casting your own for a modern muzzleloader

LOUD

I was just wondering if anyone was casting their own for a modern 50 cal muzzleloader. I have only fired copper jacketed /saboted projectiles . Any info on this subject would be appreciated.............LOUD

sorry I didn't realize there was a separate section for bullet casting , my mistake!!!

Jim243

Nothing wrong for casting your own ball bullets for your inline. Or you could cast any of the 45 caliber bullets (ACP, Colt, 45-70) and use them with a sabot in your 50 cal inline with no problems.

Jim

458winshooter

50 cal cast

I cast a Lee 320 gr REAL 50 cal for my CVA Hunterbolt.I hand dip them in a homemade lube of 50/50 beeswax and Crisco.I leave the base covered with the lube and put a patch made of an old cut up t-shirt in 3/4 inch squares in between powder and bullet and this I saturate in Bore Butter.I started with 70 grs of FFG and went up to 90.Groups tightened up at the higher loading and I stopped there.This loading shot 3 inch groups at 100 yards and I never worked on it further.I used all stick-on wheelweights as my lead to get as soft a mix as I could with what I had on hand.

Pahoo

Can do !!!

I was just wondering if anyone was casting their own for a modern 50 cal muzzleloader.
Not to be picky but I'm assuming that you are referring exclusively, to Sabot loads. I hard cast .44 and .45 for .50 M/L's, out of range lead and most of that came out of jacketed pistol bullets. The only thing you need to watch, is to match-up your sabots to each caliber. .... :)

Now, there are some heavier bullets that I would love to cast but cannot locate their molds. For example, some boat-tails.

I also cast conicals but not the R.E.A.Ls ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!