and the rifle, if your scope is a variable do the set up using the lowest power on the scope so that when they are lined up the crosshairs are in the middle and about two thirds of the way up from the top of the machine. I killed three Chonograph over the years since I bought my first one. :eek: The first was like the OPs only not quite so bad Another happened when I was running some loads from a .44 SPL. and the bullet one of the posts holding the sunshade. The last one was actually my first chronograph, an old Oehler Model ten. It got so erratic I sent it back for repair. It came buck and went haywire again so I put me out of my misery by shooting the damned with a 30-06 IIRC. Since I described how I set up I haven't killed another one. :D
Paul B.

tangolima

The chrony works quite alright with me. I don't use any of the fancy features. Just take down the numbers and do my own analysis on excel, including taking out erroneous readings. With 10 years of continuous use, I have figured out solutions to problem of almost of any kinds. What I can't fix, other than this constant casualty rate, is the wait for cease fire to set up and the wait the other guys have to put up with me. That's probably the main excuse to upgrade. Upcoming memorial day is the chance. If I can a good deal, I will get a labradar. If not, I will hunt for another chrony and continue with the destiny.

Please help me out of this calamity by posting a link when you see a good deal!

-TL

Arub

Out of curiosity, how far out from the muzzle was the chrony set? I don't have the intestinal fortitude to set mine in front of the at any range, just set it up 10 to 15 feet from the muzzle.

tangolima

Out of curiosity, how far out from the muzzle was the chrony set? I don't have the intestinal fortitude to set mine in front of the at any range, just set it up 10 to 15 feet from the muzzle.
About 5 yd. You will get erroneous readings if you put it too close. The gas comes out of the muzzle would trigger sensor #1 prematurely. I agree putting anything in front of the muzzle this close is risky. If you accidentally hit it, flying debris may hurt you or bystanders. Another reason (excuse) to upgrade. Thanks.

-TL