Casting Ventilation setup

TJB101

I’ve been wanting to do this for quite some time. Long winters in PA. About $25 into this for fan and duct. Had the under cabinet lights and fireproof drywall. Really hoping the lights can take the heat. Haven’t fired it up yet. Thoughts? I’ve been wanting to cast when the weather is less than accommodating.
90e514e34a5f8b1239069b0edc13fa01.jpg

KEYBEAR

Looks Very good . I lost a good friend to lead poison he cast bullets in his Yard Barn .
No fan bad ventilation he lasted about three years past away at 65 .

TJB101

Looks Very good . I lost a good friend to lead poison he cast bullets in his Yard Barn .
No fan bad ventilation he lasted about three years past away at 65 .

I was worried about that as well ... I’ll handle lead all day, bare handed, but worry about the fumes.

reinert

I've been casting bullets since '76. Muzzleloader round balls since then (thousands and thousands), and my own alloy mixed bullets for B.P.C.R. since '99 (20:1 lead/tin). About 20 years ago, I had my blood tested for heavy metals, and literally nothing showed up in my test as far as regarding anything harmful running through my blood. Now, all my casting is done in front of a sliding garage window, with two, stacked, heavy duty floor fans drawing anything fume-wise from the pot. I can see any vapors, smoke or any mirage looking "essence" all heading to the fans and out the window. It works very well for me, and I'm good with it. I'm 69, and now, to me, good ventilation is an absolute must when casting these days. I'm good with my system.

BTW, your system looks very good for the business. Have fun makin' pills! One other thing; WASH YOUR HANDS (even after taking off the casting mitts) anytime you leave your station. Our house has the laundry room right off the garage when walking into the living quarters. I stop and wash my hands anytime I pass through there during a casting session.

pwc

I would put a piece of clear plastic, hinged to open up, over the top half of the opening. Fumes could form faster than the fan can exhaust and "boil" out around the open sides.

Use the highest cubic feet per minite fan you can find; no matter how clean you are, lead dust will escape inside your house. Protect the kids, cast in the garage or shed.

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
Thoughts?

I've got a couple. First, where is the exhaust located??? And, what is it??

Second, while a royal pain, and possibly added expense, find out the difference in your locality (if there is one) between what makes you physically safe, and legally safe.

Depending on where you live, discharging "hazardous material" to the environment (such as an unfiltered exhaust) might set you up for a HEFTY fine, and other legal costs.

We live in an era where you need government approval to let water run downhill, and often have to pay for the same.

ms6852

Amazing how times have changed. When I was a little kid I used to help my father who was a teacher and a plumber. Back than we used to use lead to join cast iron pipes for sewage/drainage. I would pack the joints with oakum and than pour the lead into the joint space under his supervision. I don't think back than things like fumes from melting lead was ever a concern, but we did not have the knowledge we have now 50 years later. Luckily all the lead melting was done out in the open. Great set up you have there by the way.

Fumes from melted lead are still very little practical concern because lead doesn't boil at its melting point and it's heavy, so it doesn't easily go into the air. What you are most concerned about is water-soluble lead compounds. I know people play with a lot of different things for fluxing and I suppose it may be possible to create a soluble lead compound that becomes airborne by using the wrong flux. But we had a member who had a friend who did lead contamination testing go over his loading bench and casting bench who found nothing to be concerned about except in one place: the floor around his vibratory tumbler. All the primer residue vibratory cleaning turns into dust (which includes water-soluble lead salts) was a big source of a dangerous a form of lead. It's another reason for liquid or SS pin cleaning.

gwpercle

Amazing how times have changed. When I was a little kid I used to help my father who was a teacher and a plumber. Back than we used to use lead to join cast iron pipes for sewage/drainage. I would pack the joints with oakum and than pour the lead into the joint space under his supervision. I don't think back than things like fumes from melting lead was ever a concern, but we did not have the knowledge we have now 50 years later. Luckily all the lead melting was done out in the open. Great set up you have there by the way.
My Mom let me cast bullets on her gas stove in the kitchen , the stove she cooked our food on , she even gave me an old cast iron pot to melt lead in....
Yeah times have changed ...I wish it were 1965 again I liked it .
Gary

GTOne

The danger of casting is burning oneself, not lead poisoning.
If you are melting down junk it is a good idea to have an exhaust fan taking out who knows what might be mixed in or on it, though.
But it won't be lead fumes.

TJB101

I would put a piece of clear plastic, hinged to open up, over the top half of the opening. Fumes could form faster than the fan can exhaust and "boil" out around the open sides.

Use the highest cubic feet per minite fan you can find; no matter how clean you are, lead dust will escape inside your house. Protect the kids, cast in the garage or shed.

Someone else recommended a lip on the front of the unit... I fabricated a 6” high, hinged, clear plastic plate that I close when needed. I think that will help out. Regarding the highest cfm fan... the unit I bought was the cheap, contractor grade base model. I’ll see how it does with the first test this weekend. And yes, I’m in the garage. Thanks for the feedback.

TJB101

The danger of casting is burning oneself, not lead poisoning.

If you are melting down junk it is a good idea to have an exhaust fan taking out who knows what might be mixed in or on it, though.

But it won't be lead fumes.

This is a small 10 pound pot and the ingots I use are relatively clean. I will do some fluxing but it should be bad. I’ve got the big cast iron pot and burner for melting scrap ... that’s summer time fun, outdoors.